Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow.

That's a very effective map, though I'm a bit surprised that there aren't a lot more darker colours in Eastern Europe.

Comment

Uzbekistan has now reported more confirmed cases of Covid-19 than China, though only 649 deaths to date.

Comment

Thanks for that link Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
          The long read by Arundhati Roy in today's Guardian suggests that loads of people are dying without being tested (and so are not attributed to Covid)
          It's a great piece. Spoke to my parents yesterday. My cousins and their families in Delhi are all fine as indeed are the family in Punjab.

Comment

How can the Indian Govt say what the numbers of infections/deaths are? They don't even know how many people there are in the country...the government has been disgraceful, and bordering on criminal negligence.

Comment

There were over 15,000 deaths attributed to Covid-19 worldwide yesterday, the first time that figure has been over 15,000 since February 3rd 2021.

Comment

I don't think that anyone is expecting absolute precision

It is the pre-meditated lies and suppression that is so troubling, especially when paired with the BJP's electoral strategy

Comment

Yeah Sweden is a fucking joke. The authorities, the government and the completely ineffective opposition. The guys at the public health authority have been completely wrong, but everybody goes along with it, because the Swedish state is perfect and if these guys are in charge at the public health authority then we must respect that that's how the country work. The health minister got vaccinated two days ago. The nurse vaccinating her had a mask on. No mask on the health minister.

I will write in "Jacinda Ardern" at the next election.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    I don't think that anyone is expecting absolute precision

It is the pre-meditated lies and suppression that is so troubling, especially when paired with the BJP's electoral strategy
                    It's all of it ua, it's all of it. India has helped make me, and what the BJP and the RSS have done to despoil what India stands for is beyond contemptible. It moves me to tears...

Comment

It somehow always hurts more when it is your own country

I still hope that eyes may open, as horrific as the causes may be

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                        Wow.

That's a very effective map, though I'm a bit surprised that there aren't a lot more darker colours in Eastern Europe.
                        Eastern Europe is on a downswing at the moment. Two weeks earlier and that map would have looked much darker over here

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Eastern Europe is on a downswing at the moment. Two weeks earlier and that map would have looked much darker over here

Yes, it's a one-week movement snapshot rather than a reflection of current absolute rates.

Comment

https://twitter.com/kenbensinger/status/1388239872134057984

Comment

Fabulous map, but I hadn't realised just how strong the border between Sweden and Norway is. Who patrols it?

Comment

Australia is making it illegal for its own citizens to come to the country from India. Oddly this never happened when the US and UK were going badly. Flights home were few and far between and horrendously expensive but it was never made a crime to come to your own country.

Partly caused by the federal government's abdication of its responsibilities around quarantine and an inept vaccine roll out. In addition a dog-whistle to extreme right wing voters (see also warmongering with China).

Comment

So it isn't even a question of quarantine?

That seems rather disproportionate from a public health standpoint, but I don't know what level of protection the right to travel has in Australia.

The cricketers seemed to think that they could wait it out in the UK or Gulf if it was impossible to come home directly from the IPL.

Comment

The idiots in charge of the public health authority have announced that kids can start playing football matches again and Sweden can open up for events up to 500 people.

In an unprecedented display of rebellion, three Swedish regional boards have told them to fuck off.

Comment

I know of four of my colleagues in India who have tested positive with Covid throwing a couple of projects into mayhem (which is why I have not been posting the last three weeks). Whilst I have been expresssing my concern for their health in meetings and offering to pick up the slack, others have been whinging about why the organisation I represent are using Indian staff on the project and not "on-shore resources".

Some people are cold and heartless.

Comment

And racist.

Comment

Both of one of my co-worker's parents in India caught it ⏃ few weeks ago, but thankfully have recovered

Comment

Whereas one of my wife's team, Indian origin, has just lost his sister and brother-in-law in a couple of days, and can't return to grieve with the family.

Comment

Brazil has overtaken the UK's Covid-19 death rate (in terms of deaths per million population that are officially attributed to Covid-19), pushing the UK into 14th position.

Comment

Can I ask a quick question of you UKers? To come to the UK I have to book and pay for 2 PCR tests which I'll have on day 2 and day 8 of my stay. Somewhat annoying as I'm vaxxed up but rules is rules and I'm OK with that. However the price of these 2 tests is ?210, which is incredibly high (a test here costs around ?40). Does anyone know where this money goes? Is it to the state as a form of taxation? Or is it to some shitty private company run by tory donors?

Thanks for any info

Comment

Shitty company. There are about 200 suppliers listed on the Gov.U.K. Website, most of the testing seems to be done by a company called Oncologica

Comment

Bugger. Thought it probably would be, but I had a little piece of hope.

Thanks Nef for the info

Comment

Working...
                                                    X