Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
    And 75 miles is a tidy step even for someone with a car, especially if they're sick.
    Exactly. If I had flu-like symptoms I can't imagine being able to travel that distance.

Even if f I didn't feel ill. but was isolating, depending on the route that could be a round-trip of 4 hours plus the time at the centre. What if you need the toilet? (I would in a 4-5 hour period.) Food? Petrol? We're not all fucking Cummings and magically able to float around the country without apparently coming into contact with others.

A colleague had a 4 ? hour round trip at the weekend for a negative test. Just imagine the media assault if anyone else had been in charge of this shitshow.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

Hope you're all OK.

Thanks AE. Much appreciated.

Comment

Lockdown 2.0 looks like this. You can't go to your mam's house for a cup of tea but you could both go and get pissed in a pub.

Comment

Yes fingers crossed for NS.

Meanwhile, local lockdown to be announced for the North East minus Teesside and Darlo tomorrow, apparently including a 10pm curfew on pubs and restaurants (I would have linked to the Chronicle article rather then the Guardian's paraphrasing, but the comments over there are the predictable bin fire.)

Amazingly less than 2 weeks ago Boro had one of the highest infection rates in the country and was on the verge of a lockdown, but the situation has become such a complete shitshow all over the country that we're now out of the top 60 areas despite our infection rate having continued to increase. Though I'm still not sure why we've been left out of this one while Northumberland (lower infection rate and Tory central) is in.

Comment

My daughter's been invited to birthday parties both the next two weekends. Both outside, and I'm sure with pretty much the same group of girls. I'm definitely nervous about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
              Yes fingers crossed for NS.
              Thanks, Fussy. Frankly, if my lad has a bad time with it, given the state of his health, I dread to think what it will do to me!

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                Do you have any explanation for why your Head/School is so idiotic, AE? Is he a political animal adhering to Tory party lines? Is he trying to follow guidelines that are themselves completely incoherent?
                We're part of an academy trust so he's following the line given by the CEO of the trust. He's not a Tory, probably a Blairite if I had to guess. He's also using the government guidelines to his advantage to push through things that he wouldn't get away with otherwise.

His team will not speak up and raise their concerns, that's always a worry in any organisation. Blame is always placed on the person who just left.

The biggest worry is the way the trust handled a confirmed Covid-19 case in the other school, only a class and not a year group were sent home.

We've started year group assemblies again, so that's 150+ students in a hall. It makes no logical sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                  Lockdown 2.0 looks like this. You can't go to your mam's house for a cup of tea but you could both go and get pissed in a pub.

Doncaster races have said they've no record of a group traveling from Wales and have had no contact from NHS Wales.

The coach allegedly went on a pub crawl so that's OK as they didn't break any rules.

Comment

We reached 30 million cases globally last night. The last million took 4 days again.

Comment

India hit a new high of 97,859 new cases yesterday.

Comment

Doncaster races have said they've no record of a group traveling from Wales and have had no contact from NHS Wales.

The coach allegedly went on a pub crawl so that's OK as they didn't break any rules.
                        Yeah, mixed messages in the reports. It's odd seeing the Health Minister and Public Health Wales diverge in their briefings. The RCT outbreak is now being linked to (local) pubs, and yet they remain open.

Comment

Peru has overtaken France in terms of total deaths, with 31,051 deaths officially recorded (though the true figure is believed to be at least twice as high).

Comment

Chatting to a local friend last night who needed a test a few days ago for one of his kids who had a fever. Tested negative. But the only way he was able to gain access to the local drive in test centre, after initially being refused (despite there being almost nobody at the centre, certainly plenty of spare testing capacity at the time) was by booking a test at Edinburgh Airport (on 10 minutes notice, so he thought it unlikely he was taking a slot that anyone could use up in Scotland) and then attending the "wrong" location. Absolute farce.

Comment

So, the North-East lockdown then, any villages / estates on the Stockton or Hartlepool / County Durham border bisected by the line?

AFAIR northern Darlo and County Durham are separated by at least one field at the closest.

Comment

Asia has reached 9 million+ cases and 170,000+ deaths.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                  So, the North-East lockdown then, any villages / estates on the Stockton or Hartlepool / County Durham border bisected by the line?

AFAIR northern Darlo and County Durham are separated by at least one field at the closest.
                                  School Aycliffe is bisected by the line, apparently.

Didn't know there was "new build" on the Darlo side

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/ne...county-durham/

Comment

The border is all farm yakker land (though some of it around Wynyard is quite posh) but there will definitely be a bunch of people who commute across it. The bulk of South Durham people work in Hartlepool, Darlo or Teesside.

Comment

France reached over 400,000 cases yesterday, the 13th country to do so, and has reported over 31,000 deaths.

Comment

Should have mentioned that I've taken the COVID-19 antibody test that is part of the research study that I've agreed to take part in.

It was a fairly basic piece of kit (so hopefully quite cheap to manufacture and distribute if the need arises) and easy to use, (drop of blood in one space, drop of blocking solution in another - wait 10-15 minutes for easy-to-interpret result).

Comment

Does prolonged mask wearing cause a sore throat?

I'm still circulating around the school and in my mask, a few teachers have stopped me and asked if I was getting in trouble for wearing one. They were under the impression they were banned for all.

We were told not to teach in them and to use a visor if we must use something. I am wearing a mask to teach in. Fuck that nonsense.

Comment

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...avel-corridors

An updated list, Sweden is now safe apparently.

Comment

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...avel-corridors

An updated list, Sweden is now safe apparently.
                                              Sweden was put on the "good" list last week. This week's changes are:

Guadeloupe and Slovenia = bad
                                              Singapore and Thailand = good

I didn't realise that there is still a cut off time for newly good countries e.g. if you arrive from Singapore before 4am Saturday you still have to self isolate.

Comment

Meanwhile closer to home, Barrow-in-Furness (thought to be relatively badly hit in the initial surge) has flared up again (43 per 100,000) after posting a nil return only a few weeks ago, and is now bringing in local guidelines to avoid the full local lockdown status. Carlisle was rumoured to be on the local lockdown radar a few weeks ago but is now down to 7 per 100,000. Could easily change again next week of course, I'm not trying to establish "bragging rights".

Comment

"But it's not resulting in a rise in hospitalisations..."

https://twitter.com/AdamJKucharski/status/1306627041459044353

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
                                                    "But it's not resulting in a rise in hospitalisations..."
                                                    Did anyone seriously say that?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X