No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably off me, but I didn't test positive. Anyway, she's clear now.

More disturbingly my brother's picked up a dose in hospital.

Comment

They took to handwriting us letters while the pandemic was on. Someone who lives in Goring - the opposite side of town to here - sent me three over the course of the pandemic. My neighbours got the same. Goodness knows what the bill for stamps was, because they were all posted out rather than hand delivered.

Comment

Same here

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post

They took to handwriting us letters while the pandemic was on. Someone who lives in Goring - the opposite side of town to here - sent me three over the course of the pandemic. My neighbours got the same. Goodness knows what the bill for stamps was, because they were all posted out rather than hand delivered.
          They are traditionally not a cash-strapped organisation, though that may have changed in recent years.

Comment

My father-in-law currently has Covid. He had a cough for a bit, then fell out of bed in the middle of the night. My mother-in-law and brother-in-law couldn't get him back up so ended up calling an ambulance. He ended up in hospital for a couple of days but is back home again now. He has every underlying risk factor possible (overweight, diabetes, sleep apnoea, heart problems, previous history of cancer, Middle Eastern man over the age of 80) but he may still outlive us all.

MIL and BIL have also caught some sort of respiratory virus but are currently testing negative for Covid.

Husband has a cough and is feeling crap but testing negative for Covid. He's been invited for a free flu jab because he's my carer so we need to book that in when he's better.

Mum is off for her fourth Covid jab today.

Comment

My dad's had it, having previously always tested negative even when sleeping in the same room as my mum when she had it a month and a bit ago. He had a few days of feeling really, really tired all the time and now feels basically OK but is taking it easy.

Comment

I unwittingly gave it to my partner, my son and my mother.

Good times.

I finally tested negative after 11 days. Still have nasty cough, as I tend to have after any kind of airway infection.

Comment

Is anyone still using the NHS Covid App? I'd forgotten all about it until yesterday evening when I got a 'ping' saying I'd been within 2 metres of someone who had tested positive the day before. So I'm (a) surprised it is still being used, (b) surprised people are still testing and (c) surprised they are bothering to enter the result on an App which is all but forgotten about. A year ago it meant 10 days in quarantine but all this did was to tell me to be a bit careful in a roundabout way. And looking at it today, there's no indication that I've been pung at all.

Comment

https://twitter.com/BristOliver/status/1575398178630909953?t=48rxFXffUGkBMeyQ0T0GsA&s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                      Is anyone still using the NHS Covid App? I'd forgotten all about it until yesterday evening when I got a 'ping' saying I'd been within 2 metres of someone who had tested positive the day before. So I'm (a) surprised it is still being used, (b) surprised people are still testing and (c) surprised they are bothering to enter the result on an App which is all but forgotten about. A year ago it meant 10 days in quarantine but all this did was to tell me to be a bit careful in a roundabout way. And looking at it today, there's no indication that I've been pung at all.
                      Having pretty much forgotten about it too, I got rid of it just a fortnight ago when I noticed it merrily updating itself and thought it was a bit pointless still having it taking up space on my phone. It never seemed like it served a great purpose for me given how little time I spend in the company of other people on a day-to-day basis anyway.

In the last couple of days, however, someone from our friendship group and also the person my husband sits directly across from in his office have both tested positive, so I guess we'll be getting the testing kits out again here...

Comment

My mate Mel was supposed to be bringing her twins over to see us today but she has had to cancel due to suspected covid. It seems rife again now.

Comment

NHS staff are now no longer expected to test twice weekly, but only when symptomatic or if a household member has tested positive. So there will be plenty of asymptomatic covid+ healthcare staff treating vulnerable patients. I can't see any issues there.

I can see why the change was made though, loads of asymptomatic covid+ healthcare staff at home leads to very bad health outcomes too.

Comment

The missus went into the office on Monday for a meeting that didn't need to happen. Someone at the same table as her was coughing all through it and subsequently tested positive. She's been testing negative so far, but has a very, very mild, very occasional cough (no other symptoms) which might be covid and might just be regular allergies as her allergy medicine has run out. I have my suspicions that she's going to test positive in the next couple of days and I'll test positive a couple of days after that - although I'm currently a couple of steps removed from a confirmed case, and also sleeping in the guest room as an extra precaution. Fingers crossed, though.

Comment

The latest UK statistics: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63088223

Comment

More than a million people, apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                  From that BBC report

"In the UK as a whole, it is the first time estimated Covid infections have risen above one million since the end of August 2022."

Erm... end of August 2022. That's a month ago. Are you sure you mean that??

A glance at the graph in the report says, yes, they do mean exactly that. But there is a very big caveat about that factoid:

So, the number of Covid infections hit around a year-long low at the end of last month... and are beginning to climb from that again. Why they have chosen to couch it in emotive language such as "the first time... risen above one million... since" is anyone's guess.

The key number here appears to be the jumps in the rate of hospitalisations, rather than the numbers of new infections. Is that a sign of a more virulent variant circling? Or a decline in vaccine-induced immunity? Both are clearly baaad things. Hopefully it is something else.
                                  Last edited by Janik; 30-09-2022, 16:17.

Comment

https://twitter.com/paulgp/status/1576899971466825728?s=20&t=FZ4x5G3qe1iJNHia6ptT3Q

Comment

Ringo Starr has COVID and is recovering at home.

Comment

After spending the entire pandemic worrying about my parents getting infected, I was the one who infected them. They of course shook it off in no time, and I'm still coughing up buckets of snot every morning a month later.

Boomers.

Comment

So, I mentioned on the personal impacts of Covid thread that I was infected, and got myself some Paxlovid. I also mentioned it to my sister who was astonished.

The prescription seems to be massively different in the US and UK. Just by being over 50 or having a BMI over 24.9 I am eligible for the drug in the US, and supply is sufficiently widespread that there's no rationing and no attempt at rationing. Everyone can get it. And it appears to work really well for almost everyone with mild symptoms. I have a slightly runny nose and a poor attention span right now, and that's it. The missus improved dramatically after starting on it.

Yet I looked up the eligibility in the UK, and even my dad - who's been at death's door on multiple occasions in the last decade - would not be allowed to get a 5 day prescription. The difference is astonishing. It's what you'd expect for the difference between a third world country and a first world one. What is the reason in Britain? Is it lack of supply, lack of money, or some hard-headed old fashioned resistance to pharma and the belief that you should just suck up the misery?

Comment

I'd never even heard of it until you mentioned it a day or two ago

Comment

This isn't a failed state U.K. thing. Europe has been much slower on the uptake. Partly because in many cases it only mitigates symptoms for a while- when the course finishes, the symptoms can return with a vengeance.
                                              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 04-10-2022, 13:45.

Comment

That is not what I have read about the drug. It seems to massively reduce hospitalisation and death. And the Paxlovid Bounceback thing that gets a lot of discussion seems to only happen in something like 3-5% of cases.

Comment

Here's what I read on it earlier this year:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...-miracle-drug/

Comment

Nothing I read in that article suggests there's any problem with taking it unless you're already on other antivirals. And the bounceback data is all at the original 3-5% rather than the quoted expert's guess of 20% (and, with few exceptions, the bounceback is generally just testing positive again while having no symptoms). It is weird, the resistance that people have to pharma treatments that seem to help most people.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X