No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meanwhile, France has reported 85,252 new cases in the last week. Almost exactly as many cases as China has reported during the entire pandemic (85,337).

Comment

Almost 400 new cases in Wales today and 3 more deaths. Vaughan Gething has been on TV saying these figures are like February 2 weeks before NHS services were suspended and 3.5 weeks before total lockdown. (So why are we half arsing this? We know the pattern)

Comment

It concerns me that my small town of about 100,000 people, give or take, has about as many daily cases as Ireland.

Comment

Not too much to argue with in this Observer editorial...

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ve-coronavirus

Comment

btw Is anyone else suffering from severe lack of sleep amidst all this? It's hard to escape the suspicion that the government no longer cares a jot about Covid spread, as Johnson worries more about the libertarian wing of his party than public health. (You'd never guess now that he was seriously affected by this virus himself - he should know it's a serious disease.) I feel pretty much in despair about it all, and it just goes round and round my head...

Comment

NHStracing
              This is a public health message from NHS Test & Trace. Please download the NHS COVID-19 app from the App Store/Google Play. More info at https://covid19.nhs.uk
              I had this sent to my phone yesterday evening, what's the general feeling on here about the app? Should we download it?

My concerns are about data and efficacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
                btw Is anyone else suffering from severe lack of sleep amidst all this? It's hard to escape the suspicion that the government no longer cares a jot about Covid spread, as Johnson worries more about the libertarian wing of his party than public health. (You'd never guess now that he was seriously affected by this virus himself - he should know it's a serious disease.) I feel pretty much in despair about it all, and it just goes round and round my head...
                I wouldn't say severe but in general I'm more anxious, and my wife more so. As a teacher I'm being forced to be in indoor spaces with many people, yet face masks are not compulsory. The number of adults wearing face masks or shields is still low, possibly 10%, and about a similar number of students arrive in school with a face mask on.

The head again says face masks are dangerous for the user of not worn properly, I've said we should train the students. No response.

Face masks will be compulsory in schools soon, that's the rumour going around.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

I had this sent to my phone yesterday evening, what's the general feeling on here about the app? Should we download it?

My concerns are about data and efficacy.
                  From what I've read, it's well worth downloading. Data is not stored centrally, only on your own phone. If you test positive, the phone will then send that info to the phones of anyone it judges to have been contacts (anonymously, I believe).

If they can get testing sorted this could be a great help at tracking and stopping spread. (Although if they can't, then it probably won't.)
                  Last edited by Jimski; 27-09-2020, 07:08.

Comment

From what I've read, it's well worth downloading. Data is not stored centrally, only on your own phone. If you test positive, the phone will then send that info to the phones of anyone it judges to have been contacts (anonymously, I believe).

I'm no expert though, so if anyone knows better...

But definitely worth downloading. If they can get testing sorted this could be a great help at tracking and stopping spread. (Although if they can't, then it probably won't.)
                    Thanks Jimski I'll download it.

The tweets above saying that NHS tests aren't linked to this are worrying. A corrupt government that seems happy to kill off its most vulnerable citizens.

Comment

Yeah, that's ridiculous. They need to get that sorted pronto. This outsourcing to Serco has been a shambles, and by rights should be a much bigger scandal than it is.

Comment

Yeah, download it and use it, it's the right thing to do, and there aren't any great reasons not to.

Comment

We reached 33 million cases last night. The last million took only 3 days.

Comment

Colombia and Peru are the 5th and 6th countries, respectively, to reach more than 800,000 confirmed cases. Colombia has reported 25,000+ deaths. Peru has reported 32,000+ deaths.

Comment

Argentina is the 9th country to report more than 700,000 cases, and has recorded 15,500+ deaths.

Comment

Saudi Arabia has now reported more deaths than China (4,655) and nearly four times as many cases (332,000+).

Comment

France has reported 426 deaths in the last week. South Korea has reported 401 deaths in total since Covid-19 was discovered.

Comment

Africa has reached 35,000+ deaths. More than France but fewer than Italy still.

Comment

Key West (my wife and I have been several times to the Live Aqua drag club shown in the photo but obviously won't be doing so again until there is a reliable vaccine)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ial-distancing

Comment

Everyone's seen the photo of the fuckwits queuing for the top of Snowdon yesterday, yeah? OK, I won't bother to show it again.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                          Yeah, download it and use it, it's the right thing to do, and there aren't any great reasons not to.
                                          Take this as a compliment but this makes me think "Blimey if TonTon is happy with it then it's probably safe."

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                            The tweets above saying that NHS tests aren't linked to this are worrying.
                                            Yeah, that's ridiculous. They need to get that sorted pronto.
                                            This has been fixed, apparently.

The main problem I have with the app is that it eats my battery at a rate of knots. I turned it on when we got to the football yesterday, and when we left a couple of hours later it had gone from 90% to 31%. There's no way I'm going to be able to leave it on constantly if I'm out and about.

Comment

Taken as a positive, PT!

FB - that seems ludicrous. I haven't noticed anything like that. Sounds like something is going wrong.

Comment

The Irish app (Which the Scottish version copies, not sure if the English one is built on the same code) destroys battery life on at least some android phones like my gf's 4 year old Samsung, it's fine on my fairly aged iPhone tho.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                                  Taken as a positive, PT!

FB - that seems ludicrous. I haven't noticed anything like that. Sounds like something is going wrong.
                                                  It's the Bluetooth I guess. I've turned mine off, location is still on.

Comment

Yeah I've got a 5 year old Samsung. The Android version needs both GPS and Bluetooth turned on to work, and I'm guessing the Bluetooth will have been pinging constantly during the game with 200+ other phones nearby.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X