'Gong Hey Fat Choi' the noo, Cobber!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Gong Hey Fat Choi' the noo, Cobber!

It's going to be a busy weekend indeed for those who like to take part in as many worldwide celebrations as the M&S foods special aisle can throw at them, as Lunar New Year is tomorrow, slap bang in what is always the busy "Burns Night then Australia Day" double-header.

I have a personal reason why lunar new year tomorrow is a curio for me - it falls just short of my birthday (which is Australia Day) but last year fell after it. So the year of the Pig, now ending, did not contain my birthday, but the year of the Rat (beginning tomorrow) will have 2 of them.

My town is staging a two-week festival to mark the occasion - a few Chinese students in the local college, and it's the ideal time of year to drum up a bit of tourism.

Comment

I especially love Lunar New Year as it is the one day each year the BBC wakes Ken Hom from his cryocapsule to appear on Saturday Kitchen. Ken still only looks about 55 but in fact has been doing this since before the early days of television.

Comment

We have raided the M&S Chinese Dinner for a tenner range for tonight. That’ll be the extent of our culinary nods to all these celebrations. Think we’ll be passing on Haggis & Neeps, and Kangaroo steaks (or whatever the traditional barbie food in Oz for the big day is).

Comment

You can all boycott Australia Day if that makes things easier. I’ll take the free day off, clearly but not to celebrate.

Comment

We had an Australia day in school which involved kangaroo and ostrich burgers for lunch, hunt the kangaroo stickers around school and a fling the flip flop competition that I was adjudicating. Money was raised from a car wash of the teacher's cars (I am not sure this is a specifically Australian cultural innovation) to go to a school in Australia whose building has been burnt down. Some teachers did some Chinese New Year stuff but, to be frank, it was too much for me. Burns Night didn't even figure in the equation.

Comment

Well none of that is celebrating the genocide of indigenous Australians, so it seems a good thing. Apart from the meat.

I’m sure there’s many an OTFer who will embrace the concept of throwing a flip-flop. As far away as possible.

Comment

I'm making haggis spring rolls

Comment

Are you then going to bbq them?

Comment

It's also dydd santes dwynwen today (the welsh equivalent of valentine's day) where we celebrate santes dwynwen's decision to swear off men forever.

Comment

Our nod to Chinese New Year is ordering Chinese takeaway for dinner later and the kids are making paper lanterns (my son is decorating them with Christmas stickers much to his sister's consternation). I might make sugar mice with them later for year of the rat.

Comment

Haggis and tatties and neeps, oh my!

There's a sauce drizzled over the haggis, by the way, which is why it looks like that. Creme fraiche, Famous Grouse & lamb stock, basically.

Comment

Comment

That’s good.

Comment

Brisbane Invasion Day march. Channel 7 claimed 500 people! Overall it was a weird week or so. Right wing outlets had to try and start a culture war skirmish themselves, while it seemed many, many, more just quietly supported Invasion Day marches and the debate over changing the day has swung dramatically towards the correct side.

Comment

Federation Day would have been ideal but the proclamation was January 1st so that's no good. I wondered about the foundation of the city of Canberra as capital but as Mrs. S pointed out, the rest of Australia couldn't give a toss about Canberra.

I dont know if there there are any dates significant to indigenous people which don't reference something terrible.

Comment

Well, establish a voice to parliament. Accept a recommendation.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                    We had an Australia day in school which involved kangaroo and ostrich burgers for lunch, hunt the kangaroo stickers around school and a fling the flip flop competition that I was adjudicating.

it's a thong you bloody philistine...

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                                      I'm making haggis spring rolls
                                      I made haggis lasagne once... my wife (of Italian background) and kids refused to touch it. My old mum forced down a few mouthfuls to be nice. I quite liked it to be honest....

Comment

Originally posted by willie1foot View Post

it's a thong you bloody philistine...

I'm not sure that a fling-a-thong contest at a British school would be particularly well-received by the parents or governors!

Comment

Working...
                                        X