Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

She is the one who wrote the cock in a pig story.
    Sorry, what?

Edit: no, wait, I've just understood it. I thought it was a pig story, and she wrote the cock in, like drew it or something, but I think I get it now.

Comment

15,791 deaths worldwide from Covid-19 yesterday, a new high. The previous high was around 15,230.

Comment

UK reports 1,564 deaths - highest daily figure yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
          UK reports 1,564 deaths - highest daily figure yet.
          "UK records 1,564 new fatalities to take country past 100,000 coronavirus deaths

More than 100,000 people have died from coronavirus across the UK since the disease first appeared in the country almost a year ago.

New government figures show there were a record 1,564 new fatalities, as a series of record-high death figures announced by the government brings the bleak death toll to 101,160.

More than one in ten of these deaths have been announced since the start of 2021.

The UK now has one of the worst Covid mortality rates in the world, at 151 per 100,000 people, ahead of the US, Spain and Mexico where ahead of the US, Spain and Mexico where there are 116, 113 and 108 deaths per 100,000 people respectively."

From the Guardian.

Extremely grim reading.

Comment

Bahrain appears to have massively increased its testing and is currently reporting that it has conducted more than 14 tests per member of population.

Comment

More than 10% of Gibraltar's population has tested positive for Covid-19.

Comment

Has anyone seen anything recently about recovered virus victims and their subsequent immunity/antibody levels?

Comment

So hospitals are divided into red (covid), amber (possible covid) and green (no covid). A doctor who works at a big hospital told me today they have no amber wards left. There are Covid outbreaks everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1349073823375777796?s=20

(REFUK being the Reform Party, Farage's new grift)
                    ReFUcK is a great name for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      So hospitals are divided into red (covid), amber (possible covid) and green (no covid). A doctor who works at a big hospital told me today they have no amber wards left. There are Covid outbreaks everywhere.
                      Is "yellow" not a word outside the US?

The color system is easier to understand than numbered tiers. It's not intuitive to sort out if a lower tier number is better or worse.

Comment

You don't get yellow traffic lights do you.
                        red
                        amber
                        green

Comment

Hence "RAG rating" which I presume USians would know

Comment

Amber is a nicer word, but I think of that as a slightly more orangish hue than pure yellow.

Pennsylvania's county risk system, which they seem to have given up on, was Green, Yellow, Red.

We don't call the middle/"slow down" light "amber." It's yellow.

This has given me unfortunate earworms from both 311 and Coldplay.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              Hence "RAG rating" which I presume USians would know
                              Nope

Comment

Amber isn't yellow.

Anyway the big hospital is fucked and rife with Covid was more my point

Comment

I see. I was hoping to create a diversion. The horror will still be there.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Nope
                                    OK well that's on me. I'd never noticed yellow traffic lights either.

RAG ratings are used a lot in project reports to indicate status. For example: In time and on budget = green. Over time or budget = amber. Over both = red. Gives a dashboard overview on a lot of metrics.

Comment

FWIW, I recall my mother calling them "amber" when I was a boy, but she was driving an Anglia at the time and "yellow" is very much US standard.

We use "traffic lights" for that kind of project status rating.

Comment

There are 4 covid statuses in Romania - green, yellow, orange, red (also used for weather)

Traffic lights only have 3 lights though

Comment

So, currently 1 in 10 worldwide deaths are in Britain? Yeah, but those Europeans are really fucking up on their vaccinating, aren't they?

I have no doubts about vaccinating at all. I do have massive doubts about long - term and short-term strategy in England. I'm a bit worried about this being a desperate, early doors, kitchen sink policy which they will habitually fuck up.

1500 poor people and their relatives have had a very merry little Christmas.

How fucking desperate is it that so many people can die and it's just a statistic on an apparently upward curve of optimism? What other country would tolerate this so timidly apart from the obvious one that comes to mind?

The biggest crime the tories have committed is that, as usual, they have managed to rip apart any semblance of community from the struggle against this virus. The tier system was a fucking disaster. It inherently made people glad they were better off than others, and deflected any sense of personal responsibility.

All in this together. Fucking joke.

Comment

1500 people is 10 very serious air crashes. In a day. Of which at least 8 were perfectly preventable.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                              FWIW, I recall my mother calling them "amber" when I was a boy, but she was driving an Anglia at the time and "yellow" is very much US standard.

We use "traffic lights" for that kind of project status rating.
                                              You're getting off lightly, in that you don't have to put up with people using RAG as a verb, as in "shall we RAG that?".

I confused a USian once when they went through a yellow light and I said "ooh, amber gambler" - I assumed amber was a thing in America, and then had to go on to explain the UK habit of scaring the population shitless with public service announcements during TV ad breaks.

Comment

7,421 deaths from Covid-19 in the UK in the last week.

Comment

For comparison, this Wikipedia page of United Kingdom casualties of war: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit...ualties_of_war

It lists 8,001 military and civilian deaths in total from EVERY SINGLE war since 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                                                    The tier system was a fucking disaster. It inherently made people glad they were better off than others, and deflected any sense of personal responsibility.
                                                    Agree with this - it created a lot of inter-area pissing, with people treating it like some sort of local bragging rights competition about how some areas were intrinsically better behaved than others. There's been a lot of that round here.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X