Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post

There could be a fascinating argument over that contract. If the tournament isn't held this year, does he get to see it out? Or is it terminated as of the date that the tournament was scheduled to end?
    My crystal ball predicts that a deal will be struck where Mick gets to continue to the summer of 2021 to finish out what is now Euro 2021, and in the process of that makes a complete mess of the first half of the Qatar 2022 qualifiers. Stephen Kenny inherits a team six points off qualification when he takes over in July 2021. We fail to qualify by five points, and Stephen Kenny is blamed. After our brief experiment with a modern manager, tried-and-tested David Moyes is named as manager for the Euro 2024 campaign. Put 'em under pressure.

Comment

I know nothing about this reporter, so take it with a grain of salt, but...

[URL]https://twitter.com/vhmichel/status/1238159424180674561[/URL]

Comment

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1238164370284326912

Comment

I work in the NHS (non-clinical), and in a statement the leader of the trust's Covid-19 preparations stated that estimations are that 80% of the UK population will contract the virus, with 20% of them requiring hospital treatment. That 80% seems high to me, not sure where they are getting that from, or whether that is a number they expect over a long time period. Either way, it sounds like they're preparing for an Italy-style surge of patients.

There have also been reports of hand sanitiser and face-masks being stolen from wards. It's not helping my faith in humanity.

Comment

And my company is now making everyone work from home. I was already in mandatory WFH thanks to my trip to Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
              Cor, scientific bods at the Prime Minister's press conference speculating that the peak might still be 10-14 weeks away.
              I hope it's that soon.

Comment

We can but dream that it's a disease transmitted from fascists to fascists...

Comment

Originally posted by lambers View Post
                  I work in the NHS (non-clinical), and in a statement the leader of the trust's Covid-19 preparations stated that estimations are that 80% of the UK population will contract the virus, with 20% of them requiring hospital treatment. That 80% seems high to me, not sure where they are getting that from, or whether that is a number they expect over a long time period. Either way, it sounds like they're preparing for an Italy-style surge of patients.

There have also been reports of hand sanitiser and face-masks being stolen from wards. It's not helping my faith in humanity.

Yes, an 80% infection rate for a virus with a low-singe digit mortality rate doesn't make for a pleasant multiplication.

Comment

Following the new advice from HMG my son, who's been feeling rough for a while now and has a persistent cough, is going to self-isolate at his university hall of residence.

I'm still waiting to find out if he's going to accept the kind offer of my complete Spotify playlist selection to entertain him while he kicks his heels.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1238170169907851265?s=20

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                        Following the new advice from HMG my son, who's been feeling rough for a while now and has a persistent cough, is going to self-isolate at his university hall of residence.

I'm still waiting to find out if he's going to accept the kind offer of my complete Spotify playlist selection to entertain him while he kicks his heels.
                        Best wishes to him and very sensible advice

Comment

https://twitter.com/BetootaAdvocate/status/1238013005624819718?s=11

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/kendrajames_/status/1238160440523255808?s=21[/URL]

Comment

My parents went up to Cumbria to see some friends the other week, and took part in a pub quiz.

My mum and both friends became ill with flu-like symptoms after hearing that one of the participants had tested positive for Covid-19.

Mum has taken the test and is self-isolating. Worryingly, my parents went to see my 91-year-old gran before symptoms presented themselves.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1238174475360899078?s=21[/URL]

Comment

[cue movie trailer voice]

Coming to a cinema near you, from the government that brought you Hurricanes Katrina and Maria...

Comment

Anyone know exactly what sort of test it is, and how quickly results are known?

Comment

There are multiple versions (the Cleveland Clinic just debuted a new one this morning) and the answers to both of those questions differ depending on the type (but we are talking lab work in all cases)

Comment

The league probably spent a lot of money to make that happen. They have there reasons. But not everyone really needs to be tested. The much bigger concern is the disparity in access to treatment and the lack of paid sick leave.

Screening for it is probably unfeasible under the best of circumstances and not very useful because it takes a while for the test results to come back so somebody who screens negative in the morning could have it by the afternoon.

My friend who is an ER nurse near Philadelphia says that testing is largely as waste of time and money because it does not change patient outcomes. If you have the symptoms, self-isolate, etc. If you have respiratory problems, get to the ICU. The treatment is the same if it’s COVID-19 or just seems like COVID-19. There’s no downside to treating a non-C19 flu as if it is C19, so testing doesn’t guide treatment.

Comment

I think, sadly, that this is going to make those look trivial by comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
                                            My parents went up to Cumbria to see some friends the other week, and took part in a pub quiz.

My mum and both friends became ill with flu-like symptoms after hearing that one of the participants had tested positive for Covid-19.

Mum has taken the test and is self-isolating. Worryingly, my parents went to see my 91-year-old gran before symptoms presented themselves.

Fingers crossed for your folks, MOF.

There are going to be plenty more of these sorts of stories on OTF in the weeks ahead, I'm sad to say, so the very best of luck everyone. We're going to need it.

Comment

What he said

Comment

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1238075702240559107

Comment

I can't believe the Dail is still going to meet next week to pass legislation re sick pay increases. Surely they can meet remotely or the minister can sign orders that may later be found ultra vires.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                                    Anyone know exactly what sort of test it is, and how quickly results are known?
                                                    Not sure what the test is, but we've been told it takes 2 days for results to come through.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X