No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers. I had thought that the '50s and '60s were unbroken decades of economic advancement in Western Europe and North America.

Comment

Yeah, the data is rather more complicated than the popular version of the history. The 58 recession was to a certain extent the deflation of a bubble that had built up during the 50s.

Comment

Herman Cain, who likely contracted the coronavirus at Trump's rally in Tulsa, has died.

Comment

The orange one must have some kind of goddamn dragon blood in him. Literally everyone within a ten foot radius of the man gets COVID, yet he keeps puttering along.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
            The orange one must have some kind of goddamn dragon blood in him. Literally everyone within a ten foot radius of the man gets COVID, yet he keeps puttering along.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
              Herman Cain, who likely contracted the coronavirus at Trump's rally in Tulsa, has died.
              Darwin would be proud.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post

No doubt. Watch them discover that syphilis is an effective COVID defense.

Comment

I reckon it's a combination of spray tan and malevolence.

Comment

My trust sent out a blanket email yesterday, as they'd had questions about whether the quarantine that has been applied to holidayers returning from Spain would also apply to NHS staff... the email was fairly restrained in saying that the restrictions apply equally to them.

I think the talk of "NHS Heroes" has obviously gone to some people's heads.

Comment

UK must not be deluded that virus is over, PM warns
                      Gosh, I wonder who might have given them that impression.

Comment

85! new cases in Ireland - linked to construction sites and factories:

https://twitter.com/ShaneBeattyNews/status/1288885269895282688

Comment

As I said previously the construction industry in Ireland has been disgracefully negligent since the start of Covid, the health professionals and the politicians response as usual is to blame the pubs.

Comment

The phrase "in Ireland" is irrelevant in that post.

Comment

Interesting read that debunks the idea of aiming for herd immunity (without a vaccine). Not that it really needed debunking, but still, an interesting read.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...=1596132978739

Comment

Malta has more than 800 cases.

Comment

Ecuador now has more cases than China.

Comment

South America has reached over 4 million cases and over 141,000 deaths.

Comment

Today is Australia's highest ever number of new cases in one day, 721. Up until about six weeks ago Australia really seemed to have it under control and it's all gone a bit tits up since then.

Still fewer daily cases than the UK currently though.

Comment

Iraq has now reported more deaths than China.

Comment

I can confirm that lockdown fatigue can very much set in when it goes on for four and a half months and the authorities still don't show any sign of opening up beyond allowing a few more shops to cater to local neighbourhood customers.

I mean, personally I'm nervous, don't want to catch it and am following the restrictions, but fuck me I wish they'd allow us to go for a walk during the day. We live in a south-facing flat (i.e. away from the sun, down here in the southern hemisphere) and apart from a minute or so here and there if I'm walking to the right supermarket, I haven't felt the sun on my face since mid-March. It's made more frustrating by the fact that in our part of town we really could quite happily take a nice long stroll without distancing being a problem (it's probably one of the least densely populated bits of the city – loads of single-family houses, some of which are massive, once you get a block away from our avenue – and has huge wide pavements in quite a few places).

Pfizer's vaccine trial is happening here, and aside from healthcare workers I've no idea how people are going to be sufficiently exposed to the thing to be able to test it properly, given current regulations. Of course, we're the only dickheads really following current regulations ...

Comment

Are the authorities carrying out spot checks on where people are walking?

Comment

The UK government has tiptoed so hard around what it wanted to say with the "no meeting people from different households from Greater Manchester, East Lancashire or West Yorkshire" they might as well have just put T-shirts on saying "Yes, you lot with your Eid".
                                              Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 31-07-2020, 07:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                                We live in a south-facing flat (i.e. away from the sun, down here in the southern hemisphere) and apart from a minute or so here and there if I'm walking to the right supermarket, I haven't felt the sun on my face since mid-March.
                                                Sounds like heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                                  The UK government has tiptoed so hard around what it wanted to say with the "no meeting people from different households from Greater Manchester, East Lancashire or West Yorkshire" they might as well have just put T-shirts on saying "Yes, you lot with your Eid".
                                                  The only surprise is that they aren't encouraging people to celebrate Eid in the pub.

Meanwhile, the BBC helpfully lead with "Visiting people at home banned in northern England" (albeit they add "parts of" to the headline in the actual piece) cos of course we all live on the same street up here.

Comment

[[URL]https://twitter.com/Scarfolk/status/1289106043017076742[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                                                    X