No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The latest grim news from Brazil: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-56657818

Comment

4,211 deaths from Covid-19 recorded in Brazil yesterday. That may include a backlog from the Easter weekend but it's still the country's biggest daily death toll and extremely high. The only country that has exceeded that daily death toll is the USA which recorded more than 4,300 deaths per day on three days in January 2021.

Comment

more on Brazil in this thread

https://twitter.com/terrence_mccoy/status/1379788552637141002?s=20

Comment

The number of deaths officially attributed to Covid-19, 2.9 million+, is now higher than the population of Albania.

Comment

Yesterday, we recorded 13,025 deaths worldwide from Covid-19, which is the highest its been since February 11th 2021.

Highest numbers of deaths were from Brazil (3,733), USA (873), India (684), Poland (638), Italy (627) and Mexico (603).

Comment

India recorded 126,315 new cases yesterday, its highest daily tally so far.

Comment

Gibraltar, Czechia and San Marino have all reached death rates of over 2.5 deaths per 1,000 people, or more than 1 in 400 people dying from Covid-19.

Gibraltar is actually 2.791 deaths per 1,000 population or 1 in 358 people dying from Covid-19.

Comment

Chile and Canada are the 22nd and 23rd countries respectively to reach over one million confirmed cases of Covid-19.

Comment

In the States, Ohio and Pennsylvania have also independently reached more than one million confirmed cases of Covid-19 recently.

Comment

Yeah, I really wish people would stop referring to "waves" - makes it sound as if increases are inevitable and out of our control. (Not talking about people on here btw, just reporting in general.)

https://twitter.com/AdamJKucharski/status/1380070610320130048

Comment

"normal for Maltby"

Stone throwers force closure of Rotherham test centre

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...shire-56663101

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                          "normal for Maltby"

Stone throwers force closure of Rotherham test centre

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...shire-56663101
                          The mind boggles.

Comment

Met up with a colleague in the children's hospital today who told me there have been several kids treated for the inflammatory syndrome triggered by Covid and needed "serious drugs". Wouldn't count as a Covid case necessarily. It's rare but a risk.

My colleague was also involved in a prevalence study that showed asymptomatic covid was rife in kids.

Comment

I'm interested in long term effects of covid in kids, which doesn't appear to have been well studied. There's a pre-print of an Italian paper that has about half the kids showing long term effects, but the effects seem (mostly) a bit nebulous and there's no control group so you can't tell how much of what they find is due to the covid infection and how much due to the general fucked up nature of life (which also has a lot to do with covid right now). There's no doubt that a small minority of kids have debilitating long term effects, but I'm wondering more about effects that are real but not (yet, at least) showing up as hospital visits.

Comment

I'll keep an eye out for stuff S. aureus

Comment

My problem with "waves" is the assumption that things were ever under control "between" them, i.e. governments pretending we'd reached the end of one.

Comment

This idea of waves beyond our control did produce one of my all-time favourite Johnson quotes:

"I think it was completely right to make our period of lockdown coincide as far as possible with the peak of the epidemic.”"

(Source: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-boris-johnson)

This guy is supposedly educated...

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                      My colleague was also involved in a prevalence study that showed asymptomatic covid was rife in kids.
                                      That doesn't surprise me given that they have gone back to school, but what does surprise me is that the figures for new cases still seem to be going down. I'd have expected the children to be giving it to their parents. There were only 2 new cases reported in my borough yesterday and 4 today. I know those figures don't tell the whole story but they are still very low.
                                      Last edited by Capybara; 09-04-2021, 09:57.

Comment

Daily new cases of Covid-19 in India yesterday were up 4.4% on the day before, to a new high of 131,893.

More worryingly, it's an increase of 61.9% compared with last Thursday's new case numbers. This is exponential growth we're seeing.

Edit: I initially compared with last Friday's numbers by accident. Comparing with last Thursday's is even worse.

Comment

Italy has recently overtaken the UK again in terms of deaths per thousand population (1.869 vs 1.863). This is likely due to the UK's lockdown since January and could easily switch again as the UK starts reopening, though hopefully there will have been enough vaccinations to keep the death rate relatively low.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                            Italy has recently overtaken the UK again in terms of deaths per thousand population (1.869 vs 1.863). This is likely due to the UK's lockdown since January and could easily switch again as the UK starts reopening, though hopefully there will have been enough vaccinations to keep the death rate relatively low.

