Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
    In contrast, the entire continent of Africa has only just reported 300,000 cases and still fewer than 8,000 deaths.
    One of those was the president of Burundi. One can assume that the numbers are quite a lot higher.

Comment

A lot of it may be due to lack of testing and reporting, but I have also read articles suggesting that some countries in Africa have been better prepared for a pandemic and have acted more swiftly to contain the virus than more developed nations, partly due to previous experience with other outbreaks, such as Ebola.

Comment

0 new deaths ,6 new cases in Ireland.

Comment

Off on a tangent, but this page https://www.worldometers.info/ on the Worldometer website is quite interesting.

Comment

Germany's R rating has surged over the weekend, from 1.06 on Friday, to 1.79 on Saturday, and 2.88 today. According to Sky News and The Independent.

Comment

That said, their daily new cases and deaths still seem to be declining.

Comment

9 million cases globally. This last million took just 7 days. The one before that took 8 days. The million before that took 9 days.

Comment

Palestine has more than 800 cases.

Comment

Chile now has more cases than Italy, and nearly 4,500 deaths.

Comment

Israel and Armenia each have more than 20,000 cases and more than 300 deaths.

Comment

Nigeria has more than 20,000 cases and 500+ deaths.

Comment

"Student nurses are not deemed to be providing a service" - Health Minister Helen Wately MP

https://twitter.com/stnursemummy/sta...08879716270081

Comment

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...n-b1de3348e88b

I thought this was quite a good article.

Comment

Well, the Swedish authorities keep telling us that herd immunity is not the strategy. They are lying bastards.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                Well, the Swedish authorities keep telling us that herd immunity is not the strategy. They are lying bastards.
                                Not entirely ap, they've gone from a strategy of herd immunity to not having a strategy at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                  https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...n-b1de3348e88b

I thought this was quite a good article.
                                  Thanks for this. I'm still reading through the article and the data - fascinating stuff. This quote made me stop and think in particular:

"In the UK, adding people with pre-existing conditions, old people, and their shielders, we get to 40% of the population that needs to be protected. In the US, it’s even worse. 45% of the population has pre-existing conditions that increase their risk of death. That doesn’t even include old people. More than half the population is at serious risk."

Comment

Sounds like the UK, except they are happy to kill off the vulnerable who are an economic burden on the state.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                      Germany's R rating has surged over the weekend, from 1.06 on Friday, to 1.79 on Saturday, and 2.88 today
                                      Are those point estimates or average? I'm not sure point estimates are much use when case numbers are relatively low.

Comment

It's a four day running average and the spike is almost entirely due to a massive outbreak at a meat packing plant in Gutersloh that accounts for 1,300 new cases

Comment

Just been reading about that Gutersloh plant. My neighbours work at some dog food packing place in Germany somewhere, and I suspect in that region. The description of the plant in the media "the big Corona outbreak at T?nnies had been caused by non-compliance with industrial safety rules, terrible work conditions and “irresponsible living conditions” of the guest workers employed there." sounds very much like the kind of place that i imagine they work. My wife may have a better idea if that's where they are.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            It's a four day running average and the spike is almost entirely due to a massive outbreak at a meat packing plant in Gutersloh that accounts for 1,300 new cases
                                            Ah, figured it must be something like that. Assuming they have their track and trace shit together, shouldn't mean the disease is back on the rise again nationwide. Though of course there are more meatpacking plants.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                              Just been reading about that Gutersloh plant. My neighbours work at some dog food packing place in Germany somewhere, and I suspect in that region. The description of the plant in the media "the big Corona outbreak at T?nnies had been caused by non-compliance with industrial safety rules, terrible work conditions and “irresponsible living conditions” of the guest workers employed there." sounds very much like the kind of place that i imagine they work. My wife may have a better idea if that's where they are.
                                              Not them, they;re in Bremen or somewhere nearby anyway. Though apparently it's come out that more than 50% of the people in the affected plant are Romanian

Comment

2 deaths and 4 cases in Ireland today.

Comment

More meat packing Covid news:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-53131765

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                                    2 deaths and 4 cases in Ireland today.
                                                    Interestingly, the county totals today are completely confined to Leinster, specifically Dublin, Wicklow and Laois.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X