Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EIM View Post
    Try explaining why Father Christmas prefers rich children too. "Sorry he only gave you a satsuma, when your classmate got a BMW. That's just how life works..."

Nasty wanker, Father Christmas. I'll be telling my kids not to believe in him.
    Indeed. Horrible idea. Glad I didn't get the FC lies from my parents.

Comment

Now we're getting to the nut of it.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
        And that when he goes down chimneys (do you have one and if not how does the bugger get in?) everyone is in bed so social distancing is easy.
        Bur he creeps into everyone's bedrooms while we are asleep, so, you know.

Comment

There's quite a wide variation in whether Santa leaves presents in the lounge (what he does in our house), or in your bedroom (some other families I know of), or, in the case of two children I know who were adopted and were frankly terrified by the idea of an old man sneaking into the house while they slept, he very kindly leaves the presents inside the porch, without ever entering the house which remains sealed, locked and safe.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
            Glad I didn't get the FC lies from my parents.
            Childhood illusions are okay, surely? Why be so realistic from the beginning? Disillusionment willl soon set in...

(Maybe better for a separate thread?)
            Last edited by Sporting; 18-10-2020, 11:19.

Comment

Anyway, Rissian influencer, workout blogger and COVID denier Dmitry Stuhzuk has - yes - died of COVID. Apparently thought it was a good idea to travel to Turkey for some fitness thing around a bunch of other sweaty, panting people.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Childhood illusions are okay, surely? Why be so realistic from the beginning? Disillusionment willl soon set in...

(Maybe better for a separate thread?9
                I've set up a separate thread for those who wish to get into intense discussion re: the ethics of telling your children about the existence or not of Santa.

Comment

We've had discussions about covid and the tooth fairy at our house, but that's fairly easy as she's a fairy so not susceptible. Doesn't explain why she typically takes almost a week to show up, though.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                    Some epidemiologist from Trinity college Dublin thinks that the Pfizer vaccine will be ready before Christmas. I'll believe it when I see it, considering everyone in Ireland who owns a stethoscope has given us their opinion at this stage.
                    Yeah, Luke O'Neill. Don't know how he gets any work done, with the way he is constantly in the papers talking shite. One moment he's a biochemist, the next moment he's an epidemiologist.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

Yeah, Luke O'Neill. Don't know how he gets any work done, with the way he is constantly in the papers talking shite. One moment he's a biochemist, the next moment he's an epidemiologist.
                      Renaissance man

Don't diss it

Comment

This has been driven by Trump, who is still talking about November

Pfizer Chairman and CEO Albert Bourla said in a public statement Friday that it is indeed possible the company could have enough data to know this month whether the vaccine it is developing actually protects people from coronavirus infection. But the company won't have data showing the vaccine is safe before the third week of November at the earliest.

The FDA said earlier this month that, before it reviews a coronavirus vaccine application, a company must have safety data that extends for a median of two months. That means Pfizer needs to wait until half of the volunteers in its ongoing trial have been followed for at least two months before the company can submit its material for FDA review.

"We estimate that we will reach this milestone in the third week of November," Bourla wrote.

Comment

India is the second country to exceed 7.5 million cases. And it's up to 114,435 deaths.

Comment

Another nearly 17,000 new cases in the UK today, taking us to 118,693 new cases in the last week.

Comment

Safe to say Ireland will be moving up another level or two this week, judging by today's figures:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1317868073626619904

Comment

Level 4, if the rumours are to be believed.

Comment

The usual 4 1/2 ish, with a mixture of items from 5 bundled into 4, going by the papers.

Comment

Nothing like a clear and easily explained system, is there?

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

The main problem with this is when other parents get annoyed with your little darling telling everyone in their class that Father Christmas isn't real. It's ok for my daughter, who's seven, as there are several other children in her class now who have "seen the truth", but for my son, who's only four, I don't want him to be singled out as the bearer of bad news (he already suspects. His current plan is to write a letter to Father Christmas asking him if he's really mummy and daddy. This plan is slightly hampered by the fact that he can only currently consistently write the letters "o", "c", "i", "l" and "f").
                                      Does he ghostwrite for David Walliams?
                                      Last edited by Eggchaser; 18-10-2020, 17:27. Reason: Autoclave

Comment

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1317849521691402240

Comment

Yes Vermont!

Comment

Another nearly 30,000 new cases in France today, which makes 162,060 new cases in the last week.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                              Yes Vermont!

For the past few months CNN has been showing a similar map (COVID-19 rate increase/stable/decrease) and Vermont is the one state that is invariably but consistently trending in a positive direction.

Comment

Largely because it has one of the most effective public health systems in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                                  Hope you're OK steveeeeeeeee fingers crossed for a negative result tomorrow.
                                                  Negative result returned just after midnight Saturday, as Nocturnal Submission suggested, must have been a cold and cough bug.

Comment

TMI tbh.
                                                    Last edited by EIM; 19-10-2020, 02:02.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X