Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Favourite Worst Nightmare View Post

This would be very sensible, and an approach that should have been taken in the first instance, given the advantage of being an island nation.

However I my understanding is that travel is only banned from South America and Portugal.

Other arrivals will have to “show proof of a negative test prior to departure and quarantine for 10 days upon arrival”, yet how this is to be policed is not clear to me.
    Well I'm just going off news headlines like this one (swiped just now)

Comment

Closing travel corridors just means people can't come in without a test or quarantining. It doesn't mean flights are stopped.

Comment

The USA has exceeded 400,000 deaths from Covid-19.

Comment

Fair enough. Johnson has announced all travel corridors into the UK will be closed from Monday.

We all happy?

Comment

Everybody's Happy Nowadays.

Comment

Happy as a fish

Comment

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1349766058949767170

Comment

Comforting and confirmatory news for what most of us had suspected, that outside transmission is quite rare: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-55680305

Comment

Growing anger in Ireland at the news that more staff at private hospitals have been vaccinated than frontline staff at public ones. One of the main private hospital groups is being paid to vaccinate frontline staff, despite refusing to sign a contract to treat public Covid overflow patients. Minister Donnelly runs away as usual, refusing to answer questions in the Seanad.

Comment

Record deaths in California yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                        Everybody's Happy Nowadays.
                        bet you are tired of being upset

Comment

1,295 deaths an increase of 260
                          41,346 cases a decrease of 18,591

This is a Saturday when recorded cases are generally lower in the UK.

It seems positive tests are falling but deaths are still over 1,000 a day. Almost nobody in the mainstream media or the Tory Party bats an eyelid or seems to care.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...droidApp_Other

Deprived areas see lower take up rates. The low paid don't get tested. It's no wonder when at best you might get sick pay, at worst nothing and be without a job.

Another scandal.

Comment

Sone interesting graphs in this article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51235105

Comment

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1350845042882174977?s=20

Comment

48 deaths reported in Wales today. On a Sunday.

Over 250 deaths in 5 days.

Comment

671 deaths in the UK, up 108
                                    38,598 cases down 16,342

The data makes it seem that the cases are falling but deaths are still on the increase. If we add 28 days to the peak number of positive cases we'll probably see the peak around there.

That's very crude maths and data analysis I know.

Comment

It’s a reasonable first approximation. And both a depressing (i.e. deaths are heading up for a couple of weeks yet) and a hopeful one (tier 4 was working/lockdown is doing so, and the wave due to the new variant will pass reasonably soon).

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                        It’s a reasonable first approximation. And both a depressing (i.e. deaths are heading up for a couple of weeks yet) and a hopeful one (tier 4 was working/lockdown is doing so, and the wave due to the new variant will pass reasonably soon).
                                        Let's hope that potentially closing the borders and potentially making people quarantine in hotels where they can be monitored actually goes ahead.

Only 11 months and 100,000 deaths too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                          the wave due to the new variant.
                                          Do we know that the wave is due to the new variant, and not due to inept release of earlier lockdowns, inept re-imposition of lockdowns, desperate Dine Out To Spread Disease programs, messaging about getting people into crowded pubs and crowded workplaces and onto crowded buses, and making sure that everyone knew that having a big get together was a fine thing to do for Christmas so probably fine a few weeks earlier, too?

My instincts tell me that the US also had a massive wave in winter brought on by administrative ineptness, confusion, and terrible messaging. And it did so without the new variant. I think blaming the UK's wave on the new variant lets the British government off the hook.

Comment

You forgot to include insisting everyone sent their kids to school because "kids can't catch it"

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                              I think blaming the UK's wave on the new variant lets the British government off the hook
                                              Which, obviously, is why they are doing it.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1350952086997970945?s=19

Comment

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1350612168211910663

Comment

That whole thread is among the most depressing things I've seen in a while, and it isn't as if there hasn't been a lot of competition.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X