No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TG's news is very reassuring. I hope Mum et al continue to do well.

Comment

South and Central America now have a combined total of more than 1,100 cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
        All the best to TG - and indeed others who will face difficult times. It is understandable people are critical of various government responses. The problem is nobody knows the correct answers. You can point to various countries as having done things "right". However there are so many variables involved that such action may not work in the same way in a different nation.

The people engaged in managing this at all levels face extraordinarily tough decisions which will have enormous consequences, whatever they do.

There is also a tremendous sense of responsibility attached to such decisions. I wouldn't be them for quids.
        While this is a reasonable argument I’m much more in PT’s position/camp, and completely lost my temper with our top managers on Monday. We spent all afternoon pressing them to shut down classes and they just kept citing the govt advice (ie last Friday’s version). Then we left the room frustrated, in time to see the Johnson press conference playing on the monitor in the foyer and within an hour they announced everything we’d been asking for...

The bloke in charge of finance, nuts and bolts has a very unfortunate manner when it comes to serious stuff- he has a permanent smirk and I remember him trying to do do laddish banter and talk about ‘red tape’ immediately after Grenfell, when in fact student residences were being found to have similar cladding.

Just as bad this time as he talked about the ‘success’ of an open day held on Friday- ‘numbers were well up’ - we knew of 2 members who came in while sick to cover it, so I asked him how many infections he would classify as ‘success’ after an irresponsible event like that.
        So we are now shut down for teaching and encouraged to ‘work 50% from home’ which is the next front line of battle, along with library staff who ARE still working face-to-face...

Comment

This govt should bring in testing for all essential workers. Not just at hospitals but at power stations, water supply workers. My lot (LUL) is not so essential now the economy is running down now but without testing these workers could end up in permanent isolation. If the water stops running and the lights don't go on that is the end of our civilisation.
          Last edited by tuckwat; 18-03-2020, 08:23.

Comment

Way to go TG's mother! Reminds me of when my gran got tuberculosis aged 85. Many people who she hadn't seen in years showed up at the hospital to say hello. I think she was so offended by their lack of genuineness that she decided to get better and live into her 90s.

Comment

One of my bosses sent out a very positive email about how we were getting laptops so we could work from home. Apparently it was all very new and exciting. She then went on to say that this situation had helped expedite the work from home project which had been planned for years so that was good.

The tone of the email just didn't fit the times we are living through. All that was missing from her email was a postscript saying Coronavirus gets things done.

I presume she was going for the every cloud has a sliver lining approach. The time for that, if any, is next year if this has diminished and certainly with a lot more respect to those affected.

Comment

No plans for my place to close campus, but on the other hand they are going to limit the number of students who can go into the library at any one time. To 400.

Comment

Lead author of Imperial College report

[URL]https://twitter.com/neil_ferguson/status/1240171876695117824?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Our campus stays open but the students had voted with their feet even before the u-turn. I had less than 20 in a lecture of 75 Monday a.m.

yesterday, when I went in to collect ‘important stuff to work from home’ ( mainly my bike) the building was deserted- 3 students walked past my window in the 2 hours there.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                      No plans for my place to close campus, but on the other hand they are going to limit the number of students who can go into the library at any one time. To 400.
                      Bloody hell.

University of Essex library is now closed.....dunno about other UK libraries.

Comment

I’m on a WhatsApp group with UCU activists across the country (was useful on Monday in negotiations when our VC said ‘a tiny minority of Unis have gone against govt advice’ -I had a google doc listing just over 50% by that time..) and certainly there’s a growing minority shutting their library.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                          Way to go TG's mother! Reminds me of when my gran got tuberculosis aged 85. Many people who she hadn't seen in years showed up at the hospital to say hello. I think she was so offended by their lack of genuineness that she decided to get better and live into her 90s.
                          Sounds like my mum, someone should do a study into how much you can fight off diseases through sheer stubbornness. It's her cousins 70th birthday party this weekend and my mother wasn't missing this party for anything. My mum loves a party.

Comment

From a teacher friend

School attendance where I am down from 80% on Monday, 60% on Tuesday, 36% today.....
                            glad to hear your mum and family are all doing well TG

Comment

Not sure on numbers but on Tuesday our school was closed to years 9 and 10. I didn't go in today as virtually none of the 7s and 8s I teach said they be in.

Comment

Glad to hear TacGen’s family’s positive outcomes, especially for the “higher risk” mum. Fingers crossed we hear more stories like that as this virus passes through swathes of the population.

Comment

Aye, good to read some good news.

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

Great news TG

Comment

https://twitter.com/JonAshworth/status/1240218731411910656?s=20

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                                          I’m on a WhatsApp group with UCU activists across the country (was useful on Monday in negotiations when our VC said ‘a tiny minority of Unis have gone against govt advice’ -I had a google doc listing just over 50% by that time..) and certainly there’s a growing minority shutting their library.
                                          Teesside Uni suspended all this week's classes on Monday afternoon, and will move to online teaching only from next week. The campus and library are still open though, I guess because they don't really know what to do with international students or students who don't have their own computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                            Thatll teach the pesky bugger for daring to inform our glorious and benevolent government that it actually wasn't doing whatever it takes and was putting 250,000 lives at risk.

Comment

Capitalism

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1240132795655163916?s=20

Comment

Meanwhile in fiscally responsible the Netherlands:

1. Establish temporary arrangement for compensation for wage costs (Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment)

An entrepreneur who expects a loss of turnover (at least 20%) can apply to the UWV for a salary contribution for a period of three months (maximum 90% of the wage bill, depending on the loss of turnover). UWV will provide an advance of 80% of the requested contribution. This allows companies to continue to pay their staff. The condition is that no staff may be made redundant for economic reasons during the subsidy period. This Temporary Emergency Measure Bridging for Work Retention(NOW) will be opened as soon as possible and will replace the current working time reduction scheme. No new applications can immediately be submitted for this to SZW. Applications that have already been made, but not yet settled, will be handled in the new scheme. Entrepreneurs can apply for the allowance for a decrease in turnover from 1 March.
                                                Basically every country in Europe is doing something like this, but not the UK.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/david__osland/status/1240218372987592704?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Oh shit, I just realised I went to school with Sunak.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X