No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

48 new positive cases in Scotland, 28 of those were in the NHS Grampian area.
    0 deaths in the last 24 hours.

Comment

The headline on the Mail today was Boris Johnson saying it is our "moral duty" to reopen schools.

I'd trust Boris Johnson's moral compass as much as Harold Shipman's handbook on elderly care or Jimmy Savile's guide to keeping your children safe.

Comment

So, it turns out that sometime during our cross-country drive Massachusetts instituted a 14 day quarantine for anyone arriving from out of state, unless you got a negative covid test in which case you were clear. We were totally unaware of this until Friday morning, but also had no way of stopping the movers delivering everything and spending the day in our house yesterday.

What we could do was find the nearest place that had testing available as soon as possible and got tested over the border in New Hampshire on Friday afternoon. Amazingly, we both got results back already - it appears that at least in this part of America it’s possible to get tested fast and get results fast if you are willing to drive a bit and can work out which buttons to press on the booking site to get them to allow you to get tested. The good news is that as of Friday I was Covid negative. All the cross country driving has left me uninfected. My “personal covid clock”, which is what I think of as the two week wait from slightly risky behaviour to being certain it didn’t get me, reset yesterday of course.

Comment

And it looks like 9 people have tested positive at that Georgia school that suspended a pupil after she tweeted a pic showing crowded hallways. The only thing that shocks me is that they actually let people know. How long before the schools shut again?

Comment

They let people know that they had nine positives, but they (at least originally) only told students that they had been exposed if they happened to have sat next to (not in front of, behind, or one seat away on either side, etc.) one of the students who tested positive.

Comment

And they just announced that this week will be starting on line

Good job, good effort

Comment

Now 20m+ cases worldwide as per Worldometer.

Comment

Last million took 3.5 days.

Comment

We had zero deaths reported in Wales yesterday. First zero for a while. But it was Sunday so usual caveats apply.

Tenby residents are in the news complaining about the volume of people visiting the beach.

Comment

Asia has reached 5 million+ cases and 109,000+ deaths.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                        Tenby residents are in the news complaining about the volume of people visiting the beach.
                        I read a Wales Online story over the weekend and the residents and business owners quoted seemed quite measured in their assessment of the situation. There was much more of a break out the pitchforks vibe earlier in the year when the worry was that second home owners would decamp down there en masse to sit out the lockdown. To a degree, the pandemic is just a prism through which the town's already conflicted feelings about visitors are refracted. At a purely physical level, it must be a nightmare for distancing because the streets in the old centre are mostly very narrow. (I've got family down there, hence the attention paid.)

Comment

There are different headlines. I saw a quote of someone saying the town had been "abandoned" to the hordes. The media are always going to make a story out of it. Like a lot of seaside towns there's always a tension between the people who live there and the tourists.

Comment

29 new positive cases in Scotland, 18 of those are in NHS Grampian.
                            Overall in Scotland there are 267 patients are in hospital with a confirmed case (+6), with 3 in intensive care (=).
                            0 deaths in the last 24 hours.

In the 15 days since 26th July a total of 231 cases of Coronavirus in Grampian have been identified, 157 of those are linked to the Aberdeen cluster and 852 contacts have been identified.
                            Local lockdown measures are due to be reviewed on Thursday, but I don't foresee any change for at least another 2 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

Could you share some of these please.
                              Only just spotted this - days later. It was just a couple of links I'd read about schools reopening in Georgia, so not necessarily representing anything quantitative. But they made me scared all the same. One was this:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...aulding-county

Interesting the discussion about masks in high schools. It seems they are being encouraged in the US. It worries me that the same is not true here in the UK.

Comment

Zero deaths reported in Wales. 12 new cases.

Usual caveats on Monday reporting apply.

Comment

Antonio Banderas tests positive:

https://twitter.com/antoniobanderas/status/1292797071909691393

Comment

An example, there, of the rarely remarked upon de-ageing effect of the virus.

Comment

Argentina has now reported the same number of Covid-19 deaths as China, 4,634.

Comment

All four meat processing plants, that have been the main drivers of the recent spike in cases in Kildare, Offaly and Laois have closed for the foreseeable future. Varadkar waffling when questioned why they have been treated differently to everyone else for so long.

0 deaths 59 new cases.

Comment

https://amp.theguardian.com/environm...lants-covid-19

this article is from May but it seems like neither Govt or the fuckin Larry Goodman types did anything to address the issues.

Comment

Exactly, they've been a problem since the start, but pubs and shops are an easier target.

Comment

Israel has now reported more cases than China,. But only 619 deaths so far.

Comment

2 deaths / 13 cases in Wales reported today

Comment

This journal article appears to show that Type 2 diabetes isn't necessarily an indicator for increased risk of succumbing to covid, without the added factors of age, high BMI and if the Type 2 diabetes has progressed to the point where the person is having to inject or infuse insulin. Also worth noting the average age of the cohort was pushing 70 but I couldn't find whether the average age of covid survivors was lower. However, the graphs that are there show hugely increased risk of dying for people who were older and had a high BMI.

Comment

Auckland closes its schools because of four known cases in a single household. Now that's taking this shit seriously!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X