Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wales closing in on 200 deaths now

302 new cases have tested positive for Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Wales, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 3,499, although the true number of cases is likely to be higher.
    “27 further deaths have been reported to us of people who had tested positive for Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), taking the number of deaths in Wales to 193

Comment

So Dominic Raab is standing in for the PM in some ways (chaired the daily emergency response team at 9.15 this morning) but hasn't been in touch with the PM since Saturday. Sky News are fairly going after this story at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
        So Dominic Raab is standing in for the PM in some ways (chaired the daily emergency response team at 9.15 this morning) but hasn't been in touch with the PM since Saturday. Sky News are fairly going after this story at the moment.
        Raab, Haig, both have four letters.

Comment

I got furloughed today. I don't think the director was expecting me to yell at her.

Comment

That sucks

Best of luck

Comment

Johnson set for a second night in hospital, but Number 10 seem keen to reassure that he is still running the country from his sickbed, rather than Raab who is visibly actually in charge.
              They seem to be going Presidential on it, i.e. only a general anaesthetic takes his hand off the tiller or whatnot.
              I was born in St Thomas', where Johnson currently rests.

Comment

It's 80% of wages, and not having to buy a London Travelcard goes quite a long way to covering that, plus the lack of things to buy and do. I'll be fine. Hell, I get seven weeks off at a time when the weather is picking up.

But it's just never nice to be told you're surplus to requirements. And the lack of topping up wages, which other charities, businesses and public sector institutions are doing, is kinda bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                  My 82-year-old uncle sure has picked a bad time to fall and break his hip, so he is in A&E (and his wife can't visit him). Tough, tough times.
                  That is terrible. I hope they don't treat that as a "deferrable" surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                    It's 80% of wages, and not having to buy a London Travelcard goes quite a long way to covering that, plus the lack of things to buy and do. I'll be fine. Hell, I get seven weeks off at a time when the weather is picking up.

But it's just never nice to be told you're surplus to requirements. And the lack of topping up wages, which other charities, businesses and public sector institutions are doing, is kinda bullshit.

So sorry.
                    What line of work are you in?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

So sorry.
                      What line of work are you in?
                      Charity sector, so I suspect as a cash-strapped charity, it's looking at that public money as an opportunity...

Comment

Some good news on a personal front... the favourite aunt of the good lady Greenlander was admitted to hospital two weeks ago having suffered a stroke, last week it was found she had Covid-19 and was transferred to a dedicated ward. Today she has gone home. So relieved.

Comment

Great news Greenlander

[URL]https://twitter.com/sunnmcheaux/status/1246343512532099072?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Is there any solid big picture reporting on this idea that's out there that the federal government is seizing/outbidding for shipments of PPE, then rather than distributing them directly is instead doing so through private sector brokers to the highest bidder? It sure seems that way from the individual stories that are coming out, and would fit with the bizarre statement that the federal stockpile isn't for the states to use, but the picture is so clearly chaotic and evolving that it's hard to tell if it's just confirmation bias that makes it seems so.

Comment

Johnson moves into intensive care.

Comment

It's not looking good for him. He's had it for 10 days, he should be improving, not getting worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                  That is terrible. I hope they don't treat that as a "deferrable" surgery.
                                  Not sure if he [edit - my uncle] has had it yet but I understand surgery is planned.
                                  Last edited by Furtho; 06-04-2020, 19:55.

Comment

Not looking good for him but looking good for the country that he's no longer in charge.

Comment

Flynnie really sorry to hear your news but at least your home with family. Look after yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                        Johnson moves into intensive care.
                                        Well, I guess I wondered what reaction I'd have to such a thing... I have to say I feel a bit shocked. I certainly haven't got it in me to wish him bad in this situation, despite my huge dislike for him and his government.

Comment

good for the country that he’s no longer in charge
                                          Except: Dominic Raab is. Out of the frying pan into the utter dickhead.

Comment

5pm press conference. PM is fine. No problem with him running the country from his hospital bed.
                                            8pm PM taken to intensive care

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                              Is there any solid big picture reporting on this idea that's out there that the federal government is seizing/outbidding for shipments of PPE, then rather than distributing them directly is instead doing so through private sector brokers to the highest bidder? It sure seems that way from the individual stories that are coming out, and would fit with the bizarre statement that the federal stockpile isn't for the states to use, but the picture is so clearly chaotic and evolving that it's hard to tell if it's just confirmation bias that makes it seems so.
                                              I haven't seen something comprehensive (though I would bet WaPo and Pro Publica are each working on it), but there is more than enough anecdotal evidence for me

Comment

Considering how critical the situation in ITU is, it's likely he is there because he needs a ventilator.

The mortality rate at that stage is not cause for optimism...

Comment

California and Washington are shipping their reserve ventilators to NY, and Newsom says he's partnering with other states to buy together rather than get involved in competitive bidding for PPE. It feels like the competent states are just completely usurping the federal government here.

Comment

Oregon as well.

It is all very Articles of Confederation, to be honest.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X