No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chile has 250,000+ cases and 4,500+ deaths.

Comment

Having had teenagers visit the last couple of weekends, we've done a bunch of stuff that I wouldn't otherwise be doing. It makes me nervous. But it is also nice to feel almost normal for a few hours a week. The good news is that I think that what we know has evolved to the point where you can make fairly sensible choices while not just staying at home.

We know that if you're just passing people the risk is almost nil. You're very unlikely to catch or transmit covid while just walking the aisles in a shop. Waiting at check outs is higher risk, but if you keep spacing and face masks on it's basically fine.

We know that there's almost no transmission from surfaces: you should not be freaking out about door handles or toilet flushes or whatever.

We know that there's very little transmission outdoors. You can do hike or run or walk or swim just like normal. You can probably dine outdoors at restaurants safely in terms of your own health (the risk factors are all for the staff in the kitchen).

It seems fairly clear that other people wearing masks creates a lot of protection for you - so if you see places where people aren't masked up, but are indoors or are where people are stopped in close proximity, give them a wide berth.

I'm probably not going to pubs or gigs any time soon, but going to the beach or buying crisps in the shops or having a meal at an outdoor table and so on are now things that I'm going to be fairly relaxed about doing.

Comment

While the world is re-opening for most, my employer decided today that those colleagues classed as "extremely vulnerable" because of chronic underlying health problems will not return on July 1 as planned (and as planned in some detail by the likes of me for wages, resource, holidays, ffs), but will wait another month, because "the rate of infection isn't low enough". In other words, our lawyers and insurers don't think the virus is under control, whatever the government says.

Still, they can spend the extra month in the pub. Cheers!

Comment

It has been pretty obvious from a distance that the government gave up even pretending to try and control the virus once the Cummings story broke. Every relaxation has smothered the Cummings story. In any case how could the police prosecute people breaching the restrictions if they gave the same excuses he did? They have reverted to herd immunity without saying so. I'd guess the truth is a vaccination is years away and they know it. Publicly declaring they are willing to chuck the vulnerable under a bus is bad politics, so they just do it without saying so.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
            While the world is re-opening for most, my employer decided today that those colleagues classed as "extremely vulnerable" because of chronic underlying health problems will not return on July 1 as planned (and as planned in some detail by the likes of me for wages, resource, holidays, ffs), but will wait another month, because "the rate of infection isn't low enough". In other words, our lawyers and insurers don't think the virus is under control, whatever the government says.

Still, they can spend the extra month in the pub. Cheers!
            More than slightly unfair that. I'm classed as "extremely vulnerable" - should I be sacrificed because you'd already finished your rotas?

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
              California reported over 4,000 new cases yesterday (June 17th) for the first time (per Worldometer).
              It was under 1,000/day back in March when lockdown started and has been rising ever since.
              26 Mar first day over 1,000 cases; 20 Apr first over 2,000; 30 May first over 3,000.
              Mostly driven by LA.

Yesterday morning I posted that California had passed 5,000 in a day (June 22nd), and yesterday (June 23rd) we passed 6,000.

Comment

I'm going to miss Hancock's half hour. Still, it will soon maybe time for questions about his role as British horse racing's leading backer in the house and a recipient of very tidy amounts of racing lobby funding, and what influence his role in Cabinet was when the government took no decision to cancel big gatherings until immediately after the Cheltenham Festival.

Comment

Comment

Uganda has more than 800 cases.

Comment

Not Covid, but related. Ireland to restart Cervical screening next week after a 16 week hiatus. I didn't know that such a vital service had been suspended, they're hopeful of clearing the backlog by October.

Comment

Related to that, I only discovered that the UK stops inviting women above a certain age (either 60 or 65, not 100% sure) to have smear tests / cervical screening because my aunt was diagnosed with late stage cervical cancer in her 70s, having not been tested for over a decade. You can continue to request to have a smear test after this age, but anecdotally it seems to be tricky. Before Covid-19 my mother was attempting to get a test as it is her sister who has been diagnosed with cervical cancer and there is likely to be a genetic component, but she kept being rebuffed with essentially "computer says no". If you or a significant woman in your life is older than the cut-off age, please do push your local GP to still offer this service.

Comment

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/1275815823693754368

Comment

652 new cases in the UK, which is the lowest daily tally since March 17th, when testing capacity was much lower.

This gives me a little bit of hope that maybe things are improving despite, instead of because of, our murderous government.

Whether it can be lower still in the next ten days before pubs and restaurants are reopened and all bets are off, remains to be seen.

Comment

Slight uptick in Irish deaths today, with six, but cases still negligible on five.

Comment

I'm assuming some of those deaths are historical, only 19 people with Covid in intensive care.

Comment

Only 11 in the HSE figures this morning, so lower again.

Comment

Ryanair and IBEC obviously feel it's too few, as they want to open the doors to tourists and do away with quarantine, sure we'll be grand and we have to make money.

Comment

BC moved into "Phase Three" today. Hotels, resorts and all parks are open. The film industry restarts, and most movie theatres are reopening. Free "respectful" movement around the province is encouraged.

Comment

9.5 million cases globally. More than 150,000 new cases today and yesterday.

Comment

Chile has now reported more deaths than China.

Comment

Rwanda has more than 800 cases.

Comment

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1275914261198487552

Comment

Hawaii now has more than 800 cases, leaving only Montana and Alaska with fewer, and they are both close to my "800 cases threshold".

Comment

The USA has reported more than 222,300 new cases in the last week.

Comment

Brazil has reported more than 228,300 new cases in the last week.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X