Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
    Anyone know what the first time the BMJ and HSJ issued a joint editorial was?
    It was about Lansley’s health service reforms

Comment

German media report that the EMA may accelerate approval for Pfizer and BionTech to December 23rd.

Comment

So "the last 100 years" is really the last 10 years.

Put another way, the only times that the BMJ and HSJ have written joint editorials in their 100 years of publishing have been in the last 10 years directed at Tory government decisions.

Comment

Aha, ta. Although let's not let the Liberals off from owning the Lansley shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post

This is a few weeks old, but:
            Thank you, to you and Patrick. It appears that the information I had was dated, and was probably being presented by people who had a vested interest in wanting kids back in permanent free daycare. As Patrick notes, having no data on school transmission because the schools were closed helped make it easy to present shoddy data.

This tracks with what I’d have expected to be true - there seems no obvious reason why 13 year olds can’t catch and transmit a disease that 19 year olds can. I was just misled by media bullshit.

Comment

Thanks for the sympathy, everybody, and the same to you, Beak.

I think the acid test of the Dutch lockdown will actually come on New Year's Eve, when the farmer boys gather with their milk churn cannons, and thousands of people vent their frustration by getting very pissed and wantonly seeking to blow things up even more than usual. Wayooh!

I'm really, really worried about what's going to happen in England over Christmas. People have gone without seeing friends and family for months now. Why blow it all for a quasi - religious indulgence fest when the vaccine is so close?

The commercial pressure built up around Christmas in the UK has become insane.

Last year while visiting, my daughter pointed out how wierd it was that all the television news bulletins invariably led with items about how well the shops were doing and what their sales figures were. Bugger all about good will to all men (or women, come to think of it) .

Every year I go back for Christmas, and to be honest it's a huge stress. Moving around from house to house with a suitcase. Ferrying daughters to and from the airport, stress about presents, prep before the journey, long drives, appearing jolly when you're just not and knackered. And it all costs a bloody fortune.

Much better to try to see my family without all that background stress later.

I mean, I love Christmas. Its a lovely, atmospheric time of year, and I'm actually looking forward to a peaceful, different one. Even if I'm working late nights every day apart from Christmas Day this time. I shall cook whatever I want, go on huge winter walks, and save a bloody fortune.
              ​​

Comment

https://twitter.com/NextIrishGE/status/1338836760437067777

Earlier in the pandemic he was crowing that transmission rates in nationalist constituencies were much higher than in unionist ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post

Did they? The most I've seen is something acknowledging the order and saying they're seeking legal advice.
                  Parents on the Facebook groups last night received messages from schools saying that they are open as usual.

Comment

Seems the EMA will in fact now meet in Monday the 21st:

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/1...ndemic-update/

Comment

San Mateo County reported 860 new cases yesterday (or 0.11% of the population), eclipsing our old record of 589 set last Monday.
                      Caveat is that Monday's numbers are really two days' worth, as nothing gets reported (generally) on Sundays.

Comment

Numbers in Romania are falling. The change from increasing to decreasing seems to have started a couple of weeks after schools shut down. It could be coincidence of course but the only major difference I can see between the approaches in the UK and here is the school situation

Comment

Heresy, kids aren't spreaders cos too wee or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                            https://twitter.com/NextIrishGE/status/1338836760437067777

Earlier in the pandemic he was crowing that transmission rates in nationalist constituencies were much higher than in unionist ones.
                            Things looking bad in Northern ireland

https://twitter.com/GreenGrounded/status/1338916692362223617?s=20

Comment

And in the rest of the country if you're poor

https://twitter.com/jdportes/status/1338931526776582149?s=20

Comment

Even before COVID
                                a woman living in the most deprived area in north-east England, or other areas outside London, had less chance of living a long and healthy life in 2019 than she would have had 10 years ago
                                Fucking David Cameron and George Fucking Osborne.

Comment

Not sure how much I can say about this, but theoretically, would anyone here be surprised to hear that a covid immunisation centre had to be temporarily shut down because, um, lots of the immunisers tested positive for covid?

Comment

Yes - they have consistently reported higher daily case numbers than the Republic, even though the latter has a population two-and-a-half times larger, so 486 cases and 6 deaths would equate to 1,000+ and 15 respectively here.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                      Not sure how much I can say about this, but theoretically, would anyone here be surprised to hear that a covid immunisation centre had to be temporarily shut down because, um, lots of the immunisers tested positive for covid?
                                      Unfortunately, this would be profoundly unsurprising in a system that relies on double and triple contracting out to firms that supply general casual labour

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Unfortunately, this would be profoundly unsurprising in a system that relies on double and triple contracting out to firms that supply general casual labour
                                        Except it's an NHS facility staffed by NHS nurses

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                          And in the rest of the country if you're poor
                                          That's becoming increasingly apparent here. They appear to have relatively good treatments now - the drug cocktails that managed to get the elderly and apparently incredibly high risk Trump and Giuliani in and out of hospital in a couple of days. But those treatments really do seem to be reserved for a very limited few who have access to the best hospitals. Meanwhile, many thousands - presumably many healthier than Don and Rudy - are dying every week, and we're at the point where thousands are now unable to even get into hospitals across the US for any treatment at all.

Comment

I’m not sure the drugs were what made the difference with Trump and Rudy. Some of them may have helped, but it seems as likely that they just got lucky. Even for people over 85 who get it, they have about. 70% of surviving (as I understand it).

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/d...us-treatments/

This is worth checking out.
                                            https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10654-020-00698-1#Tab3

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 16-12-2020, 02:33.

Comment

Turkey has strange case numbers. It has overtaken both the UK and Italy in terms of total number of cases (nearly 1.9 million) but has still recorded fewer than 17,000 deaths, compared to more than 64,000 deaths for both Italy and the UK.

Comment

California had record deaths (290) again yesterday.

Comment

Texas, man

https://twitter.com/BradfordPearson/status/1339244033693147147

he wedding photographer had already spent an hour or two inside with the unmasked wedding party when one of the bridesmaids approached her. The woman thanked her for still showing up, considering “everything that’s going on with the groom.”

When the photographer asked what she meant by that, the bridesmaid said the groom had tested positive for COVID-19 the day before. “She was looking for me to be like, ‘Oh, that’s crazy,’ like I was going to agree with her that it was fine,” the photographer recalls. “So I was like, ‘What are you talking about?’ And she was like, ‘Oh no no no, don’t freak out. He doesn’t have symptoms. He’s fine.’”

The photographer, who has asthma and three kids, left with her assistant before the night was over. Her exit was tense. The wedding planner said it was the most unprofessional thing she’d ever seen. Bridesmaids accused her of heartlessly ruining an innocent woman’s wedding day. She recalls one bridesmaid telling her, “I’m a teacher, I have fourteen students. If I’m willing to risk it, why aren’t you?” Another said everyone was going to get COVID eventually, so what was the big deal? The friend of the bride who’d spilled the beans cried about being the “worst bridesmaid ever.”

Comment

Christ.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X