No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah. Hope that this wait is the worst you have to deal with ad hoc.

Masks are now more the rule than the exception locally, which wasn't the case a few weeks ago. This is largely from an increase in cases following the Canada Day weekend last month. These are centred around the Kelowna/Shuswap Lake area but contact tracing has them spread around the province and beyond. New cases are coming in at the rate of 30-50 a day and, as this is another holiday weekend, we could be in for a further jump in a couple of weeks.

Comment

The global death toll of 687,000+ now exceeds the population of the Solomon Islands.

Comment

It is also higher than the populations of Nashville, Tennessee and El Paso, Texas.

Comment

6 months ago Forbes had this article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc.../#3c0c13c35799

It has not aged well, which is as much an indictment of the leadership in 2 countries in particular as the article, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
            Are the authorities carrying out spot checks on where people are walking?
            There are no restrictions on where we're allowed to walk. Only on when.

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
            Sounds like heaven.
            Erm ... yeah, it's brilliant being constantly fucking freezing and thinking that, while my cardio fitness is probably the best it's been since I stopped going dancing every weekend (due to the fact we're doing YouTube workouts almost every day just so we can both get a proper night's sleep), I might be developing rickets.

Comment

And good luck, ad hoc.

Comment

Fingers crossed for you and your other half ad hoc.

Comment

We reached 18 million cases globally late last night, which means the last million took 3 days, so it's still accelerating globally, but possibly the rate of acceleration has slowed a little.

Comment

South Africa is the fifth country to reach 500,000 cases and has reported over 8,000 deaths.

Comment

Colombia has now reported more cases than the UK, over 306,000, and has recorded over 10,000 deaths.

Comment

https://twitter.com/devisridhar/status/1289812619335880704

Comment

A cluster of 13 cases of Covid-19 linked to The Hawthorn Bar in Aberdeen is being investigated by NHS Grampian.
                          The outbreak was linked to customers who visited on 26 July. I suspect that this will be the first of many.

The Hawthorn was an old drinking haunt of mine 'back in the day', and we wet the head of my first born in there while watching a couple of games during USA94 World Cup.
                          God knows who was playing, or what the score was, because (as Rowley Birkin QC would say) I was very, very, drunk.

Comment

Residents in the Australian city of Melbourne will be subject to an overnight curfew for the next six weeks, and be banned from travelling more than 5km to go shopping or to exercise, as Victoria attempts to get the number of new coronavirus cases under control. The premier, Daniel Andrews, announced that from 6pm on Sunday, residents in the Melbourne metropolitan area would be under curfew for six weeks until 13 September.

Comment

https://twitter.com/_BenFinnegan/status/1289907348991930369

Comment

https://twitter.com/schneiderhome/status/1289847588548571138?s=21

95 million
                                3deaths

Comment

0 deaths in Ireland again today, but 53 cases.

Comment

31 positive cases but no deaths in Scotland in the last 24 hours.

Comment

The USA death toll from Covid-19 is higher than the USA death toll from World War 1. The global Covid-19 death toll is higher than the USA death toll from the American civil war.

Comment

Meanwhile, the UK Covid-19 death toll is higher than UK deaths, both military and civilian, from every single military conflict combined since 1900, excluding deaths from World Wars 1 and 2.

Comment

Something's happened in Manchester.

Comment

Ah, see it now

Comment

Best wishes to you and yours ad hoc. Victoria (Melbourne) is a real concern and so is the slow but steady number of cases in Sydney. Western Australia is facing a high court case against the closing of interstate borders, brought by a mining billionaire. The Morrison government supported his action then withdraw that support (after all the evidence had been heard) in the face of significant political backlash in WA.

The Murdoch right in Australia is getting dizzy having to go from screaming "open everything up" to "why did you open everything up" to "why are you closing things down again".

Comment

The Iranian government has been covering up its true figures according to this. Actual deaths at around 42,000 compared to 14,000 reported.

Comment

Global death toll of 692,973 now exceeds the population of Boston, Massachusetts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                                    The Iranian government has been covering up its true figures according to this. Actual deaths at around 42,000 compared to 14,000 reported.

Can't say that I'm at all surprised. It's mortality rates have always looked very dodgy, rarely exceeding an arbitrary daily number. I think we commented as much upthread.

Russia is another country which has an "unusual" mortality profile.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X