No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Guardian reports a 74-fold increase in cases on the Isle of Wight since early December, with Army Chinooks on standby to fly patients needing hospital treatment off the island. The Isle of Wight was of course one of only three areas put into Tier 1 when the new tiering system came in.

Comment

Colleague of mine reports an interesting story. Dad works a delivery/pickup driver for NHS, he was not offered jab due to impending retirement. Talking to a GP on his round, the doc was so incensed by this he booked him for a jab then extended invite to his wife (on the very high risk list) as well...

Comment

I never thought I'd say that 3,084 cases is a good day, but compared to the last week, it really is. 46 deaths is much more sobering.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
          How are the government doing in the polls? Purely anecdotal, I know, but I was chatting to my ex earlier on this evening. She's voted labour all her life but says she's going to vote tory next time as 'it's not their fault and they're making the best of the hand they've been dealt." A few seconds later, she was saying that allowing people to get together for Christmas was a bad idea. Just wondered if the polls bear this kind of confused thinking out.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post

Yeah, temperature is a red flag, get one asap
            covids going round my work like wildfire
            the consistent thing everyone seems to have is loss of taste

Comment

1,243 deaths in the UK, the second highest ever.
              Cases are down but 45,533 is still incredibly high.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                How are the government doing in the polls? Purely anecdotal, I know, but I was chatting to my ex earlier on this evening. She's voted labour all her life but says she's going to vote tory next time as 'it's not their fault and they're making the best of the hand they've been dealt." A few seconds later, she was saying that allowing people to get together for Christmas was a bad idea. Just wondered if the polls bear this kind of confused thinking out.
                https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1349073823375777796?s=20

(REFUK being the Reform Party, Farage's new grift)

Comment

UK death toll of 83,000+ is now higher than the populations of Derry, Redditch or Scunthorpe.

Comment

USA death toll of nearly 387,000 is now higher than the populations of Bakersfield or Cleveland.

Comment

^ that poll omits the SNP, which they often seem to ...

Conservative 41% (+1)

Labour 37% (–)

Liberal Democrat 8% (-1)

Scottish National Party 5% (–)

Green 5% (-1)

Reform UK 2% (NEW)

Plaid Cymru 0% (-1)

Other 1% (-2)

Comment

Prob not representative sample size for Scotland, but 5% is incredible, and prob not far off. Hope to fuck that scumbag Salmond doesn't get Sturgeon defenestrated.

Comment

Plaid on 0 makes me wonder how many Welsh participants they had

Comment

https://twitter.com/NeilDotObrien/status/1349081690728140800?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1349073823375777796?s=20

(REFUK being the Reform Party, Farage's new grift)
                              A surprisingly appropriate acronym.

Comment

https://twitter.com/bhrenton/status/1349025666918920197

Comment

Cheese and cracker now separated by a hard border

https://twitter.com/isabeloakeshott/status/1349056758573129730

Comment

She can fuck off.

A friend of mine worked with this 25 year old woman who died: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55622371

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                      1,243 deaths in the UK, the second highest ever.
                                      Cases are down but 45,533 is still incredibly high.
                                      Absolutely. But given the time lags from infection to symptoms, which someone needs to show to become the index case of a cluster where all the contacts then get tested as well, that gives cautious optimism that the moves into tier 4 just pre- and post-Christmas are working. A couple of days ago should have been the tail end of the time for positives from infections caught ~25th Dec. Unfortunately hospitalisations lag positive tests by approximately a week, and deaths lag hospitalisations by very roughly the same again. So both of these are going to keep climbing for a while yet, even if the current measures are actually working and the rate of new infections being caught now is substantially decreasing.
                                      Last edited by Janik; 12-01-2021, 23:50.

Comment

What is an Isabel Oakeshott, and why should I give a flying fuck as to what it says?

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

A surprisingly appropriate acronym.
                                          My thoughts exactly. Farage has already fucked the country, now he's looking to REFUK it. (Incidentally, I didn't even know he had a new grift).

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                            What is an Isabel Oakeshott, and why should I give a flying fuck as to what it says?
                                            Bullshit artist and near the top of the BBC’s Rolodex of “political commentators” to be invited to everything.

Comment

She would presumably be offended by comparing Farage to a Nazi but is happy to insult the victims of the Stasi by comparing their suffering to having to wear a mask or not being able to go to the pub.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                She is the one who wrote the cock in a pig story.

Comment

I'd forgotten that.

Comment

Two low numbers in a row this week left the Wales deaths total hovering at 3,997 yesterday. 66 deaths reported today to take it well over 4,000 people.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X