• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    I would find that disconcerting.

Here's a contemporary take on the ice

..but, but, why?

I can't say I noticed the ice at PJs but, if it was there, I probably wrote it off as a lazy bartender getting rid of some ice or somesuch.

Comment

The ice lowers the temperature of the urine thus reducing the smell.

Comment

It probably also reduces the chance of splash back given the unusual surface too.

Comment

The latter was the explanation I was given as a child, though the former also makes sense.

The "PJ Clarke style" of urinal was common among establishments of its type when I was a kid and there are still quite a few extant examples. They weigh a tonne and are a chore to remove if one is so inclined (particularly if one is trying to preserve the plumbing).

The only "high design" toilet that I recall was the Philippe Starck joint in the bar at the Royalton on 44th Street, which was the first high profile place here to have one of those "endless waterfalls" against a marble wall. All very "Bright Lights, Big City".

The Royalton and the bar are still there (and recommended in a neighbourhood that can be bleak), but the waterfall is gone.

The public conveniences in Bryant Park (right behind the Library on 42nd) have been restored and are quite lovely.

https://untappedcities.com/2017/04/2...-300k-upgrade/

Comment

The only "high design" toilet that I recall was the Philippe Starck joint in the bar at the Royalton on 44th Street, which was the first high profile place here to have one of those "endless waterfalls" against a marble wall. All very "Bright Lights, Big City".
            Starck designed the Felix restaurant in the Peninsula Hotel mentioned upthread. It opened in the mid '90s. Statement toilets were clearly part of his schtick.

His website has the strapline, 'My territory is elsewhere and nowhere' which is one way of looking at the international luxury hotel circuit, I suppose.

Comment

If we're talking straight up weirdness, I went to a place called Sketch in Mayfair, which was (turns out still is) a Pierre Gagnaire restaurant which was all overblown design (prices as shocking as you'd expect) ... The bogs were weird Invasion of the Body Snatchers pods.

Comment

The public conveniences in Bryant Park (right behind the Library on 42nd) have been restored and are quite lovely.

]
                No, it's no use. I've been gawping at this one for a minute or two now and I still have no idea what you're meant to do with these. Are you supposed to climb in with your shoes and trousers off, squat, sit down, or...??

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                  No, it's no use. I've been gawping at this one for a minute or two now and I still have no idea what you're meant to do with these. Are you supposed to climb in with your shoes and trousers off, squat, sit down, or...??
                  I thought those were just sinks, with the photo shot at waist height, not floor level?

Comment

Yes, they are sinks.

There are about ten other photos in the link, but I thought that was the best in terms of the overall aesthetic

Comment

Ohh-hh!

Yes, the shot has just snapped into perspective for me now. I completely misjudged the scale before and couldn't quite work out what I was seeing.

That's a relief...
                      Last edited by Various Artist; 09-02-2020, 23:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                        How was the Maldives, I was going to go in December. Ended up in Jamaica instead?

Comment

Well I can only talk about one resort - Anantara Veli. The only holiday in my life which genuinely exceeded my expectations. But it's not an activity holiday. It's a lounging about holiday. Seven days more than enough. Go de luxe bungalow not starter. Much better jetty position for not much more cost. Relatively.

And the Maldives are just about politically OK again now.

Comment

The lavatories in the RIBA on Portland Place (London) are absolutely luxurious. Vast, with roomy cubicles boasting proper doors down to the floor, nice fittings as one might expect. Worth popping in there just to use them (also to browse in the bookshop with its fine selection of architecture books and contract documents. Sadly the cafe is no longer on the airy, sweeping first floor). This recommendation applies to the facilities for both of the most popular genders.

Comment

Aww, most of us only get the chance to see inside one or the other. You cheated DM

Comment

Working...
                              X