Until fairly recently the UK was at the top of that grim metric, with only Gib, San Marino and Belgium above us, but in the last month or so a slew of East European countries have risen ahead of us. In the next few months it could be South American countries too.

Comment

Apparently despite the slow start to vaccinations in ireland, the number of deaths in nursing homes has collapsed, and since that's where about half of our deaths happen that's great news. (people don't generally get moved from a nursing home to hospital) Infections have also seemingly dropped a bit, They've fallen for three consecutive days, but since we're relaxing restrictions in three days time we need it to keep falling for some miraculous reason. And the fall is seemingly miraculous because people around here apparently heading off to visit their relations, 5 km rule be damned.

This row with the teachers unions about vaccinations is a bit of a disaster. The Govt Changed the order of how they would distribute the vaccines, to age, rather than vaccinating the teachers and the gardai, on the grounds that giving it to the over sixties first would have the greatest impact on 'outcomes'. Now the teacher's unions are losing their shit, and threatening to strike, and I can see where they are coming from. They've really been getting the shitty end of the stick, however this strike is a terrible idea.

There are three teachers Unions in Ireland. The INTO, are the union for national teachers. They are a really strong union, because they're in literally every parish in the country, and fighting them would be like taking on the GAA. Therefore they don't often have to do much. The Teachers Union of Ireland cover the State run sector, and are pretty bolshie. The Association of Secondary Teachers of Ireland cover teachers in the voluntary sector, and this was the union that my parents were in for most of their teaching lives. My dad was delighted to switch from the ASTI to the TUI when the schools amalgamated, because a) what kind of union doesn't want to be called a union and b) they didn't throw their weight around enough at the appropriate times, which meant that the risk of things degenerating to the point where you'd actually have to go on strike was greatly increased.

And teachers strikes always end in failure. Yes the impact of what you do by going on strike is enormous, and immediate, but after a very short period of time, everyone who isn't you, hates you. Whatever the rights and wrongs of your situation, they have to somehow look after their kids for an indeterminate period. There's also the issue that the teachers themselves know that this strike is fucking over the kids, so internal support fades quickly. And what quickly happens is that the substantial proportion of the population that actually hates teachers , and the people who don't have that sweet state pension, or conditions and protections also turn against them. This was true in the seventies, when teachers occupied a social standing on the tier just below priests, so it's massively more true today.

So any industrial action over this is going to piss off the parents involved, and since it ultimately boils down to a demand to be vaccinated first, is going to alienate everyone else who hasn't yet been vaccinated, and particularly the over sixties who strongly feel that their vaccine is already overdue.

Comment

Part of the reason for abandoning vaccination by employment type is that part of cohort 6 (health workers in non direct patient contact) no longer exists due to systemic fraud by HSE mgmt "encouraging" staff to falsely register as cohort 2 so they could get them all back in the office. A group of at least 50000 is now more like a few thousand unvaccinated, so that cohort was quietly cancelled to prevent further media stories and allow Paul Reid to hide behind his "marginal cases" of fraud bullshit.

Age ranking prob is the best way to vaccinate most, but if we insist on sending back all kids to school, and no one seems to be taking ventilation seriously and keep talking about washing down fucking surfaces for an AIRBORNE disease, and kids seem to be mostly asymptotic reservoirs of the dominant variant, the least we could do is vaccinate all teachers and SNAs. Especially SNAs. I'd expect the numbers to edge up from next week with mask under chin Breakfast Roll Cunts in full effect as construction is Back Baby along with the schools. Plus everyone being bored and breaking the meeting up rules.
                                                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 09-04-2021, 15:20.

Comment

Yeah, apparently only 0.1% of cases are due to surface contact, according to some recent study.

I remember in March/April 2020 that the Swedish health authority showed that increased awareness of hand hygiene and washing had brought down cases of Norovirus by 2/3rds, and so therefore they expected the measures would be working similar for Corona (they stated this). Because all viruses are the same, don't you know. Wash your hands and you don't get HIV.

Comment

Speaking of schools, the bottom right here is an intriguing data presentation that is being done for a few states

https://twitter.com/jkbren/status/1380292538708467719

Comment

Working...
                                                    X