Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    Tbf this isn't a terrible idea. Not sure how much warning the Beeb got before it was announced
    I thought I saw it announced before old shitforbrains's show.

Comment

It's a good idea if they're given additional budget for it, which I highly doubt. And prep time. Coming up with quality educational material in very short order is no mean feat.

Comment

Can I ask that OTF collectively stops following the government line that "schools are closed." They aren't. Between vulnerable children and key worker children we have half the children in. We have to teach them then find time to record/run online lessons for the others. That's a doubling of workload, not a closing.

Had we given the parents all the places they asked for on the forms we sent out, there would have been only 4 missing from each class. It helps that any job that's connected in any way with Brexit is now deemed to be a key worker role.

Not had a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
          It's a good idea if they're given additional budget for it, which I highly doubt. And prep time. Coming up with quality educational material in very short order is no mean feat.
          Re-edit old episodes of Jigsaw to inflict Noseybonk on a fresh generation.

Comment

Like Mundane Thread III, is this thread getting too big and unwieldy? Should I start a Covid-19 Pandemic Thread II: 2021, The Revenge of The Variant?

Comment

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1346540391143788544

Shame that evolution is so damn slow
              Last edited by ursus arctos; 05-01-2021, 20:16.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post
                Can I ask that OTF collectively stops following the government line that "schools are closed." They aren't. Between vulnerable children and key worker children we have half the children in. We have to teach them then find time to record/run online lessons for the others. That's a doubling of workload, not a closing.

Had we given the parents all the places they asked for on the forms we sent out, there would have been only 4 missing from each class. It helps that any job that's connected in any way with Brexit is now deemed to be a key worker role.

Not had a good day.
                That's fucking ridiculous, surely someone must have said it's either or. You cannot be expected to teach a class and run online classes at the same time.

Your union must step in to stop this as this isn't for a couple of days.

We had a union meeting today, the SLT member decided to join, as is their right, they said nothing but caused people to remain quiet. I've been bcced into the union response to the head and it's actually very good, forceful and clearly states that online lessons replace in school ones.

We've also heard string rumours that this lockdown affecting schools is going on until Easter.

I've done a single day of online lessons and I'm exhausted. There's no way this is sustainable for 6 weeks or more. Sitting in front of a screen for 6 or 7 hours with little time for a break is going to cause health problems.

Comment

While I'm not a teacher, or have any close friends that are, it does seem that things in my school district are being handled way better than over there.
                  There's been no in-school classes since March, but this has been communicated far in advance, which should at least have given teachers plenty of time to prepare for online learning (except for the initial closure, which was pretty rapid, understandably). The district has supplied laptops to every student who needed one, and might have assisted with internet access - I have no first hand evidence of the latter, but they were asking about it earlier in the year. Of course this doesn't solve the space issues that some families will have. There have been meals provided throughout the year.
                  When in school classes resume the teachers will (at least in the elementary school) not be expected to teach in person and online at the same time. I have not seen plans for middle school resumption yet, that will be starting at a later date than the elementary schools (much larger schools, with pupils moving between classes (which aren't all the same group of kids) rather than remaining in the same room increases the likelihood of widespread transmission).
                  Masks have been required for any and all contact with school staff since April (if I remember correctly), and I don't see that changing if the kids are back at school.
                  The situation is not ideal, but could be a lot worse.

Comment

More people dead from COVID in LA yesterday (224) than all of San Francisco's COVID deaths since March (198)

Comment

New restrictions coming in here. A summary:

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_n...ses-surge.html

In our region, the curfew has been moved forward to 10 o'clock, All bars and restaurants closed at 5. Absolutely no smoking even in bar and cafe terraces. I think smoking outdoors per se has been banned. 29 towns closed except for essential journeys. All school age and amateur sports activities suspended, though gyms are still open.

As are schools. To be fair, outbreaks due to these have been fewish. But teachers are still angry.

Comment

My partner did a couple of months of online teaching earlier this year and coped okay, even though there were issues with internet connections on the part of some students. She's lucky in that her particular subject is an optional one, so class sizes are low, meaning she can pay more attention to indiviual students.

Comment

Dumfries and Galloway recorded 708 cases between 26 December - 1 January, an increase of 605 on the previous week. 30% of all cases reported in the region so far during the pandemic were reported in that week.

Comment

The UK exceeded 60,000 new cases in one day for the first time yesterday.

Comment

This is a tweet thread about "sceptics" (mainly journalist)s who have been consistently wrong

https://twitter.com/RichardJaEvans/status/1346420523832586240?s=19

Comment

Taiwan has reported over 800 cases now and 7 deaths. Which is an astonishingly good performance.

Comment

Andrea Loathsome has just been on the BBC saying that full lockdown in response to COVID is like reacting to the science that says people die in road accidents by banning everyone from driving.

Comment

I hope she dies so.

Comment

Me too.

Comment

Seconded. Every single one of these pricks willing to sacrifice lives to the great god of the economy should - at the very least - be out there doing the jobs they're happy for others to do on their behalf. Toby Young, Hartley-Brewer, the fucking lot of them. Get out and do something worthwhile for the first time in your miserable lives.

EDIT: Thirded, apparently

Comment

Banning everyone from driving would be great though

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                            Banning everyone from driving would be great though
                                            Yep.

Comment

Another load of emails and directives today.

Next week we're having an online parents evening for Year 11s, yep the same group whose exams have just been cancelled. So after a full day of teaching we're being asked to spend the whole evening in front of our screen.

We also had a briefing that lasted double the scheduled time. The head put on their best Johnson impression with smug grins to whoever was in the room with them.

At some point this is going to turn very nasty.

This is only day three or day two of teaching.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...droidApp_Other

The new regulations don't expire until the end of March, there's the clue that we'll be in lockdown until then.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...droidApp_Other

More nonsense and more pressure on staff, our school has hinted about this being likely.

The government has had the best part of a year to put this right but refused to act. Now we've got many kids unable to access education and the penny has dropped.

Comment

https://twitter.com/NextIrishGE/status/1346843141765292034

Comment

Working...
                                                    X