Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
    The Church in Wales has announced that all services in church are suspended – Sundays, midweeks, funerals (crematorium ones are still allowed, as are services at gravesides), weddings (except where there are "pressing pastoral reasons" and then with a maximum of 10 people present), while baptisms will continue but also with a maximum of 10 present. No surprises here. One of my jobs has just vanished for the time being as a result however.

People seemed to be out and about here much as normal this morning, though I asked a grocer I know how things were and he said there was almost no-one coming in. It looks like the messages about self-isolation and social distancing are gradually getting through.
    What are the sort of "pressing pastoral reasons" for a church wedding ceremony?

Comment

The first thing I thought of was circumstances such as Vole's hastily arranged marriage service. Maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Ek weet nie View Post

Only realised how anxious about all this I've gotten when the WhatsApp notifications about this came in. Presume we're going full lock down.
        What did he announce?

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
          The first thing I thought of was Vole's hastily arranged marriage service. Maybe?
          That's true, I was literally weeks on this site, under a different name, when that happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

What did he announce?

nothing really. Was more of a Pull Together, We Can Beat This, this is the calm before the storm thing. I'd imagine any real lockdown will be next week or the week after. Barring Events.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

That's true, I was literally weeks on this site, under a different name, when that happened.
              What was that? It doesn't ring any bells for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

I'm fine thanks, Tobes. I think so anyway. I just thought that the information might help explain a few things and perhaps prompt the odd policy check.
                Fair enough. I'm willing to give "high-level" advice however I won't comment on personal arrangements for obvious reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

What was that? It doesn't ring any bells for me.
                  I presume HORN is talking about the Exploding Vole's marriage.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

I presume HORN is talking about the Exploding Vole's marriage.
                    Why was the marriage service hastily arranged?

Comment

Balderdasha he was dying at the time.

EDIT: That was not the tone I was aiming for. He was on limited time and wanted to have his vows beforehand.

WSC honour him every year with a new writer's award. Details on the main site.
                      Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 17-03-2020, 23:00.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                        What are the sort of "pressing pastoral reasons" for a church wedding ceremony?
                        Originally posted by HORN View Post
                        The first thing I thought of was circumstances such as Vole's hastily arranged marriage service. Maybe?
                        Yes, sorry, was going to explain in my previous post that I don't know as such but I too assumed it refers to weddings where one or both parties aren't expected to be able to wait much longer for health reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                          My prediction for today. By the end of today, I expect Europe to have more confirmed cases than China. Europe currently has about 67,000 cases, with several of the big hitters (Italy, Spain, France, UK), yet to report today's cases. China currently has 80,881 confirmed cases.
                          So, we were slightly under by the end of today. Over 77,000 cases in Europe so far. We'll outstrip China tomorrow.

Comment

Yes, I was. (Edit: reply to elguapo4)

For Balders' and others who weren't aware Vole, who was a long-standing OTFer, had flown home to visit family in Wisconsin, became ill during his trip, was given a terminal diagnosis, so promptly married his long-term partner.

Hopefully, even in these extraordinary times, that type of event won't keep churches too busy.
                            Last edited by HORN; 17-03-2020, 23:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                              Balderdasha he was dying at the time.

EDIT: That was not the tone I was aiming for. He was on limited time and wanted to have his vows beforehand.

WSC honour him every year with a new writer's award. Details on the main site.
                              Fuck. I had no idea, sorry. I must have not been on the forum much around that time.

Comment

No, no, no. That is not on you. Again, bad phrasing on my part.

Comment

Well, agreed HORN. To be honest, I'm relieved for the local rector's sake, as he's diabetic (he has an insulin monitor permanently wired into him, goodness knows how he gets in and out of his vestments comfortably) and so is in a high-risk group if he catches the coronavirus. The fewer people he has to mix with the better, so stopping services takes a decent chunk of those off his plate.

Comment

: "Given the risks of a trial not being able to complete, the Lord Chief Justice has decided that no new trial should start in the Crown Court unless it is expected to last for three days or less.

"All cases estimated to last longer than three days listed to start before the end of April 2020 will be adjourned. These cases will be kept under review and the position regarding short trials will be revisited as circumstances develop and in any event next week. As events unfold decisions will be taken in respect of all cases awaiting trial in the Crown Court."

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                      No, no, no. That is not on you. Again, bad phrasing on my part.
                                      Don't be so hard on yourself. It was very matter of fact. Such situations are very difficult to approach in any way without feeling you did a dis-service in the way you described the circumstances.

Comment

Seconded. It was nothing if not factually accurate, no matter how inadvertently tersely you may feel you worded it Toby.

Comment

I just went and read some of the "On Friday I will be married thread". I was 7 months pregnant at the time and I don't think I made it back onto the board until my daughter started sleeping more when she was around 6 months old, so it's not a huge surprise that I missed it. Still a shock though. I didn't realise any OTFers had died.

Comment

Some personal Corona Virus news.

My six year old son has been ill for the last week with a fever and flu like symptoms. The Hospital did not treat or admit him and recommended Calpol. Thankfully, he is much better.
                                            My 49 year old sister has been ill for a week with an on/off fever and symptoms akin to a chest infection. Thankfully, she is much better now.
                                            The same with my younger brother, who had much milder symptoms.

Both my brother and sister were not treated or tested and told to stay home and self isolate and not come to the hospital unless on deaths door.

My 80 year old mother who has numerous health issues (heart issues, asthma, diabetes, stroke) has had a cough for the last couple of weeks. She was admitted to hospital last Wednesday with an asthma attack. She was on a regular wards for three days until she was tested and diagnosed with Corona Virus after which, she was isolated and moved to ICU. The symptoms were not severe and she will be released tomorrow after the council disinfect her flat.

That's four people with potential Corona Virus and only one tested.

Unfortunately, my mother cannot self-isolate as she has limited mobility and needs assistance cooking and cleaning etc so she will have her sister and cousin coming round on a daily basis, as well as her six children and 20 odd grandchildren so she has on average 2-3 visitors per day. I'm probably glad she caught it early before the NHS is completely overwhelmed. Hopefully she has some immunity built in case a more lethal mutation comes back.

Comment

Bolleaux, the one place I went to for tea all bloody week was Selfridges and they've shut because a number of staff have been infected.

I didn't have any close contact with anyone in the beauty department and the only things I touched were a couple of perfume bottles, so fingers crossed. That was on Friday.

Comment

The Welsh health minister is self isolating because his son has developed a cough. And they still won't close the fucking schools. I hope he doesn't get the virus but if he does, it's his government's policy that put his son, and him, at risk.

Comment

Thoughts with you and yours, TG

Comment

Working...
                                                  X