Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
    Do you mean press or government, Balders?
    Well both really. I don't know if the government hasn't learnt the lesson or doesn't care. And while the press is reporting that "we might be entering a second wave" and new restrictions / some form of lockdown "might be needed", I'm not seeing anywhere really making it clear that, even if we locked down everything immediately (which is clearly not going to happen), deaths will continue to rise for the next three weeks.

Comment

But mostly I just read BBC news and stuff that's discussed or linked to on here, so maybe it's being reported elsewhere and I don't know.

Comment

No, I agree with that. It seems that the rise in cases, and then in hospitalisations and deaths has come as a complete surprise to the government, the media and a large section of the public despite being completely predictable from weeks in advance and once again having the benefit of several European countries being ahead of us on that curve.

The government are clearly ignoring their own experts on this so I'm not sure what their play is, but where the media and public are concerned I get the feeling that there's a huge amount of denial and wishful thinking going on, where people don't want to accept that the situation might get really bad again without intervention, because that would mean drastic action again and everyone is a bit fed up of lockdowns and restrictions by now so hopefully if we ignore it it'll just go away.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
          Turkey is the 19th country to report more than 300,000 cases and has recorded 7,445 deaths.
          Turkey's figures are thought to be a massive underestimate of the reality.

Comment

Monday will see two weeks since schools reopened in full in most of England, there's going to be a spike veggies
            because of that and then the lag from positive tests to deaths.

Perhaps that's why the government things they can get to mid or late October without a new lockdown.

Comment

Current global death toll of 959,425 now exceeds the population of Naples, Italy (population within city limits).

Comment

Brazil has reported more than 4.5 million cases and 136,000+ deaths.

Comment

Dublin cases range from 189.6 per 100,000 in Blanchardstown/ Mulhuddard, the highest in the country to 35.4 per 100,000 in Blackrock, the lowest. It will come as no surprise that the former is one of the poorest areas of the city and the latter is one of the richest.

Comment

Re Turkey, I think I mentioned up thread - a friend with contacts in the Turkish hospital sector reported that hospitals were basically told to report all deaths beyond a small quota as having non-COVID causes even where the deaths were clearly from COVID. So yes, I assume the Turkish figures are hugely understated.

Comment

Considering the data suppression in Turkey, Iran (by tens of thousands of deaths), Turkmenistan and god knows where else, it seems that the true global death toll from COVID is almost certainly already well over a million.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                        where the media and public are concerned I get the feeling that there's a huge amount of denial and wishful thinking going on, where people don't want to accept that the situation might get really bad again without intervention, because that would mean drastic action again and everyone is a bit fed up of lockdowns and restrictions by now so hopefully if we ignore it it'll just go away.
                        I had my brother telling me today that "they can't close the schools again! They just can't!" in a desperate tone. He's smart enough to know Covid is real and deadly but lockdown almost did for him first time round.

Comment

I really don't understand why the Irish govt has decided to stake its dwindling credibility on keeping schools open no matter what.

Comment

I reckon if you had school age children you probably wouldn't ask that question. My neighbours have filled me in on how delighted they were that the schools reopened. The schools are eventually going to have to close though. If only because you can't have a lock down, and a school run.

Comment

Yeah in the same way that the folk who refused/hated to work from home tended to be folk with kids. But fuck that shit. Public health needs parents to suck it up.

This is what we get for not linking State funded schools to catchment areas, and having fuck all dedicated school buses as a result. And the overcrowded classes and shit buildings. I really hope secondary teachers strike as threatened, their job must be impossible judging by the wee unmasked obnoxious shites streaming out the Loreto round here at lunch hour.

Comment

A parent of three school-age children here. I am 100% behind any measures needed to control the virus, including closing schools again. Put bluntly, they will close by default if the virus continues to spread. I think we do need another proper lockdown, though hopefully this time the government won't waste it as they did the last one.

Comment

As a teacher I've seen that children will wear masks, it's the school that's stopping them in my case. Students are still being told they have to take them off as masks are not allowed in school, let alone in the classroom where social distancing is impossible. We're in a taped off box with a 2m distance.

More in the Guardian today that the message of hands, face and space is backwards. And that surface transmission is low, the issue is aerosol transmission. Packed corridors with people talking loudly, and the occassional shouter is a recipe for transmission.

Why we didn't go for blended learning with have of the school in and half studying at home I do not know*, this would have reduced the number of people on public transport and in schools making distancing more possible and creating a calmer environment.

*schools=free child care

Comment

Yeah, I agree with that. Blended learning was the obvious answer, and most parents I've discussed this with agree too. Makes a switch to lockdown easier if necessary too. Johnson basically decided that schools were going to fully reopen and persisted with that line for no reason other than stubbornness, as far as I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
                                      Yeah, I agree with that. Blended learning was the obvious answer, and most parents I've discussed this with agree too. Makes a switch to lockdown easier if necessary too. Johnson basically decided that schools were going to fully reopen and persisted with that line for no reason other than stubbornness, as far as I can see.
                                      I think it was for the economy as well.

You're right that blended learning would have made any switch to and from lockdown easier.

Sadly this government isn't going to listen.

Comment

"Thirty-three people I know personally have died of Covid-19 – and 32 of them were Black."

Comment

Blended learning was how the Scottish Govt as going to reopen schools, until media commentators, SLab and the Tories, self appointed parents groups all collectively howled their Outrage.

here in Ireland the decision to fully reopen schools was taken in April, it was also decided they would reopen in September no matter what level Covid was at, I can't fathom that kind of thinking, except it was that smug Thatcherite bastard Varadkar pushing for it back then.
                                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 20-09-2020, 08:55.

Comment

Blended schools, half at home half at the school, always seems like the obvious idea to me. You can keep schooling at about 80% effectiveness while only having about 50% of the chance of infection. I'd have gone for this like a shot.

To me, the idea that 'kids won't wear masks' sounds like pure speculation. If there's one good thing about school uniforms (and there's probably only one) it's that you can make compliance a point of principle.

Comment

What's being meant by blended learning here? Part face to face, part online? Or something else? My daughter is at school every other week and doing homework (effectively) during the off weeks. That's not my understanding of blended learning but I am wondering if that's what is being implied here

Comment

Of course this way the Government with the dutiful support of compliant journalists can blame the people for their own incompetence

https://twitter.com/andrewbartletta/status/1307602306553217025?s=21

https://twitter.com/bbcdaniels/status/1306920481002598404?s=21

Comment

I take it to mean part face to face part online, but am probably using entirely the wrong term.

Comment

30 million cases worldwide. The last million took just under 4 days again.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X