No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Los Angeles at 3:15pm today. It's not like that even at 3:15am on a normal Sunday. Absolutely nuts. No slowdowns on the 10, 405 or 5!

Comment

In contrast, the west coast of Florida seems to be still fairly normal regarding traffic levels, according to anecdotal reports.

Comment

First relatively young person with no underlying health conditions has died in Britain. A 47 year-old man, apparently.

I agree with the views expressed a number of pages back that it's going to take the death of a youngish and previously healthy celebrity to really hammer this home to certain sections of the under 30 population. But it is probably only a matter of time before that happens to someone.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
          Los Angeles at 3:15pm today. It's not like that even at 3:15am on a normal Sunday. Absolutely nuts. No slowdowns on the 10, 405 or 5!

It's amazing how traffic on PCH in Rolling Hills/Torrance is usually yellow, though.

California now at 2,535 positive cases, yesterday was 2,102 (the state says that this increase largely comes from increased testing capacity). 13 new deaths since yesterday. Over 50% of cases are people under 50 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
            The Bay Area has extended the school shutdown (or distance learning) through May 1st.
            I'm not expecting this to be the last extension.
            LAUSD did this yesterday as well. Which I assume will mean that Santa Monica schools will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
              First relatively young person with no underlying health conditions has died in Britain. A 47 year-old man, apparently.

I agree with the views expressed a number of pages back that it's going to take the death of a youngish and previously healthy celebrity to really hammer this home to certain sections of the under 30 population. But it is probably only a matter of time before that happens to someone.
              A 21-year-old with no underlying health condition died on Saturday, apparently.

Comment

That story seemed to be being treated very circumspectly by the BBC. Understandable when it's currently based on a Facebook post, I suppose.

I've seen comment elsewhere that there has been no official announcement of the number of deaths and new cases in the UK today. Anyone aware of a reason for this?

Comment

The official figures have only just gone up on the Department of Health's Twitter feed, bizarrely late and "please note these figures do not cover a full 24 hour period", whatever that means (which I guess means they're not directly comparable to the previous days' figures?) As ever, the figures were on Sky long before being announced by any official government comms channel.
                  https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status/1242950122981470208

Comment

Nick Watt on Newsnight gave a sort of explanation, the gist of which seemed to be that the DoH needed to get the family of a COVID-19 victim to agree to allow them to add their relative's death to the announced figures and that this sometimes takes a day or two! Consequently, the "deaths from COVID-19 in the last 24 hours" figures that are released each day are actually "deaths from COVID-19 which we've received authorisation to release in the last 24 hours," or something like that.

Comment

Order for 10,000 ventilators placed by the UK Government with Dyson, who the BBC have heard of, and some mob called The Technology Partnership, who they appear not to know so much about (near Cambridge not in it, work in many fields which includes but is certainly not exclusively medical).

I can't post on the office annoyances thread anymore can I? Too traceable.

Comment

Without going into technical details, that looks broadly similar actually. But then, there are only really two fundamental ways of ventilating people, so it's not surprising to see convergence.
                        Intriguing to see what the other groups going at it have been kicking out (I had heard some limited info, but no details).

And yer Oxford Prof's explanation is why this has been possible inside two weeks. For all concerned. That is what the people who wrote the effort off as impossible were missing. Though I'm sure that pretty well everyone had the same sense of enormity of the task before starting it.

"It has basically repurposed all sorts of different components that are already in the NHS supply chain – bits of tubing for this, breathing valves for that and bags for this and the other. None of them are ordinarily used to make a ventilator. We were mindful of the fact that supply chains would be absolutely at a standstill so we couldn’t say: ​“I want a three-eights, 20cm water pop off valve machined and built with this thread,” because we simply wouldn’t get it."

As I said a number of pages back, Apollo 13.
                        Last edited by Janik; 26-03-2020, 00:31.

Comment

Atlanta's ICU's are full.

