Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Irish Govt are fuckin losing it as per this:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinio...-40086110.html

but fuck me the English and NI responses make fuckin Micheal Martin and the keystone cops look Resolute.

Comment

Tunisia is the fifth African country to report more cases than China, and has recorded 2,752 deaths.

Comment

Andorra has reached 80,283 cases per million population, or 8% of people confirmed to have been infected with Covid-19, the highest rate in the world.

Caveat that this is likely to be skewed by Andorra's tiny population.

Comment

San Mateo County had 215 new cases yesterday, its highest daily count yet. The previous two times it had over 200 were double days - ones where the day before was zero due to being a weekend or holiday, this time it followed a 110 case day. Things are not going well.

Comment

Just dropping in to thank you all for updates here. I'm trying to ration my Covid news but the thread is invaluable ​​​

Comment

I was chatting to friend today. His partner is from Taiwan and they, so far as is possible, are following Taiwanese protocols. These include having separate indoor and outdoor clothing — not just coats, jackets and shoes — everything. Taking a shower every time you return home, and leaving incoming mail unopened for three days. It made me realise just how badly prepared, and how myopic, the rest of the world has been over this outbreak.

Comment

I’m not sure all of that really helps. Few, if any, cases were transmitted from virus on surfaces.

Comment

Quite

What are they doing in terms of spending time with others, indoor activities, social distancing, etc?

Comment

All the stuff I’ve read on Taiwan is that they have near 100% mask-wearing and social distancing and we’re prepared with sophisticated track and trace.

Taiwan’s government is also working very hard to combat misinformation on the internet because they suspect/know Beijing is trying to undermine confidence in their government. That would come in handy right now.

Comment

My clothing choices are following Taiwanese protocols. Yeah, that's right. It's not that I've been swanning around in my sweats all day because I've stopped caring about my appearance. Oh no.

Comment

HP, I think all that it is true, but I'm struggling with leaving mail unopened for three days and having baseball games with thousands of fans with thundersticks and the like (the CPBL being the only Taiwanese event I've seen lately)

Comment

I was unaware they are having games.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            Quite

What are they doing in terms of spending time with others, indoor activities, social distancing, etc?
                            No time with others. The three of them spend almost all their free time in their condo. The two adults teach, and their twelve year-old daughter is at school. Which means they are all out of the house a fair amount. He is also involved in the BCTF (union.) Their groceries are delivered. She is a serious cook and has contacts among local Asian suppliers. They do all the rest of their shopping on one day in the week. D realises it's probably overkill, but they'd rather go in that direction, than push the boundaries. They live in one of the most culturally diverse areas of the GVRD, so are really aware of extremes, particularly in educational settings.

Comment

Thank you

They just seem to be very cautious, which is understandable

An obsession with surface contamination was very much part of the first wave here, but as pretty much disappeared.

Comment

Same here. Plastic gloves were mandatory in shops for some months; now, hand gel is encouraged and masks are compulsory.

Comment

The Oxford developed vaccine is reporting 70% efficacy, significantly lower than the other two.

Comment

But...

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1330785038737281025

Comment

Apparently, Astra-Zeneca (who are the big-pharma partner of Oxford University in this vaccine) want it to be available at cost (approx $3) in perpetuity. Now, I'm not necessarily assuming that's exactly true, but if it is it is really important and impressive. And if this low dose-high dose regimen is genuinely workable, then this could actually be the vaccine that beats Covid.

Comment

Steve Baker, Brexit headbanger MP who voted against the Human Rights Act is "looking at a copy of the European Convention on Human Rights" citing the right to a family life as an anti-lockdown argument without a trace of irony (or intelligence, although that goes without saying).

Comment

Indonesia is the 21st country to reach 500,000+ cases, and has recorded 16,000+ deaths.

Comment

The Czechs, despite managing to mostly avoid a first wave, are soon set to equal France's first+second wave deaths per capita.

Their curve over the past month or so is the steepest I have seen in any country at any time.

Comment

My understanding of what Taiwan had done right was closer to HP’s - super vigorous test and trace, heavily enforced quarantine on arrival and if you are infected/have contact by using mandatory tracking apps combined with phone calls and home visits, and widespread masking. And because case counts remain low - no more than ten cases on any day since April - it’s possible to have this regimen and have almost everything return to near-normal. If any European or North American countries had managed their lockdowns properly in the spring, they could have got to this sort of position, too. It’s slightly easier in Taiwan with a relatively small number of well controlled entry points, but it wouldn’t be impossible elsewhere.

Comment

All of which make the reported measures with regard to surface contamination appear to be even more ridiculous

Comment

Yep

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                                                    I have taken the following from the Office for National Statistics website for overall deaths in October 2020:

2.Death registrations and the overall mortality rate for October 2020
                                                    In October 2020, there were 43,265 deaths registered in England. This was similar to the number in October 2019 (eight more deaths), but it was 2,713 more than the five-year average (2015 to 2019) for October. Of the deaths registered in October 2020, 21,966 were males and 21,299 were females.
                                                    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/monthlymortalityanalysisenglandandwales/october2020

Yes, just 8 deaths between October 2019 and 2020 !!!!!

This thread, by an actual Tory MP (yes!), criticising some similarly reported figures in the Mail, is very good on this
                                                    https://twitter.com/NeilDotObrien/status/1330830796966518785

Comment

Working...
                                                    X