Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

*waves hand*

Once you grasp that it is a mixture of carnival barkers, pantomine, audience participation and stunt work then you get the appeal.
    I concur - took my boy to two local events in the last 4 months and we've had an absolutely fantastic time.

There's no pretence that it is real life anymore and this helps a lot. It's no different to watching a serial on Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
      Why would anyone pay $100 for a t-shirt or $500+ for shoes? Even if you can afford it, why pay so much when you can get the same thing, essentially, for so much less
      The thing is, you can't get essentially the same for less. You can get something that looks a bit like it, but will fade, fall apart, stretch, shrink, wear, tear and fray. I buy my jeans from Uniqlo. They're £40 for selvedge denim, which is very reasonable, and they look similar to more expensive denim, but I'm under no illusion as to the quality. I wear them to work, and wearing a pair of £40 jeans to work is a lot more acceptable to me than wearing a pair of £100+ jeans, given the hammering they'll take.

There's still a lot of paying for the name or the label that goes on, especially by me (soz), but it's more complicated than just wanting the most expensive version. There's a long history of low income groups wanting to dress sharply, stand out, or whatever, from the Victorian Scuttlers through Teds, Mods, Casuals etc. It's partly "look what I can afford" but mostly a visible secret handshake, a signal that you understand something, that you're part of something. That's arguably more pathetic, but there you go.

These days I basically dress like a mountaineer, farmer, geography teacher or Italian yacht ponce, depending on the time of year. Jeans, t-shirt, jumper, whatever, they can be cheaper, but a good jacket and a good pair of shoes, they're expensive. The cheaper ones just aren't good enough.

Comment

Yeah, almost the only thing I'll spend 'good money' on is shoes. I don't wear ties or jackets or that, but I buy jeans by the truckload and view them as semi-disposable. I work with people who'd spend $500+ on jeans, and I can barely keep my emotions in check when I hear that. But a good pair of shoes is key.

Comment

The most I've ever spent on any item of clothing or shoes is £120 on a pair of smart knee-high boots. I think I once spent £100 on a coat and I spent £100 on a prom dress when I was a teenager. These days I rarely spend more than £20 on any item for myself. I just don't have that kind of cash to waste.

Comment

Cheapish non-sweat footwear is something I'd be on the lookout for.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
              I'll just leave this here.
              Ha - I know there are a few 'golfists' on here. But...

1) I can see that that's immensely skilful, but...not especially exciting. (Well, not to me at any rate.)
              2) You had to go back fifteen years to find your example.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                Yeah, almost the only thing I'll spend 'good money' on is shoes. I don't wear ties or jackets or that, but I buy jeans by the truckload and view them as semi-disposable. I work with people who'd spend $500+ on jeans, and I can barely keep my emotions in check when I hear that. But a good pair of shoes is key.
                "a" good pair? Not, like, 20?

Comment

Oh, well...yeah...I mean, sure...I have more shoes than is, you know, generally necessary. I have a small, you know, shoe issue.

I COULD STOP ANY TIME I WANTED, THANK YOU.

Sorry...as I say, sure. Maybe a couple of pair.

But... look over there at Toby....

Comment

I admit to being part of the OTF shoe fetishist club too. Red pair, green pair, orange and beige pair, grey pair, two black pairs, two brown pairs. You just can't have too many.

Comment

The thing is, people get their kicks from different things. A person who couldn’t imagine spending £500 on a T-shirt might blow three times that in a season watching footy. Or collecting stamps, or spins running races. Or cycling. Each of them will have the same response to the others.
                      my mate thinks it’s hilarious that I have so many trainers. I think it’s hilarious that he goes on 3 skiing holidays a season.

Wherever you place value, some other person will disagree.!so you know, deal with it.

Comment

Sure, hobbes.

Apart from golf, right?

Comment

What I can never get is do golfists actually aim for the hole when chipping or are they really just looking to get the ball to within a few feet to then make it a one putt. That Tiger shot may be incredibly skillful but did he actually mean for it to go in. I'm prepared to be persuaded.

No one will ever convince me that a hole-in-one isn't a complete fluke though.

Comment

As someone whose "short game" was always the strongest bow in my (far from perfect) quiver, I would say that it depends on the particular situation: the lie, the speed and contours of the green, and the match situation.

Sometimes one goes for it; other times the risk/reward ratio counsels against that approach.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                              Sure, hobbes.

Apart from golf, right?
                              I fuckin’ love golf, me.

Comment

On your tee shot, nobody expects that the ball will go in the hole in one shot. But you still aim for the hole. On your second shot, nobody really expects that their second shot will go in the hole, but you still aim for the hole. On your third shot, maybe you get close to the hole or maybe it goes in. On your fourth shot, maybe it goes in.

So, for any of those early shots to find the hole might be called luck, but if the intent was to put the ball in, then who's to say for sure?

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

I fuckin’ love golf, me.
                                  Same.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                    As someone whose "short game" was always the strongest bow in my (far from perfect) quiver

You must have had a very small bow or a very deep quiver. And where did you put the displaced arrows?

Comment

That's what caddies are for, NS

Comment

Golf is awful on many layers.

Comment

They’re called fairways.

Comment

WOM must play on different courses.

One often doesn't want to aim for the hole on one's drive, nor on one's approach shot.

Comment

One aims for the hole in the sense that they play in that direction, knowing it's the ultimate goal.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                                Don't worry - come the glorious day...

Comment

Back on the truths I can't quite believe theme, and apologies if I've done this one before, you travel further on the top deck of a double decker bus than on the bottom deck (on a globe).

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                                    I've never played golf in my life but can still get misty eyed about some of the layers.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X