Comment

Saw that Nate Silver said that the numbers in Louisiana are are at a rate close to New York, which is just scary considering the vast difference in population and population density. Sounds like the South could be in really bad shape, and that's an area with almost no safety net.

Comment

Forgive me if someone has already posted this. I am unable to keep up with this thread.

https://twitter.com/sebroche/status/1243010258143866880?s=20

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post

Ahh right, I thought the fact that the commander-in-chief has a place just down the road might have been an influencing factor in her reaction.
                                There have always been a lot of
                                people like that in local US politics, especially in Florida. Before they were Trumpists, they were in the Tea Party. Before that, they were part of Gingrich Revolution. Before that they were in the Moral Majority. Before that they were in the Klan. Etc They pick a new cult leader every few years and act like his ideas are their ideas.

It’s bad, but in many ways, it used to be worse.

Comment

Take care everyone

[URL]https://twitter.com/jessicahuseman/status/1243014340158111747?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

Another small rise today. Just 12 new cases in the county bringing us up to 242. But 45 now in hospital with 21 in ICU, and we've had our second death. The consecutive small rises are very surprising. Across California there's been an exponential growth around 1.2x per day in cases for the last 5 days. I don't really understand why we're only at 1.05x unless the sample size is too small and there's a lot of noise. Or there's less testing.
                                    I do this as much for my records rather than because I think others care: big rise today: 55 new cases bringing us to 297. It makes the last couple of days look like outliers. The jump is probably mostly increased testing, but we also see a spike in hospitalization. 59 in hospital and 29 in ICU.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                                      Forgive me if someone has already posted this. I am unable to keep up with this thread.

https://twitter.com/sebroche/status/1243010258143866880?s=20
                                      Good article in what seems to be a class journal. Shame I've only got two free articles left this month.

Comment

The UK now has more total cases and three times more deaths than South Korea. Excellent work everyone.

Comment

Europe as a whole now has more than 250,000 cases (three times the total in China).

Comment

https://twitter.com/KevinPascoe/status/1243084226838376448?s=20

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                                              https://www.facebook.com/589055780/p...631730781/?d=n

An easier way to access the vox pops Fussbudget mentioned.

I spoke with a 49yo in Newcastle last year who had never heard of Chernobyl.
                                              That’s terrible- it was by far the best thing on telly!

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Eh. That shit happens all the time in small towns.

You can search "town council fight" in youtube and get results from lots of places over the last few years..
                                                I did that for a bit of light relief and one of the first options was this town council meeting in Alabama. No fighting but Hitler, Saddam Hussein and the death penalty are all referenced by just 2 resident lunatics.

https://youtu.be/mF5y-KtLZ4w

Comment

I am trying to look at the bigger picture and be pleased that myself, my partner, our family and friends are all in good health, but so many other things are stressing us out.

My partner has been trying to do online shops for her elderly and housebound mum who lives down south. A lot of essentials were not in stock and there a lot of items she simply could not get. She also tried to register her mum onto the Sainsburys vulnerable person list, but was told she was not vulnerable enough to go on the register. It looks (not just with the supermarkets) that if you fall outside the 1.5million who got the letter or text, then you don't count. There are one or two neighbours that might be able to help her, by my partner is considering just upping sticks and going down south, even though she should be keeping a distance (as should the neighbours).

Meanwhile, my bank has fucked up and not cancelled the debit payment for our holiday, so we are several hundred pounds down. The travel company are still not responding in any shape or form. All my time at the moment seems to be spent on phone calls which are generally taking an hour on average.

I am still waiting to see what happens with my workplace. No communication and no clarity and nobody getting back to me,

As I say, it's about the bigger picture, I feel desperately sorry for those vulnerable people who are really in trouble, those who are sick, and my heart goes out to the National Health Service staff. Makes me so fucking angry that people in the election effectively chose Brexit over the NHS and are now either reliant on them or are wondering why they are so short of resources.
                                                  Last edited by Arturo; 26-03-2020, 09:17.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X