Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy Invasion Day to all our Australian posters!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Invasion Day to all our Australian posters!

(Ronseal thread)

Thanks Guy.

Sort of covered in the gong hey fat choi the noo cobber thread.

Comment

I thought it deserves a thread of its own, for the likes of all us liberal metropolitan elite sockpuppies (or whatever it was Little Man Rod called us)

Comment

It's also a day of significance to those of us who went to infants and junior schools named after Boro lad Captain Cook.

Comment

Woman dies in lamington eating contest on Australia Day (first time I've ever heard of a lamington).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-51259819

Comment

In such tragic circumstances it would be insensitive to discuss my feelings on lamingtons.

Comment

Years ago I was out and about in London with one of my Australian cousins and we bumped into a then colleague of mine on the train. Somehow the subject of lamingtons came up, with the colleague insisting that they exclusively came in a pink coating and my cousin saying that this was not the case at all. It got quite heated, the colleague refusing to concede the point to someone who might reasonably be expected to know more about the things. It only occurred to me later that the colleague's only visit to Australia had been for Pride one year, perhaps giving him an unrepresentative lamington experience.

They don't look very appetising.

Comment

They’re not.

Comment

I agree with Sits.

Choking on a lamington sounds like a nightmare way to go, worse even than most of the many methodologies that Australia offers in the way of innovative early death

Comment

Lamington drives were always happening during the golden age of Neighbours etc. I think Mrs Mangel was meant to make a mean lamington. Although I always thought they were lemingtons.

Comment

The first (and last) time I encountered Lamingtons were when they were being sold by the Aussie mum of one of my son's primary school classmates at the school's "International Day" event, though the occasion sticks in my mind mainly because of the mum rather than the somewhat unappealing tucker.
                      Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 27-01-2020, 23:43.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                        Although I always thought they were lemingtons.
                        Thank god you weren't on the train with me and my cousin that time.

Comment

I came across them when I lived in NZ, so clearly they crossed the Ditch at some point. I must've eaten at least one then sworn never again. They're sort of fluffy and light yet bland, stodgy and desiccated at the same time, somehow less than the sum of their parts.

In my mind's eye they're always pink too, by the way.

Comment

I had a Lamington 2 weeks ago and it was very nice. I bought it because it reminded me of the madeleines which were the first thing I made in domestic science class.

Comment

See!
                              https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/english-madeleines

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                The first (and last) time I encountered Lamingtons were when they were being sold by the Aussie mum of one of my son's primary school classmates at the school's "International Day" event, though the occasion sticks in my mind mainly because of the mum rather than the somewhat unappealing tucker.
                                I feel I need to know what was so memorable about the Mum

Comment

Skippy's Mom has got it going on.

Comment

MsD nailed it.

Comment

She's a kangaroo?

Comment

Who? MsD?

That must be handy at getting a good view of the stage at Giuda gigs.
                                        Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 28-01-2020, 14:10.

Comment

I'm concerned that you may have dropped your son off outside the zoo every morning for seven years. You definitely checked the sign by the gates on the first day?

Comment

I misread the original post - I thought this was when you were at school yourself, and had a crush on your mate's mum.

Comment

I'm getting confused now and I was there.

Comment

I was trying to think of a typical Aussie name, Skippy was the best I could do.

Comment

Working...
                                                X