No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ireland still clearly doing miles better than the UK though. Fewer than 72,000 cases, just over 2,000 deaths, death rate less than half that of the UK's (412 deaths per million population versus 853).

Comment

Bosnia and Herzegovina now has more confirmed cases than China, and has recorded 2,576 deaths. It has a death rate of 787 deaths per million population. Better than France, worse than Bolivia.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
        There are a lot of unprintable views among healthcare professionals about many of the people catching covid, where they catch it and how.

The hospital I work in is officially in a "crisis" situation now.
        And this is why talking about reopening stadia for Football events right now is complete madness.

Comment

I'm finding watching any TV or films that were made pre-Covid to be a very weird experience at the moment. Whenever there's a large crowd, my internal voice is screaming "why aren't they wearing masks?" And people high-fiving or hugging strangers just seems baffling, why would they take that level of risk for such a patently unimportant social interaction?

Comment

I have been having the same experience.

It is striking to me how quickly I internalised the new normal.

Comment

I recall those times on packed trains, with dozens of people sneezing their germs all over, no masks, no basic hand hygiene, not even a tissue in most cases, just endless sniffles wiped by hand then hand touches everything..What selfish idiots we were, I hope we learned something.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                There are a lot of unprintable views among healthcare professionals about many of the people catching covid, where they catch it and how.

The hospital I work in is officially in a "crisis" situation now.
                It's important not to let up on the UK govt and their mishandling of this crisis. But there are an awful lot of stupid selfish ignorant cunts out there as well. It is possible to be angry with both.

Comment

Don't worry TAB, I find these days my rage levels are rarely exhausted

Comment

The new run of 'The Good Doctor' has been made during the COVID era and I assume had everyone in a bubble, but it is filmed entirely on an indoor set unlike, say, Blue Bloods, although that is also returning next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                      I'm finding watching any TV or films that were made pre-Covid to be a very weird experience at the moment. Whenever there's a large crowd, my internal voice is screaming "why aren't they wearing masks?" And people high-fiving or hugging strangers just seems baffling, why would they take that level of risk for such a patently unimportant social interaction?
                      Yeah, me too.

Also pretty much every dream I remember these days is a social distancing anxiety dream.

Comment

Well the UK's fine, because the Minister now in charge of vaccinating us all is coincidentally an old mate of Matt Hancock who has substantial experience of setting up an online opinion website. Will we all be dancing in the fucking streets by March? Go on you.gov to express your opinion.
                        Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 28-11-2020, 20:00.

Comment

I'm having the same experience watching TV. Even really old stuff, I'm finding it hard to dissociate from the new normal. I keep thinking "Why the fuck are you hugging? You have no idea what that idiot has been up to."

Comment

Myanmar now has more cases than China and 1,887 deaths.

There are 70 countries that have recorded more cases than China now.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

It's important not to let up on the UK govt and their mishandling of this crisis. But there are an awful lot of stupid selfish ignorant cunts out there as well. It is possible to be angry with both.
                              Yep. It's like it's a competition to find justifications to bend rules or loopholes.

Comment

I hate watching films and programmes with scenes of people in pubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                  The country which has conducted the most tests proportional to its population is Faroe Islands which has carried out nearly 3.4 million tests per million population, resulting in finding 500 cases of Covid-19, but recording no deaths yet.
                                  Didn't Slovakia recently try and test everyone?

Comment

Yes

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...261-3/fulltext

Comment

As for the reactions to watching TV etc., this is all from us as adults.* Imagine how deeply ingrained these attitudes are becoming in children.

* - and yes, as per Moonlight Shadow, I equally hope it will induce a long-term change in behaviour. At the very least a massive reduction in blas?ness about giving others infectious diseases. If I ever seen another advert for a cold symptoms remedy implying 'when your activities are too important to be stopped by a mere infectious disease which instead you could spread around and possibly kill someone, but you won't have to reschedule your meeting', I will be well up for murder.

Comment

I should read Balderdasha's post more carefully - the Faroes have done the equivalent of testing their entire population 3.4 times per person! Slovakia won't be matching that, even with their dubious, flawed mass testing regime.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                          The new run of 'The Good Doctor' has been made during the COVID era and I assume had everyone in a bubble, but it is filmed entirely on an indoor set unlike, say, Blue Bloods, although that is also returning next week.
                                          They had issues and shooting was shut down for some time. A friend had been a PA on the show since the beginning, but he didn't return when production restarted. I don't know if there was a connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                            As for the reactions to watching TV etc., this is all from us as adults.* Imagine how deeply ingrained these attitudes are becoming in children.

* - and yes, as per Moonlight Shadow, I equally hope it will induce a long-term change in behaviour. At the very least a massive reduction in blas?ness about giving others infectious diseases. If I ever seen another advert for a cold symptoms remedy implying 'when your activities are too important to be stopped by a mere infectious disease which instead you could spread around and possibly kill someone, but you won't have to reschedule your meeting', I will be well up for murder.
                                            The proper way to stop this is to ensure people get decent sick pay (as well as the necessary cultural changes in the workplace.)

Comment

I also find it odd to watch non socially distanced scenes in films. But at the same time I hope when (if) we go back to normal that human contact - whether it be handshakes hugs or greeting/parting kisses - doesn't disappear. I think the world would be a poorer place if that were to happen.

Comment

I've been asked this question: if you fly into England from Spain and a day later you have a flight to Norway (this person will be studying in Tromso for 6 months) what are the protocols and obligations involved? He has to stsy on a hotel near (I think) Stansted then the next day travel on public transport to Luton. How does self-isolation work in such cases?

Comment

Hungary has now recorded more deaths than China, 4,672 versus 4,634.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                                    I should read Balderdasha's post more carefully - the Faroes have done the equivalent of testing their entire population 3.4 times per person! Slovakia won't be matching that, even with their dubious, flawed mass testing regime.
                                                    Thanks for clarifying. Yes, that's exactly the case. My post didn't make it that clear. A few other small countries have done similar. Gibraltar, Andorra and Luxembourg have all conducted more than twice as many tests as their entire population.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X