Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    I agree with your point there, HP, about people reaching their limits. That's why 50,000 people have signed a petition demanding to buy all the shit they want to in supermarkets.
    That's understandable, really.

Initially, we had that issue too. Stores that sold groceries were open, including the parts that didn't sell groceries, as were any stores that sold anything remotely essential, including the big hardware/home stores, Best Buy, Staples, etc, but they weren't stopping people from buying whatever they wanted. Of course, a lot of stuff wasn't in stock and fewer people went to the stores to buy things they didn't really need.

Closing off certain aisles wouldn't really reduce the risk of the staff to close off those parts of the store. It was just making life a little more difficult for everyone.

But what that meant was that independent small shops were closed while the big box chains like Wal Mart were open. That seemed very unfair because this whole fucking situation is unfair, but in the early days we were dumb enough to think this could be handled in a few weeks so it didn't seem like such a travesty. Besides, for a lot of items, the big box chains have already put all the little stores out of business anyway.

And when they did eventually reopen just about everything, it didn't seem so bad. It was done on a county by county basis, which isn't ideal, but the only other way would be to do it by municipality and that wouldn't work because we have way too many of those.

But now cases in Pennsylvania are officially "uncontained" once again. But I don't think the governor is going to go back to where things were in April. It's just politically untenable.

It's frustrating because if everyone would just wear a mask and stand apart, this would be less of an issue, and if we had proper track and trace, it wouldn't be much of a problem. The evidence is pretty clear that most cases are spread by less than 10% of carriers. We need to use that fact to our advantage. But we won't.

Bars, restaurants, theaters, and sports will probably still be unsafe for a long while.

I've thought about going to the cinema. I'm told the social distancing is pretty good and not many people come anyway, but I'd have to wear a mask the whole time. No thanks. I don't want to see Tenet that badly.

A friend of mine who owns what was a successful restaurant is now selling his house. I don't know the whole story, but it's upsetting.
    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 26-10-2020, 19:51.

Comment

Mask burning at Delray Beach, FL

https://www.wptv.com/news/region-s-p...d-mask-mandate

Comment

#floridaman

Comment

I went to Sainsbury's in Rhyl today to pick up a printer from the in-store Argos (I need to print off a form for our supporters' trust and the library is shut). The only areas closed off to the public were the ones that contained clothes, stationary homewear, EVDs, CDs and Books and the Argos (I picked up the printer from a table in the clothes section).

It's an odd sensation that comes from the realisation that you find yourself in what should be the midst of a bete noire and a cause celebre evidence but turns out to be nothing of the sort.

I will say one thing about the Dictatorship of the Proletariat Cymro-style, how come you can't buy books in the supermarket but they'll let you buy magazines? I will write to our street's Commissar when he returns from his night shift in Collective Farm tomorrow morning. Hopefully he can get an answer from the north Walian Soviet without having to contact the Peoples' Presidium or National Politburo for that process can take upwards of 45 working days.
          Last edited by Kowalski; 26-10-2020, 21:50.

Comment

When we become the People's Republic of Cymru there's going to have to be a Soviet Gogledd, isn't there.

Comment

Patrick Thistle

No, I do get it, as I say, I think it's a difficult situation to get right and if schools are on board then fair play for a bit of joined-up thinking. I am a bit disappointed that there isn't a force of covid cops like the Chepstow border force you posted patrolling the checkouts, though.

I'm sure a lot of it is this - It feels like the outrage has been fomented by the press as a means of attacking Welsh Government and some of it is genuine anxiety and confusion and some if it is people being arses, as you say. I saw some Twitter post (I think) featuring underpants boy - is that what it was all about? He looked a prime div but I assumed that was just Newport being Newport.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                When we become the People's Republic of Cymru there's going to have to be a Soviet Gogledd, isn't there.
                There will be a federal structure of soviets and the delegates will be elected for 2 year terms to prevent bureaucratic ossification, It will only rain where it is needed, the correct regional Welsh accents will be used in television programmes and sparkly cowboy hats will be outlawed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
                  There will be a federal structure of soviets and the delegates will be elected for 2 year terms to prevent bureaucratic ossification, It will only rain where it is needed, the correct regional Welsh accents will be used in television programmes and sparkly cowboy hats will be outlawed.
                  Will we finally get a ruling on where the line is for gyda/gan? And more importantly, will it be enforced?

