Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/gem_ste/status/1290263637114802178?s=20

Comment

Asia has just exceeded 100,000 deaths from Covid-19.

Comment

Romania 2nd worse in Europe too, which is news to me (depressingly). More than Belgium, Spain, Italy, Sweden, all the other disaster zones of the continent

Comment

(Update on our status: No obvious symptoms yet, but a lot of anxiety. I've reached the point where I am not sure of the various physical issues I'm feeling are signs of the virus or simply physical manifestations of stress about it)

Comment

I don't normally wish bad things to happen to people but would the world be a worse place without this oblivious entitled woman?

https://twitter.com/WestminsterWAG/status/1289895372676947968?s=19

Comment

I'd certainly pick the economy over her and her husband

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                I don't normally wish bad things to happen to people but would the world be a worse place without this oblivious entitled woman?

https://twitter.com/WestminsterWAG/status/1289895372676947968?s=19
                It's like she's got a deathwish. Surely there's someone who can help her?

A very Katie Hopkins style post.

Comment

It's probably representative of a large proportion of the population who honestly can't believe it could happen to them.

Comment

I think it (and other comments like it) is more an attempt to portray an inherently selfish position — I want my life to go back to normal, no matter the risk to others — as something selfless.

Comment

A worrying development at my wife's nursing home today. One of the elderly residents who had and recovered from the virus back in April has tested positive again today.

Comment

Originally posted by gjw100 View Post
                        A worrying development at my wife's nursing home today. One of the elderly residents who had and recovered from the virus back in April has tested positive again today.

Hmmmmm, that is rather ominous, isn't it, though not exactly a surprise given some of the studies which have shown that post-infection immunity isn't particularly long-lasting.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                          South Africa is the fifth country to reach 500,000 cases and has reported over 8,000 deaths.

I'd be interested to get the local angle from G-Man

Comment

Sobering piece

https://twitter.com/edyong209/status/1290249724440633345

Since the pandemic began, I have spoken with more than 100 experts in a variety of fields. I’ve learned that almost everything that went wrong with America’s response to the pandemic was predictable and preventable. A sluggish response by a government denuded of expertise allowed the coronavirus to gain a foothold. Chronic underfunding of public health neutered the nation’s ability to prevent the pathogen’s spread. A bloated, inefficient health-care system left hospitals ill-prepared for the ensuing wave of sickness. Racist policies that have endured since the days of colonization and slavery left Indigenous and Black Americans especially vulnerable to COVID‑19. The decades-long process of shredding the nation’s social safety net forced millions of essential workers in low-paying jobs to risk their life for their livelihood. The same social-media platforms that sowed partisanship and misinformation during the 2014 Ebola outbreak in Africa and the 2016 U.S. election became vectors for conspiracy theories during the 2020 pandemic.
                            Last edited by ursus arctos; 03-08-2020, 15:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Hmmmmm, that is rather ominous, isn't it, though not exactly a surprise given some of the studies which have shown that post-infection immunity isn't particularly long-lasting.
                              I'm not sure studies have shown that, have they? They've only shown that antibodies tend to reduce in number - unless there's been something I've missed, which is entirely posisble.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post

I'm not sure studies have shown that, have they? They've only shown that antibodies tend to reduce in number - unless there's been something I've missed, which is entirely posisble.

Well, most of the science is well above my pay grade, Jimski, but I thought there was evidence to suggest that in some former sufferers there was no sign of any antibodies in their blood a matter of months after their infection, but you might well be right. Either way, it doesn't look as though recovering from the virus gives you long-lasting antibody immunity.

But then there are K cells, about which I know very little, but which seem to be another important factor in post-infection protection.

We probably need some informed input from Janik or one of OTF's other scientists.

Comment

Yeah, I'm definitely not one of OTF's scientists, but I did read this article, written by professors of immunobiology, that convinced me that disappearing antibodies aren't necessarily the problem one might think they'd be:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/31/o...nion&smtyp=cur

Comment

Cool. I'll take a look at that.

Comment

0 new deaths and 46 new cases in Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                        (Update on our status: No obvious symptoms yet, but a lot of anxiety. I've reached the point where I am not sure of the various physical issues I'm feeling are signs of the virus or simply physical manifestations of stress about it)
                                        I normally get allergies in spring that involve itchy eyes and runny nose. This year, for some reason, the allergies decided to manifest themselves in the lungs. I was convinced I had corona for about a week.

I found what helped was to do some physical activity (cycling fast, in my case), to prove to myself that my lungs were still fully functioning.

Comment

Irish cases have turned around. Previously the cases were over 80 year olds and mainly in Dublin, now they're mainly under 40 and in the country.

Comment

Well, Dublin, Kildare and Laois in this wave, anyway.

Comment

this thread is good

https://twitter.com/garius/status/1289127361884168192?s=20

Comment

According to RTE, today's cases were 15 in Kildare, 8 in Laois, 7 in Clare and 5 in Offaly, with 11 other counties having one case each.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Well, most of the science is well above my pay grade, Jimski, but I thought there was evidence to suggest that in some former sufferers there was no sign of any antibodies in their blood a matter of months after their infection, but you might well be right. Either way, it doesn't look as though recovering from the virus gives you long-lasting antibody immunity.

But then there are K cells, about which I know very little, but which seem to be another important factor in post-infection protection.

We probably need some informed input from Janik or one of OTF's other scientists.
                                                  Not my field. It is my cousin's though (she's a biochemist), and I've spent the last few days meeting up with her and her family (outside, socially distanced, blah di blah). She is quite optimistic, and specifically mentioned that the lack of antibodies in a system doesn't necessarily mean a lack of immunity. But I can't remember the exact details now, sorry (wine with BBQ for dinner!).

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                                    I think it (and other comments like it) is more an attempt to portray an inherently selfish position — I want my life to go back to normal, no matter the risk to others — as something selfless.
                                                    Yes. Totally.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X