X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/FintanOToolbox/status/1348669023349780484

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
      "That Great British Summer" is the new "have yourself a merry little Christmas".

These cunts are being saved by the vaccine. At the moment they are blaming the public's behaviour and a fortuitous new strand for their gross mixed - messaging throughout November and December.

Even if they fuck up the vaccine roll out, you still get the feeling they will get away with it.
      Our resident spoofing snide leaking cunt of a Tanaiste was giving the same shite about a good summer ahead. Which makes me almost certain we will still be in the shit then.
      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 11-01-2021, 18:20.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

Well, now I'm confused. What do they call football hooliganism then?
        Very clever!

Comment

In case anyone watched the press conference and wondered why there were questions about whether it is reasonable to travel seven miles to exercise:

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1348684969183498243?s=20

The two women in Derbyshire who got lifted for walking with coffee reportedly travelled five miles to get there.

Comment

How far are you allowed to cycle in Britain now?

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
              How far are you allowed to cycle in Britain now?
              There's no (no no no no) limit but the angle is that he was driven seven miles to then ride his bike, whereas the women in Derbyshire* were told driving five miles to go for a walk was excessive. The guidance (not the law) says exercise should be taken "within the local area".

*whose fines were rescinded this evening.

Comment

I don't actually think there's a problem with cycling 7 miles from home. If one cycles for exercise, what exactly is one supposed to do - go around in circles? People should challenge the government on stuff that matters, not this nonsense.

Comment

It seems to be stating the obvious, but if people are exercising outside and away from other people, and they're not interacting with people in the process of getting to their exercise, or getting changed for their exercise (this is the problem with most team sports at both amateur and professional level), then it's idiotic if it's proscribed. If the PM had his driver drive him to Olympic Park for a bike ride, it's obviously a bit rotten. Although in the grand scheme of things that Boris Johnson has done wrong, it seems pretty trifling.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                    It seems to be stating the obvious, but if people are exercising outside and away from other people, and they're not interacting with people in the process of getting to their exercise, or getting changed for their exercise (this is the problem with most team sports at both amateur and professional level), then it's idiotic if it's proscribed.
                    Exactly. Last Saturday we chose to take our exercise around a local lake a couple of miles from here along, it seemed, with everyone else living in south Manchester including a few people we knew who inevitably we stopped to chat to. On Sunday we drove to the Peaks and saw about 2 other families. The former activity is encouraged, the latter not.

Comment

It is indeed trivial in the grand scheme of things but their own guidance says “exercise should be taken in the village, town or part of the city in which you live" and the government's own scientific advisors are trying to promote the message that people should stay within the guidelines rather than find ways to push the boundaries of them. No one is making him cycle for exercise (Norman Tebbit isn't that influential these days) and he has been keen enough to be photographed running in the past.

Comment

Well, I freely admit I cycle far enough each morning to be out of the "part of the city in which I live", and have done so since the first lockdown. There really isn't a problem. These sorts of stories distract from the real issues.

Comment

The issue isn't how far he cycled though, it's he got driven 7 miles from his home to ride his bike.

Pity he didn't have a go on the zip wire while he was there.

Comment

How are the government doing in the polls? Purely anecdotal, I know, but I was chatting to my ex earlier on this evening. She's voted labour all her life but says she's going to vote tory next time as 'it's not their fault and they're making the best of the hand they've been dealt." A few seconds later, she was saying that allowing people to get together for Christmas was a bad idea. Just wondered if the polls bear this kind of confused thinking out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                              'it's not their fault and they're making the best of the hand they've been dealt."
                              I've heard that a few times from people in the UK. I guess they don't notice how other places are doing — except maybe the US, which is far from typical too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                                How are the government doing in the polls? Purely anecdotal, I know, but I was chatting to my ex earlier on this evening. She's voted labour all her life but says she's going to vote tory next time as 'it's not their fault and they're making the best of the hand they've been dealt." A few seconds later, she was saying that allowing people to get together for Christmas was a bad idea. Just wondered if the polls bear this kind of confused thinking out.

Tories and Labour are neck and neck: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinio...neral_election

Comment

I did point out how badly we were doing but seemingly to no avail.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

I've heard that a few times from people in the UK. I guess they don't notice how other places are doing — except maybe the US, which is far from typical too.
                                    Mrs AE is on a WhatsApp group with about 50 other Turkish mums who all live in and around Greenwich. About half of them are relatively active and all seem to be aware of what's happening in Turkey and don't support Erdoğan or the AKP yet a small vocal minority think the same; Johnson is doing a good job in the circumstances.

Incidentally they opposed the closing of schools and shared some conspiracy theory videos, especially those saying that Bill Gates is injecting us with a chip and various other theories that have been debunked in the mainstream media.

I stress they are a minority but do exist. If they've been following Turkish language news it's clear how bad the UK is, I keep getting messages from friends asking me if we're OK as they've heard x,y and z about the UK on Turkish TV or read it.

Comment

Being driven seven miles to have a bike ride seems to be being criticised but being driven from London to Bristol for a photo opportunity in a vaccine centre is apparently Just Fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                        Being driven seven miles to have a bike ride seems to be being criticised but being driven from London to Bristol for a photo opportunity in a vaccine centre is apparently Just Fine.
                                        Was that Johnson again or one of his cronies?

Comment

Johnson again, filmed bursting into someone getting jabbed like an overly enthusiastic puppy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
                                            I don't actually think there's a problem with cycling 7 miles from home. If one cycles for exercise, what exactly is one supposed to do - go around in circles? People should challenge the government on stuff that matters, not this nonsense.
                                            This. And the two women in Derbyshire have had their fines rescinded and received apologies from Derbyshire Police. The people in the wrong in all this were... Derbyshire Police. Again.

Comment

I've put the food for vulnerable families scandal on the Tory Corruption Thread. There is nothing in this pandemic the Tories won't monetise and use as a way for their mates to trouser funds. Willing to bet one of them will come up with another vaccine soon that will cost three times as much and not actually exist. They're theives, enabled by ignorant people like the one Jon was talking to (a few posts back).

Comment

So hypothetically, if someone had a nasty headache and a temperature of say 38.5, is that in itself reason to ask for a COVID test? Asking for a friend...

Comment

Originally posted by The_Purple_Cow View Post
                                                  So hypothetically, if someone had a nasty headache and a temperature of say 38.5, is that in itself reason to ask for a COVID test? Asking for a friend...
                                                  Yeah, temperature is a red flag, get one asap

Comment

Hope it's nothing serious TPC, but headache plus temperature is a sign.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X