Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
    My company (South San Francisco) has now shut down on-site activities.
    The kids’ schools are still open, though, and my internet is still down.
    Still?

Are networks being overwhelmed by traffic?

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
      This appears to be the London Market response as well...pubs are rammed in The City.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Still?

Are networks being overwhelmed by traffic?
        I would imagine that’s a distinct possibility.

Comment

Dow Jones index just opened down another 1700 points.

Comment

My daughter's school is closed until at least 23 March, after a second person was diagnosed.

Comment

I see that "legitimate theatres" (aka those that show "Broadway plays") are closed n San Francisco

I am genuinely surprised that there hasn't been much talk of something similar here. The Metropolitan Opera is a particularly striking example, as the house seats more than 3000, and the average age of the audience must be around 70 (we always feel young when we go).

Comment

It is really odd how people (including the press) are tied to the Dow. That said, I just sit and watch interest rates which are similarly wacky right now. Swings 10 times the size what you would see in any other day.

That and liquidity of bonds is really drying up - like upthread about computers, if you can buy them you might find out they don't arrive. It is a real stress environment.

Comment

People are concerned about bond market liquidity

Comment

People are concerned about bond market liquidity
                    It is a legitimate problem. I have read a lot of hypotheses as to what we are seeing, but it is really obvious. I have never seen bid-ask spreads this wide on the long end of the yield curve. Then again I don't think we have ever seen sustained intra-day volatility like this.

Comment

Yes, for all of the jokes Levine makes, when it is a problem, it really is a problem.

Meanwhile, the Administration has formally adopted gaslighting

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1238090895003725824

Comment

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1238097900888080384

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                          It is really odd how people (including the press) are tied to the Dow.
                          Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                          t is a legitimate problem. I have read a lot of hypotheses as to what we are seeing, but it is really obvious. I have never seen bid-ask spreads this wide on the long end of the yield curve. Then again I don't think we have ever seen sustained intra-day volatility like this.
                          I think you answered your own question there

Comment

ad hoc - I just don't know why people use the Dow over the S&P 500.

Comment

Well people (people like me who don't follow or know much about these things) do because that's what the media reports.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

League of Ireland should be alright then
                                I've been waiting all morning for that one

Comment

Yes, for all of the jokes Levine makes, when it is a problem, it really is a problem.

I'm surprised he didn't just announce Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

I've been waiting all morning for that one
                                    you knew it was coming

Comment

I think that the mainstream media focus on the Dow is literally because it is a product of the mainstream media (Dow Jones publishes the Wall Street Journal).

This pattern was established yonks ago and seems impervious to change, as illustrated by the fact that the New York Stock Exchange circuit breakers don't even reference the Dow (but rather the S&P and other broad indexes).

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

I'm surprised he didn't just announce Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia
                                        Here’s what you could have won...

[URL]https://twitter.com/sunraysunray/status/1238073003554091008?s=21[/URL]

Comment

In a different timeline this would be the start of a 25th amendment coup by Pence because of Trump's incompetent handling of everything and his inability to give a very basic address last night.

Comment

https://twitter.com/xeni/status/1238079276680794112?s=20

Comment

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1238028206294413314?s=20

Comment

The trouble is that they're the people keeping Miller and Trump in power. Killing off a lot of their core vote might seem counter-productive unless they also intend to put an end to elections. (edit: in reply to Nef's penultimate post)

Comment

The wild card here is the reaction of the "markets", which are (correctly) concluding that all bets are off in an environment where national leadership is at best incompetent and more often malign.

Not only is that setting on fire a meaningful portion of the net wealth of GOP officials and their backers, but it has to be causing the likes of McConnell to fear that losing the Senate is now a real possibility.

And losing the Senate would mean the end of their entire "project".

Comment

Dutch PM just gave a press conference, together with the health minister and a representative of RIVM (public health institute). All events of more then 100 people are forbidden; locations where 100+ people gather (e.g. musea, theatres) are closed. Everyone should work from home as much as possible. Employers should shift working hours more flexibly. Universities are called on to move all lectures online, but classes are not cancelled. Schools remain open, for two reasons: 1) young people are not a risk group, but, more importantly: 2) forcing school children to stay home would also force their parents to stay home, which includes many health care and emergency service employees, whose work we need right now.

It's a relatively weak set of measures. The PM did allude to the US flight ban and added that instead, Dutch policy is based on the advice of experts.

More restrictions are likely to be announced later today for the province of Brabant, which is the heaviest-hit province in the Netherlands. Curious to learn what will happen; I live there.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X