No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got an unsolicited job offer from China this morning which includes this paragraph. I have no idea if this reflects the official story (or indeed the true one)
    As for the outbreak of the Novel Coronavirus Pneumonia(NCP)in China, the epidemic has been going on for a long time, and the latest data from the National Health Commission of the People’s Republic of China notification of NCP has shown good signs – except Hubei Province, the number of NCP cases in other areas have decreased continuously for 14 days. And the chief scientist of epidemiology of China CDC also said that the turning point of the epidemic situation has emerged, the development of the epidemic situation has been effectively controlled, and the country will enter the recovery period later.
    Last edited by ad hoc; 20-02-2020, 06:38.

Comment

My work colleague has been sending us pictures from the hotel in Milton Keynes where she is currently in quarantine. She has to fill in a food sheet everyday and they get offered plenty of food outside of those times. In fact she said in the e-mail they have more food than they can possibly eat! On Valentines Day the hotel gave every person there a free box of chocolates and she has a large suite with two bedrooms and bathrooms just for herself! It turns out they are being treated very well and she hopes to back with us soon.
      Last edited by Paul S; 20-02-2020, 09:40.

Comment

Two Japanese passengers from the Diamond Princess who were in their 80s and in hospital receiving treatment have died.

South Korea has seen a big spike in cases, up to 104, and has reported one death.

China, however, has reported considerably fewer cases today, only 393, which seems to support ad hoc's post above.

Comment

It reflects another methodology change

This new cases figure is a significant drop from the 1,749 reported the previous day. It seems to be largely due to another change in the way Hubei province reports cases.

According to the Hubei health commission, “suspected cases” and “confirmed cases” have been separated out again ... which I will try to explain below ...

You may recall that Hubei changed its reporting criteria last week to include “clinically diagnosed” cases as confirmed cases. That meant cases diagnosed by a doctor (i.e by using scans and assessing symptoms) were included in “new cases” along with patients who had tested positive using the nucleicacid test.

At the time, Chinese authorities said this change was to ensure patients who had symptoms but hadn’t yet had the tests, could access treatment immediately. There was also the suggestion the change was a way of mitigating anger over insufficient numbers of testing kids.

Last week’s change saw the number of cases shoot up by approximately 15,000 on one day, but in reality it reflected the counting change.

From my reading, the new system as of today has removed some of those people who were clinically diagnosed if they subsequently tested negative using the nucleic acid test.

“Based on comprehensive analysis, cases with negative nucleic acid test results were subtracted from the confirmed cases, and a total of 279 cases were corrected,” the health commission’s report said.

Comment

Dear, oh dear. Chinese child labour is the real story here, I reckon.

Comment

Ha, keen eye for a typo there NS.

Comment

A cult in South Korea. By the way, what is it about South Korea and Christian cults?

Comment

Bring within artillery range of the DPRK is a factor,.methinks

Comment

21st February update:

76,790 cases, 2,247 deaths. Deaths as a proportion of cases with outcome has now dropped to 11%.

Notably, today there were 891 new cases in China, 93 new cases in South Korea and 12 new cases in the USA.

Comment

NB, I think the 12 extras in the USA are the passengers who were flown home from the Diamond Princess despite testing positive just before the flight. Hard to be certain, but I think that's the case.

Comment

The increase in cases in China includes around 500 cases from a handful of prisons where they've just started testing inmates.

Comment

Things are turning ugly.

Comment

New cases reported in Israel and Lebanon. This will be bad if it reaches Palestine as the medical services there are already massively overstretched and under-resourced.

Iran now has 18 cases and 4 deaths (most deaths outside China).

Comment

Words fail. Totally wtf. Edit: re the Ukraine news.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                New cases reported in Israel and Lebanon. This will be bad if it reaches Palestine as the medical services there are already massively overstretched and under-resourced.
                                Lebanon of course too plays hosts to vast refugee camps from the Syrian war.

Comment

Just had my first Coronavirus related phishing attempt. Hardly compares to the Ukraine incident above, but, man this is bringing out the worst in people.

Comment

Italy reported 15 cases today, most in the Lombardy region.

Comment

The stats website I check is reporting a death in Italy, but I can't find any news story to confirm that yet.

Comment

Confirmation in Italian

78 year old from near Padova (Padua in English?)

https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/20...eto-249192220/

Comment

It is really frustrating that in modern times authorities that are certainly wise enough to recognize the problems caused by their actions keep adjusting calculation methods. As much as I hate accounting standards, the requirement to restate everything back a couple of years is an adequate punishment to deter one from such an action.

Comment

https://twitter.com/mondomascots/status/1231083747006541824

Comment

South Korea now has 433 cases, with the virus seemingly spreading through at least one hospital and one church / cult cluster.

How many countries need to have an epidemic before it's classed as a pandemic?

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                                South Korea now has 433 cases, with the virus seemingly spreading through at least one hospital and one church / cult cluster.

How many countries need to have an epidemic before it's classed as a pandemic?
                                                I'm not sure of the answer to that specifically, but a professor from John Hopkins University was on Up All Night this morning suggesting that the WHO are being too cautious and that we are on the tipping point of a pandemic, possibly already there.

Comment

Another death in Italy, a 76 year old woman from the hardest hit part of Lombardy, south and east of Milan.

Some towns in that region are on virtual lockdown, amateur sport events have been cancelled throughout Lombardy, a number of Carnevale events in Venice have been cancelled, and there are disruptions to public transport. Of particular concern to the authorities is the fact that many of the confirmed cases have not been to China. The man in the Veneto who died had no contact with a known carrier.
                                                  Last edited by ursus arctos; 22-02-2020, 13:20.

Comment

Italy has reported 34 new cases today, making it the worst affected country in Europe so far.

Iran has reported 28 cases and 9 deaths to date.

That means the virus is spreading locally in at least Asia, Europe and the Middle East. The USA has also reported person to person transmission, but it doesn't seem to be out of control there yet.

A number of passengers from the Diamond Princess have tested positive once arriving home, even though they tested negative in Japan. There are reports that people can test negative up to six times before then testing positive. That either means that they're catching the disease after they were first tested, or that in some instances the tests are giving false negatives.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X