The Final Countdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Final Countdown

So, how do our British friends plan to mark their last few hours as EU citizens - a binge of Walter Presents or European series on Netflix? A suitable Italian meal and Continental wine combo? Or perhaps just turning the telly off to avoid BoJo's speech later.

I will actually be working as I teach a class at 1800 EST. I think it's easily avoidable over here in the US anyway as impeachment has elbowed out the story.

How much "out of Europe" will the UK actually be - economically, politically and legally?
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 31-01-2020, 13:10.

Comment

It feels like less of a story here than you might expect. It's done, it's like the day after the Notting Hill Carnival, no sign of what went before, nothing on the streets. Most of the anger and the sadness happened around the General Election.

I plan to get drunk.

Comment

Going to bed before 11pm, and waking up tomorrow hoping it was all a bad dream.

There's very little talk of it in our office today, partly because there are so few people in. The coronavirus has been the bigger story today - posters up in the kitchen, an all users email with some usual nonsense about managers having to decide whether to allow staff to travel internationally on business. So I've told my lot there is absolutely no way they will be flying to Wuhan next week, I don't care what their excuse is.

Comment

Just carrying on as usual, really. Which is not to say I'm happy about it.

Comment

I'll probably avoid being near my local pubs at 11 and hope there are not too many fireworks...

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
              How much "out of Europe" will the UK actually be - economically, politically and legally?

Economically and legally, not at all, as the UK will now enter the transition phase when we're still subject to EU laws and rulings.

Politically, quite substantially. There will no long be UK MEPs or, presumably, ministerial involvement in the EU decision-making process, though I'm not sure if the restrictions are total.

Comment

I'll put this here.

I think it is important to note on the eve of Leave there was a single route to Remain, and it was one that the entire Remain movement fought against solidly for 18 months with more vociferousness than No Deal or Hard Brexit itself.

Just before it goes in the memory hole with all the other underhanded shit pulled by centrists over the last four years which if you'd listen to them now 1) didn't happen, 2) if it did happen it wasn't bad, 3) if it did happen and was bad it was actually the fault of the victims.

Comment

I don't think we, the left, are wholly blameless but, dear Lord, history will judge harshly those whose response to the referendum result in 2016 was to launch the failed PLP coup against Corbyn. What a display of spiteful and strategically clueless fuckwittedness that was, and the bad faith it generated never dissipated, which served to cripple the Remain/PV campaign, which was inept enough as it is

Comment

Everyone and everything associated with this clusterfuck can get in the fucking bin.

I'll be ignoring the lot of it, and Johnson can shove his message of unity up his fucking arse.

Comment

https://twitter.com/JeremyCliffe/status/1223195557918859264

Unfortunately "satire"

Comment

Pretty much what Toby G said.

A desperately sad moment, which I shall be ignoring as much as possible for the sake of my own mental health

And the real shit is yet to come, in 11 months from now.

Comment

the only question I have is if Big Ben is going to bong for Brexit

Comment

No, it's not. It's unavailable due to repair work. Unfortunately my idea of smashing Nigel Farage repeatedly into it, face-first, didn't get the appropriate backing.

Comment

I've been to a beer festival, had a chippy tea and plan to ignore anything that happens today as it feels like it'll be 11 months before it really hits home.

Comment

Normally I'd be in town at the moment, having a few pints in Paddington. Just couldn't face bumping into the sort of folk infesting central London tonight, so I'm stuck in Harrow.

Still, it's not too bad; The Whole Wide World has just been on in the pub...

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                  No, it's not. It's unavailable due to repair work.
                                  Haha

Comment

Tonight is a nothing. No-one mentioned it at work today.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/leftiestats/status/1223291229175238663?s=21[/URL]

Comment

I shall be loading 23 tonnes of Coca cola, which I will drive home to the depot, unload, and then go home and get pissed and miserable.

I shall avoid any news outlet like the plague.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/leftiestats/status/1223227595560562689?s=21[/URL]

i‘ll be reminiscing

Comment

Yes, that was the major lost opportunity throughout the Brexit votes - I also recall that the somewhat lesser option of the Customs Union failed by 3 votes because the SNP whipped against.

Details on latter here:

https://ig.ft.com/brexit-second-round-indicative-votes/
                                            Last edited by Diable Rouge; 31-01-2020, 19:55.

Comment

Yegads. Let's not, eh?

Comment

Consensus building simply is a pretty alien concept in British politics, I blame FPTP and the absolutism it fosters.

Comment

I shall be sat at my desk drinking my afternoon coffee trying and failing to work out how to create a 3d model showing the eastern Pacific freshwater pool, while trying to not rise to bait put out on OTF.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X