No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paraguay is at its worst place currently throughout the pandemic, with record numbers of new cases and deaths from Covid-19 recorded in the last three days. It is also only just behind Uruguay in terms of number of deaths per million population in the last seven days.

Comment

Hope jason voorhees is OK

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        Hope jason voorhees is OK
        Thanks. It's nice they split the classes in half and gave us the UV filters and face masks, but there was a month where student's parents were dying and classes were getting sent home every week (except ours) and I started listening to nothing but Chicago and London and Jacksonville drill rap and the most nihilistic music to prepare me for death. (Loving the new Foolio album.)

It's not dying that scares me, it's dying because we couldn't wait 3 f'n months to give me a vaccine. Is my life really worth not waiting 3 months? Is anyone's?

Then I die, there's a 3 paragraph eulogy emailed, and a request to drop a few guaranies (it's about 6500 Guaranies to the Dollar at this time) a donation box in the office (that we've had about 9 different people asked to donate to, including a poor bastard that joined our school early as a substitute teacher as he's starting work next year only to get hospitalized with it and for us to get an email "as he doesn't have medical insurance we are asking for donations at this time.") At least my family will get about $36.35 that they can have a wonderful lomito sandwich dinner in my memory.

The parents got together and scared the board and admin into making us come back in person, then all fucked off to Miami to get vaccinated while we don't have anything beyond UV scrubbers and faceshields. Then the school - no real fault of their home as all my bile is aimed at the embassy - pretty much made us all go back home next month in order to get jabbed. Man, do I wish Cuba had that airport vaccine ready in June, where you get the land-and-jab.

I'm beyond disgusted with our embassy. At a meeting with them I asked about any plans for getting us vaccinated, and the marble-mouthed embassy liason said "Ohhhhh, welllll, we, uhhhhhh, we will certainly look into.....uhhhhh, rightnowit'sonlygovernmentemployees aaaaannnddd....." It's not that I care they're useless nobodies, it's that they pretend they are somebodies. Nothing makes me vomit like a nobody who pretends they're a somebody.

I mean my homeland has tens of millions of shit-for-brains who aren't using any vaccines, and Paraguay has been a steady ally of the states since our good friend Stroessner was torturing teachers and raping 9-year-olds off the street and the brainless son of his brainless second-banana became president and got Ivana Trump to visit us here. If not Paraguay, then who? How awesome we the people are at dropping bombs, can't we drop Pfizer fridges? Then this country has so many talented narcos (as Colombia through Mexico to the states goes, Bolivia to Paraguay to Santos to Africa then Europe is the other pipeline,) couldn't we get them to narco some Modernas over here?

I've been back at work since February, and haven't gotten it yet, although I was really sick for a few weeks and wondered if that was it.

That said, it seemed MUCH worse in March. We had about 4 parents die and our staff had 20+ cases. We have about 40 people on staff now. My shitty ex-district Newark had 75% of their teachers vaccinated before they returned to work, we're working on a steady pace to getting 75% infected. The problem is Paraguay did so well for so long, then the slimy workers started stealing oxygen tanks and medicine to sell to Brasil. Then people got bored of the quarantine and started partying then there was no medicine for the spike. Like India, we simply have no more oxygen tanks. At least the head of the health department resigned. (Will have to tell you stories about him in person.)

I hope I end up okay as well. The only good thing about playing the miserable position of goalkeeper my whole youth, it prepared me how to be that horse in Animal Farm. Keep doing my best until I'm sold to the glue factory.

But I'm at peace. I'm no different than any Amazon warehouse worker or Brasilian cab driver or truck driver who was forced to work during this time. Anyone that had to die to provide for their families. At least I had a 9-month head start of being safe in my house with the two cats (Black Puff and Tiger Puff, a mother-and-daughter team of whom the latter was born in our backyard,) and that's that.

But thanks ad hoc.

Comment

Grim but eloquent.

Stay safe.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Look after yourself mate.

Comment

Been tryin', will keep tryin'.

Comment

Yeah mate, keep tryin' really hard.

Comment

Ah crap JV, that's truly awful. What everyone else is saying, stay in serious goalkeeper mode. When is your school year over?

Comment

Fuck them all JV, keep it going, you are worth a 100 of them fella. Hug

Comment

What's a lomito sandwich?

Comment

Tough reading that Jason. Strength to you.

Meanwhile this is a summary of a story on Twitter

Comment

https://twitter.com/AP_Europe/status/1397204345482059796?s=19

Comment

https://twitter.com/charliehtweets/status/1396860852226215938?s=19

Comment

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1397489417099558912?s=21

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                  What's a lomito sandwich?
                                  34 min in - https://youtu.be/pevQC6PKPsE?t=2024

Also...
                                  https://www.instagram.com/lomitop.py/?hl=en

3rd row down in the middle. Although the Lomito Arabe (huge Lebanese population in PY) on the top left is the best one.

A lomito is a tenderloin, so a tenderloin steak sandwich.

Thanks all.
                                  Last edited by jason voorhees; 28-05-2021, 21:55.

Comment

Bromley is back up to where it was in March. The last couple of weeks have shown a slow but steady increase from 7/100k to 23/100k. It's only 76 confirmed cases, but it was below 20/week at one point.
                                    And yet when I pick the cub up from after school club, more and more people are turning up without masks, despite the pleas from the school and despite them having to have a mobile testing unit last week as 3 year groups had to isolate over 2 weeks. Yesterday of 5 parents I saw, 3 weren't wearing a mask and a 4th had theirs round their neck.

Comment

https://twitter.com/erictopol/status/1397581938483892228

Comment

BC restaurants open again today. June 15, provided targets are met, we can travel elsewhere in the province again. By July first we'll be allowed to travel elsewhere and tourists will be allowed into the province. Again this is all contingent on the present decline in cases continuing.

Comment

Our Firm just decided to fully re-open our NYC and Washington offices on 13 September

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                            Bromley is back up to where it was in March. The last couple of weeks have shown a slow but steady increase from 7/100k to 23/100k. It's only 76 confirmed cases, but it was below 20/week at one point.
                                            And yet when I pick the cub up from after school club, more and more people are turning up without masks, despite the pleas from the school and despite them having to have a mobile testing unit last week as 3 year groups had to isolate over 2 weeks. Yesterday of 5 parents I saw, 3 weren't wearing a mask and a 4th had theirs round their neck.
                                            It's annoying, and it's the case at our daughters school too, but if the virus hasn't been transmitted by children spending a day together in inadequately ventilated rooms, it's not going to be passed on in 10 minutes spent outside in the vicinity of someone not wearing a mask.

Comment

That graph's assumption of default downwards quality of life with age is so depressing.

Comment

It's just a graphical representation of life expectancy in effect, isn't it?

Comment

Well, the rising case numbers have now converted into rising hospital admissions once again, according to the official figures.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
                                                    Well, the rising case numbers have now converted into rising hospital admissions once again, according to the official figures.
                                                    Whilst that is worrying, what we don't know is who it is affecting where and what age groups. Is it the Indian variant affecting unvaccinated people or is it the Kent variant doing the rounds in the Isle of Wight affecting only teenagers?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X