No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday, the USA recorded 192,186 new cases, its highest daily tally so far, and 2,065 new deaths, the first time it's recorded more than 2,000 deaths in one day since early May.

Comment

Europe is the second continent, after Asia, to exceed 15 million cases.

Comment

How soon before the NHS is being overwhelmed but the Tories still refuse to restrict Xmas shopping in the three weeks before Dec 25th?

In that scenario, Jan-Feb 2021 are going to be far worse than March-May 2020.
        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 20-11-2020, 10:38.

Comment

The Irish Govt will almost certainly allow full on shopping in December, even though cases and the r rate is rising in level 5 half enforced lockdown. This prioritisation of retail/fear of being the govt that Cancels Christmas isn't unique to teh Brits.

Comment

Mexico is the 4th country to exceed 100,000 deaths.

Comment

I have taken the following from the Office for National Statistics website for overall deaths in October 2020:

2.Death registrations and the overall mortality rate for October 2020
              In October 2020, there were 43,265 deaths registered in England. This was similar to the number in October 2019 (eight more deaths), but it was 2,713 more than the five-year average (2015 to 2019) for October. Of the deaths registered in October 2020, 21,966 were males and 21,299 were females.
              https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/monthlymortalityanalysisenglandandwales/october2020

Yes, just 8 deaths between October 2019 and 2020 !!!!!

Comment

California yesterday had the highest daily number of new cases (per worldometer) yet, just shy of 13,000, and the seven day average is also at its highest level (at 26/100k/day). The graph of new cases is rising very steeply still, so things are not looking good here.

Comment

Azerbaijan now has more cases than China, and 1,000+ deaths.

Comment

I'm reasonably sure that I already mentioned this, but my school district has recently sent out another questionnaire about what we parents want for our kids when they start re-opening the schools for on-site classes.
                    Thinking about things last night, I think that my school district is actually handling the pandemic better than any other agency around here that I'm aware of, having shut on-site classes down in March and never re-opening them, plus supplying free children's lunches for pick up the whole time. They also have supplied computers for all the kids that needed them (probably pretty much every student), though I'm not sure what they have done about internet connections. They plan a staggered re-opening starting with the youngest kids, then gradually moving up through the ages in primary school (up to 5th grade), with no plans at all for middle schoolers to return yet, which also seems sensible to me.

Comment

Current global death toll of 1.37 million is now on a par with deaths worldwide from diabetes in 2017.

Comment

Another 511 deaths in the UK today, means 2,982 deaths in the last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                          Sweden has exceeded 200,000 cases and recorded 6,340 deaths.

Compare with Finland which has reported just over 20,000 cases and 374 deaths.
                          Even allowing for the Swedish population being nearly double that of ours, the Swedes' handling of the pandemic has been disproportionately bad.

More worrying are our recent daily infection figures, reaching an all time high today of 461 new cases. More than half of these are in Uusimaa (Helsinki area) though apparently the figure is inflated by some previously recorded but not reported figures from both Pirkanmaa (Tampere area) and central Finland (Jyv?skyl? area). Nevertheless, restrictions in Uusimaa are being extended in an attempt to get matters under control.

Comment

Seeing reports of the UK death toll being 70,000 now (from the tabloid sites, Mirror/Sun/Heil), while the official figure is still 54,286? Going to have to go with the latter for a report I'm writing, but that's a hell of a gap.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                              Seeing reports of the UK death toll being 70,000 now (from the tabloid sites, Mirror/Sun/Heil), while the official figure is still 54,286? Going to have to go with the latter for a report I'm writing, but that's a hell of a gap.
                              The 70,000 is the latest ONS excess deaths figure. The 54,286 is those who officially died with Covid-19.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

As the great Phil Hammond keeps pointing out in Private Eye, many people are getting iller and dying because of fear of hospitals and not seeking timely medical help.
                                  Last edited by Gangster Octopus; 21-11-2020, 00:27. Reason: Why can't I spell dying?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                                    I have taken the following from the Office for National Statistics website for overall deaths in October 2020:

2.Death registrations and the overall mortality rate for October 2020
                                    In October 2020, there were 43,265 deaths registered in England. This was similar to the number in October 2019 (eight more deaths), but it was 2,713 more than the five-year average (2015 to 2019) for October. Of the deaths registered in October 2020, 21,966 were males and 21,299 were females.
                                    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/monthlymortalityanalysisenglandandwales/october2020

Yes, just 8 deaths between October 2019 and 2020 !!!!!

So what's your point here, Paul? That people aren't dying of Covid? That's good news to my colleagues working shifts in the ICUs. I'll tell them to turn off the ventilators.

Comment

Greece now has more cases than China, and 1,400+ deaths.

Comment

201,083 new cases in the USA yesterday, the first time any country has had more than 200k cases reported in a day.

Comment

California and Texas each have more than one million confirmed cases. If they were countries, they'd rank 11th and 12th in the world in terms of total cases.

Comment

Brazil has exceeded 6 million cases and reported 168,000+ deaths.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                              As the great Phil Hammond keeps pointing out in Private Eye...
                                              His columns on the subject have been consistently good.

We're heading in the wrong direction, unfortunately, today bringing another record of new infections at 469, this time with no mention of any back-counting. Nearly 10% of the total infectivity in the country has come in the last 7 days. The situation is especially bad in Uusimaa, more than 1000 new cases having been recorded there in the past week, and the border area with Sweden, though almost the entire country is affected.
                                              Last edited by Muukalainen; 21-11-2020, 16:22. Reason: 1000/week in HUS area, not 2000/week.

Comment

California exceeded 13,000 new cases in a day for the first time, and the current levels of new infections are higher than they were in the previous peaks based on 7-day averages, which were in July and August so likely not as heavily under-counted as places which peaked earlier in the year. Daily cases are also still rapidly increasing.

Comment

https://twitter.com/bazzinyu/status/1330293276608499713

Comment

The BBC:

A tougher three-tiered system of local restrictions will come into force in England when the lockdown ends on 2 December, Downing Street has said.

It is not yet clear exactly how restrictions could change - but it is understood the 10pm curfew on pubs and restaurants will be altered.

Mr Johnson is expected to say that, while last orders must be called at 10pm, people will get an extra hour to finish their food and drinks.

As they say on the twitters - "whut?"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X