X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://ctmirror.org/category/ct-vie...ve-is-garbage/

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

I think it was the latter, wasn't it. That, unlike Ox-AZ, Pfizer and probably Moderna too, which give substantial protection a few weeks after the first jab, Sinopharm requires both jabs and then a few weeks for a roughly equivalent level of effectiveness.
      I read somewhere, first jab of Chinese covid vaccine in Chile achieved 16% and after second jab 67% compared to the Pfizer at 95% after the 2nd jab.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
        Worth noting that 60% of the vaccinations administered in the Seychelles were Chinese Sinopharm vaccinations, and there have been quite varied reports on how effective that vaccination is.
        Turkey is also heavily reliant on this, I wonder if this explains their current surge in cases?

Comment

https://twitter.com/bbchealth/status/1390377280560635907?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

Turkey is also heavily reliant on this, I wonder if this explains their current surge in cases?
            It is very difficult to get reliable information out of Turkey, but a working hypothesis is that it is the result of a number of factors, also including the ill advised re-opening in March and the very slow pace of vaccinations.

Comment

My husband and I originally booked our vaccination appointments online as we were in the eligible categories but no-one had contacted us yet. We booked both first and second appointments, with the second appointment about 12 weeks after the first. Then the doctor's surgery contacted my husband to offer him a first appointment two weeks earlier and at a closer location. So he accepted that and cancelled the original appointments. Now though, he has heard nothing about booking his second appointment. I rang the surgery yesterday to query this and the receptionist could only tell me that they will contact him "within 16 weeks of his first appointment".

So, it seems that the UK has extended the time between vaccines again, from an initial three weeks, first to 12 weeks, and now to 16 weeks. I haven't seen this latest extension announced anywhere. Is it likely to be due to supply troubles?

I still have my second appointment booked for early June so it looks like I might end up with both vaccines before my husband.

Comment

I meant to put that on the vaccination that but never mind.

414,434 new cases of Covid-19 recorded in India yesterday, another daily high.

Comment

Brazil is the third country to exceed 15 million confirmed cases of Covid-19 and has the second highest death total. Over 417,000 deaths attributed to Covid-19 and currently still recording over 2,500 new deaths per day.

Comment

Worldwide, we have now reached 2% of the world's population confirmed to have been infected with Covid-19. Which tells me that this pandemic is far from over. We need to vaccinate as fast as possible. The country with the highest recorded infection rate so far is Andorra where 17.2% of the population has tested positive for Covid-19. If the world reached an infection rate of 17.2%, that would mean 1.358 billion individuals testing positive for Covid-19. We do not have the health infrastructure to cope with that.

Comment

India has exceeded 4,000 deaths attributed to Covid-19 today for the first time (exact figures won't be available until later today).

Comment

And here we go, IHME has begun modelling excess deaths and is displaying it in their projections:

http://www.healthdata.org/special-an...ovid-19-deaths

http://www.healthdata.org/covid/vide...d-19-model-run

Somebody smarter than me take a look.

Comment

That is fascinating, thanks for posting Matt!

Comment

Yes, thanks Matt.

Just skimmed it but it highlights vast under-reporting of COVID deaths in Eastern Europe, Africa and Asia. Russia is believed to have 5 to 6 times as many deaths as reported but Japan is more like 10 times! Egypt and Kazakhstan even worse.

Comment

[https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1390738628528201735

Comment

So, it seems that the UK has extended the time between vaccines again, from an initial three weeks, first to 12 weeks, and now to 16 weeks. I haven't seen this latest extension announced anywhere. Is it likely to be due to supply troubles?
                                All the information I get from our CCG emphasises that they are still focussed on keeping it to 11-12 weeks, so I reckon if your husband has to wait 16 weeks it'll be either a regional thing or. more likely, a cock up.

Comment

India has exceeded 4,000 deaths attributed to Covid-19 today for the first time (exact figures won't be available until later today).
                                  The eventual figure reported was 4,194 deaths yesterday from Covid-19 in India. Only two countries have ever reported higher daily death tolls. Brazil reported 4,211 deaths once on April 6th 2021. The USA had three days in January 2021 where it reported more than 4,200 deaths per day from Covid-19.
                                  ​​​​​​

Comment

The current USA official death toll from Covid-19 of 594,911 is now higher than the population of the city of Baltimore, Maryland. Or higher than the population of the state of Wyoming. Take your pick.
                                    Last edited by Balderdasha; 08-05-2021, 13:14.

Comment

Meanwhile, the UK official Covid-19 death toll of 127,598 is now higher than the populations of 33 UK counties, mostly Scottish and Welsh counties, including Pembrokeshire or Inverness-shire.

Comment

The current USA official death toll from Covid-19 of 594,911 is now higher than the population of the city of Baltimore, Maryland. Or higher than the population of the state of Wyoming. Or higher than the population of Turkmenistan, the country. Take your pick.

Turkmenistan has a population of over 6m.

Comment

How about it being higher than any city in Ireland apart from Dublin ( Belfast is higher if you include the entire metropolitan area).

Comment

That change in WHO advice seemed so belated, too. It seemed apparent from all the anecdata very early that there was almost no spread from fomites or outdoors (and all the superspreader events seemed to involve talking loudly and singing). Yet nobody wanted to release official data on how many recorded outdoor cases there were, I think out of fear that it would get misused.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Turkmenistan has a population of over 6m.
                                              Oops, sorry, was out by a factor of ten on the figure I looked at. Will remove that.

Comment

If we want an accurate country comparison, the USA death toll is higher than the populations of either Western Sahara or Suriname.

Comment

https://twitter.com/hemantmehta/status/1391044248548495367?s=19

Comment

Dutch scientists teach bees to smell coronavirus - when they do so, they stick their tongues out.

https://www.businessinsider.com/scie...ections-2021-5

Comment

Working...
                                                    X