The Weird, Forgotten Drinks Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Weird, Forgotten Drinks Thread

Maybe the biggest surprise was that you can still buy Um Bongo.

Anyroad, drinks that only you remember.

1. Bird's Apeel. Powdered orange juice! Well, orange drink. I remember nagging my mum for this. I was easily impressed in the late-70s.

2. WFLA. I think this was a milkshake drink from the early 80s. Never had it, but the weird advert still lingers in my head. It consisted of surreal phrases with the initials WFLA—one was Winged Frauleins Land Askew

3. Long Life. The lager brewed for the can!

4. One-Cal. Proto-diet drinks. Current whereabouts unknown.

WFLA looks like it came from the Max Headroom universe.

Comment

I can still sing the One-Cal advert song...

Comment

Tanora is still the soft drink of choice in Cork city.

Last edited by Diable Rouge; 04-02-2020, 14:58.

Comment

Also in gin form:

Comment

Comment

I remember Apeel (fucking stupid name, it still looks like "Apple" even at this remove) and Long Life.

Does Babycham belong here?

Topically, Corona soft drinks. Every bubble's passed its fizzical.

Comment

Quatro was definitely one where the adverts were more memorable than the product.

I've got a couple:

Zig & Zag Jelly Juice - so bizarre and short-lived, there's no images of the packaging on Google. And yes, it was a tie-in with the Irish-accented alien puppets. And yes, you did have to try and drink bits of jelly through a straw.

Krusty's Yellow Kola

A staple of pound shops circa 1999-2000; incredibly sweet with a citrusy tang. I really, really liked it. Being able to get six tins for a quid helped as well.

Comment

Comment

My aunt used to drink this weird stuff back in the early 90s and was gutted when they stopped making it:

As for soft drinks, Scotland in the 70s and 80s was not as dominated by Barr's as they'd have you believe nowadays. Yes, Irn Bru was sold everywhere, but there were two competing firms who used to send their lorries round the housing schemes so you could buy a crate or two.

Solripe:

And Alpine:

Comment

I actually enjoyed Zima. I was younger then...

Comment

Orbitz was a bizarre drink from the company that made a ton of money on Clearly Canadian seltzer. I tried one, once, and have no idea how you were meant to drink more than one. It was almost...thick...like a syrup, and had gelatinous bubble tea things floating in it. Horribly sweet is the only thing I can think to say about it. And expensive.

[The Wiki page states "The gellan gum created a very weak yield stress which has been measured to be ~0.04 Pa.". I recall it being a bit more ~0.05, but I'll take their word.]
                        Last edited by WOM; 04-02-2020, 15:37.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                          I actually enjoyed Zima. I was younger then...
                          I would have bet our flat on this being the case

Comment

In Rotherham we had Hague's...

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                              Does Babycham belong here?.
                              Afraid not—you can still buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

Afraid not—you can still buy it.
                                Seriously? fucking hell

Comment

'Drink o'clock' is rubbish. It sounds like something a burgeoning alcoholic might say.

Bird's Apeel - agree, very poor name - struck me as being much the same as Kellogg's Rise & Shine. (My mother bought the latter once or twice. Powdery-tasting, IIRC. As I suppose it would be.)

Solo - there's another canned drink that disappeared without trace very quickly. The commercial featured a mountaineer who somehow had a convenient supply of the said lemon soda ready for him at the top of wherever it was he was climbing.

WFLA ('Wrote for luck again'?) I don't recall whatsoever.

Comment

I was a big fan of this before it disappeared. Great for hangovers. It was so acidic, you could probably have descaled the khazi with it.

Comment

I'm sure many did. Unwittingly.

(NB I think that the word order is wrong in Bird's Apeel. It should be 'refreshing instant orange drink'.)

Comment

Quatro was lovely. More importantly, my Mum liked it, meaning if we asked for one we were likely to get it, as it meant she had an excuse to have one too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

(NB I think that the word order is wrong in Bird's Apeel. It should be 'refreshing instant orange drink'.)
                                          I'd agree

By this chart https://dictionary.cambridge.org/gra...jectives-order
                                          I'd say refreshing comes under "opinion" (1)
                                          instant is "physical quality" (3)
                                          and orange is "material" (8), "type" (7), or arguably "colour" (6)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                              I was a big fan of this before it disappeared. Great for hangovers. It was so acidic, you could probably have descaled the khazi with it.

The lime version was a favourite morning after drink with me too. It was a bit more in your face than ostensibly similar San Pellegrino offerings, IMS.

Comment

Seeing UA's picture of Crystal Pepsi reminded me that there was briefly (mid/late 90s) a clear cola sold in the UK under the name of Tab Clear.

Can you still get Virgin Cola?

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                                                  My aunt used to drink this weird stuff back in the early 90s and was gutted when they stopped making it:

As for soft drinks, Scotland in the 70s and 80s was not as dominated by Barr's as they'd have you believe nowadays. Yes, Irn Bru was sold everywhere, but there were two competing firms who used to send their lorries round the housing schemes so you could buy a crate or two.

Solripe:

And Alpine:
                                                  What Alpine lacked in quality it made up for in quantity. A jeroboam of ginger.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X