Comment

That line is somewhere in Powys, Chris. That's bandit country up there.

Comment

And you're probably right about Newport being Newport. Tesco in St Mellons (which is on the Newport continuum) was the one that hit the news yonks back for banning people from shopping in pyjamas.

Comment

Some parents in Utah have reportedly created a "mom code," an unwritten agreement to avoid testing their children for COVID-19 in an effort to keep schools open:

https://abc7ny.com/mom-code-utah-cor...covid/7300548/

(apologies for the hideous website).

Comment

also from France

https://twitter.com/phylogeo/status/1320857920376991744?s=20

Comment

The American thing of complying with Covid rules being regarded as Religious Persecution(!) has crossed the Atlantic as South Wales Police ask a church to stop holding services during lockdown
                            https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...ahead-19167381

EDIT: There's also this nice little comment. (Emphasis mine)

"One person, who appears to be the church pastor, addresses the police officers and says: "This is really strange and, I say it respectfully, we love you guys as police officers and we are not law-breaking people.

"But when they say to us that it is illegal to come and worship our God, this is the West, this isn't a nation somewhere far off somewhere else."

Also, below the lines we have complaints that shutting the mosques would be considered racist, that all the mosques are full of covid and muslims delivering takeaways will give you corona.

Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 27-10-2020, 11:42.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              That is an extremely good distillation of really concerning data
                              He's good on bank stuff too. One of my few "follows", not that I have a Twitter account to actually follow him with.

Comment

Imperial College's research published today really does piss all over the already obviously disastrous idea of herd immunity. Now anyone pushing "herd immunity" is really just pushing "apathy to the death of millions because they want people to go into the office and buy sandwiches at Pret"

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                  Imperial College's research published today really does piss all over the already obviously disastrous idea of herd immunity. Now anyone pushing "herd immunity" is really just pushing "apathy to the death of millions because they want people to go into the office and buy sandwiches at Pret"

Yeh, the writing has been on the wall for infective herd immunity for months now given the rate of antibody decay, (though there's also the T-cell thing, that an OTFer with a scientific/medical background might want to comment on). Obviously the hope now is to achieve it via vaccination, but the early indications are that boosters will be required after an initial jab.

I'm wondering how the virus will mutate. If it weakens but develops different strains will we deal with it like we deal with the 'flu now, innoculating as best we can in the autumn but expecting it to take thousands of the vulnerable each year.

Comment

https://twitter.com/AdamJKucharski/status/1321107697647947781

Comment

Latest UK daily death toll is 367.

Comment

Grim. Remember the heady days of 5 weeks ago, when Vallance and Whitty were accused of scaremongering for warning that if the government didn't get the spread under control we could see daily death tolls as high as 200 a day by mid-November? Professor Gloom and Doctor Doom, the Daily Mail called them.

Comment

725 cases in Ireland, 5 more deaths. ICU patients standing steady at 38.

Comment

7 deaths in Wales reported today. Over 1000 cases again.

Comment

Yeah they still don't get it huh.

You lockdown quick and briefly at the start or you lockdown too late for a long time.

It's clearly not a choice between the economy and deaths. Early and hard lockdown is win/win.

The next argument is usually, oh but that only works in Asian cultures. Well, Australia and NZ have a fairly western culture and they seem to be fairly on top of things.

Comment

Am I a bad person for being irritated every time a self-congratulatory article about how "well" San Francisco is doing crosses my path?
                                                Sure, by US standards it's doing decently, but that's basically being king of catshit mountain, and there's no acknowledgement that if you moved it further West it would be viewed as a total clusterfuck.until you got to India. But it's mostly the "we're so special and better than everyone else" tone of them all.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                                  725 cases in Ireland, 5 more deaths. ICU patients standing steady at 38.
                                                  and 722 in northern Ireland. What the fuck is going on up there? The population of the republic is 250% that of the north ( or the north has 40% of the population of the south)

Comment

Canada passed 10,000 deaths today, and 2,675 new cases, a daily high. Fraser Health Region (where we live) has the highest number of new cases in BC. In response the local health authority is asking people not to invite any visitors to private homes over the coming days, covering Halloween and Diwali.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X