Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimski View Post

Depends on what you mean by the UK. The government changed the rules in that way, but the ONS uses a different measure, which has deaths at over 50 thousand. And the excess deaths are over 60 thousand - that's the usual way of attributing deaths from epidemics, so I don't see why there should be an exception here.
    Johnson et al don't believe in the usual way of doing things, they'll come up with any old number as long as it suits their fucked up agenda. I'll go with the ONS figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
      This is what we get for not linking State funded schools to catchment areas, and having fuck all dedicated school buses as a result. And the overcrowded classes and shit buildings. I really hope secondary teachers strike as threatened, their job must be impossible judging by the wee unmasked obnoxious shites streaming out the Loreto round here at lunch hour.
      Eh? State funded schools are nearly all catchment based. and most do have dedicated school busses. . For example Colaiste Dun Iascaigh (Which my school was amalgamated into) serves Cahir, but also Ballydrehid, clogheen, ballylooby, burncourt Some of New Inn, Most of Ardfinnan, and grange. There's a primary school in all these places. A lot of them have busses. That's a radius of about 5-7 miles. That's surrounded on all sides by similar areas centred around schools in similar larger towns. It's like that in most of the country.

As for parents, they are going to have to suck it up, but it won't matter because by that stage they'll all be at home. The area that they need to sort out is that there are a lot of people who don't work from home, For instance, a lot of people working in the healthcare sector are married to other people that work in the healthcare sector. Those people were pretty screwed the last time out.

Comment

I mean Schools "with a Religous Ethos" that don't officially ask for fees but a donation would be v nice.... the fucking train in the morning to Balbriggan is full of wee rats off to the Loreto each morning from further afield than anything that could be called local. Like beyond Rush or even from as far as bloody Drogheda.

Comment

There really aren't school buses as a matter of course in Dublin. The worst thing about early morning buses when I lived in the city was the high school kids polluting the aisles.

Comment

By early morning, I mean before 9.

Comment

Shit appears to be hitting the fan in the Netherlands again. Infections on the rise in Amsterdam and Rotterdam. The Brabant area, that was hit hard in the spring, appears to be spared. Might be immunity there?

Comment

Maybe, but more likely to either be luck or people scared into actually taking it seriously (see New York).

Comment

7 million+ cases in the USA and 204,000+ deaths. A comfortable lead in both categories.

Comment

Guatemala now has more confirmed cases than China, 85,444, and has recorded 3,119 deaths.

Comment

The UK reported 25,753 new cases in the last week. Or more cases than South Korea has reported in total in the entire year since the start of the pandemic.

Comment

Morocco has over 100,000 cases and 1,830 deaths.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                          Shit appears to be hitting the fan in the Netherlands again. Infections on the rise in Amsterdam and Rotterdam. The Brabant area, that was hit hard in the spring, appears to be spared. Might be immunity there?
                          The last few weeks has seen nice beach weather in this country, and now we see a Covid spike in beach provinces.

Comment

Students who've had Covid-19 symptoms but not been able to get a test are being allowed back in after ten days. I thought it was 14 days in quarantine.

Comment

The daughter of someone I know from the village where I grew up got sick (seemingly a cold, but they wanted to be sure). They called into the (primary) school and were told that she;d have to stay home from school until she'd had a negative test. After literally hours of trying, they found that the closest place they could get a test was Leicester (this from south Cambridgeshire, approx 2 hours drive away, and many more by public transport). Anyway, they booked the test and drove up to Leicester (not exactly a quarantine friendly proposition, but they apparently made it without stopping). When there her father was told that he;d have to administer the test as they didn't have enough staff (they could process the test but not actually take it). Those of you who have had a test will know that it's a fairly invasive test (and also not without discomfort). Anyway, they did the test submitted it and drove home, only to get a message a day later to say that the test was inconclusive (presumably because her dad, mindful of hurting his daughter, didn't really get the swabs far enough in). Both parents work in non-WFH possible jobs and now they all have to quarantine for 2 weeks, and they both don't get paid during that period (There is some kind of 90 quid a week payment they can access - not sure I know out of what fund).

Worldbeating

Comment

The ?90 is Statutory Sick Pay (actually ?95.85 a week).

Comment

Tomorrow's whole school meeting has now been changed to be about online learning and how to use online platforms.

Read into that what you may.

Comment

Bangladesh is the 15th country to exceed 350,000 cases and has reported nearly 5,000 deaths.

Comment

The UAE has now reported more cases than China (85,595) but only 405 deaths (less than 10% of the deaths reported by China). This may partly be explained by the fact that the UAE has carried out a proportionally large number of tests (nearly 891,000 tests per million population).

Comment

I mentioned on Mundane Thread III that I was off for a dental check-up but wary of a COVID-19 PPE surcharge, which are apparently now a thing. There wasn't one, I'm pleased to say, but what did surprise me was that before the examination began I was asked to briefly mouthwash with a solution that apparently kills the virus.

Now, I'm not sure how long it's effective but this seems like another useful tool to prevent the spread of the virus that's flown under the radar, or at least under mine. If it was fairly cheap and lasted for a few hours* say, it would quite handy if people had a quick swoosh-around with it before shopping, eating out, using public transport, going down to the pub etc.

* I presume that it's not more widely known about or used because it's neither cheap nor effective for any great length of time, but I'd like to know if that is actually the case.

Comment

I had a similar thing when I went to the dentist. It was some kind of hydrogen peroxide solution. I have no faith in its efficacy and suspect - like many "precautions" - that it's basically security theater.

Comment

India has reached 5.5million+ cases and 88,000+ deaths. Worth noting that India's death rate per million population is still an order of magnitude lower than the UK and USA (64 deaths per million population for India vs 616 for the USA).

Comment

I'm speculating with no actual knowledge, but I wouldn't be surprised if the mouthwash thing does a reasonable job killing any virus that's lurking in your mouth, and preventing virus aerosolizing from the teeth cleaning, drilling or whatever. Unfortunately if you're infected there'll be a bunch more virus in your lungs that you'd be breathing out.

Comment

My dentist didn't do the powered grinder thingy. They just did the scraper thing. And she was all masked up. They also don't have anyone in the waiting room. They tell you to call from your car when you arrive and they come and get you when they're ready.

I felt pretty good about it.

Comment

More local lockdowns in South Wales. Newport, Merthyr, Bridgend and Blaneau Gwent all affected.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                                    Tomorrow's whole school meeting has now been changed to be about online learning and how to use online platforms.

Read into that what you may.
                                                    Wow. We had that meeting back in March. I've never been so glad to be living abroad as I have in the last year.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X