No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose when it comes to parasitic toxic organisms, game respects game.

Comment

Janik, how excited should we get over this?

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
        I should have bought some Pfizer stock....
        Meanwhile (from Twitter):

Interestingly, Ocado has plunged 6.5% and Just Eat Takeaway down 3.6% in the last 20 mins or so as investors hoping to cash in on the "new normal" get cold feet.

Zoom also down 5% in pre-market trading.

Comment

It’s not going to fix the world any time very soon.

Comment

Ocado's only back to what it was 10 days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
              Ocado's only back to what it was 10 days ago.
              Much excitement elsewhere in the market (BBC):

The UK FTSE 100 was up over 5% - adding more than ?80bn to the value of its shares in its best day since March - while the French CAC was up over 6% and Germany's DAX up over 5%.

In London, airline stocks rose strongly as investors bet on the vaccine potentially opening up international travel.

The owner of British Airways, IAG, was up over 40%.

Rolls Royce, which makes aeroplane engines, was up 36%.

EasyJet was up 29%, Intercontinental Hotels was up 15%, Cineworld was up 55% and the cruise company Carnival was up 37%.

As HP suggests, this all seems a bit prematurely optimistic.

Comment

Good news, but the logistics might be interesting. The biggest issue would seem to be enough available storage at -80C and the ability to transport 30 million vials at that temperature. I'm pretty certain a standard fridge unit can't get anywhere near that low.

Comment

Stick it in the away end at Grimsby.

Comment

Meanwhile, in the Netherlands, the second wave seems to have turned a corner:

Comment

Don Jr. is already claiming that the news was delayed until after the election, as if the company would lose out on all this profit for a week (an risk being beaten to the goldmine) just to fuck Trump.

Comment

The family's ability to produce toxic spawn who are even worse than their toxic fathers is grimly impressive

Comment

https://twitter.com/KeenanKFOX_CBS/status/1325641669262204930

Comment

It jumps out at me that the vaccine trials are not complete, results has yet to be published in a medical journey, and there have been no peer reviews. So how effective the vaccine will be appears, to me, to be not yet proven.

And yet multiple countries are falling over themselves to order this (no doubt to ensure poorer countries can't obtain it). I think it's jumping the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by lambers View Post
                              It jumps out at me that the vaccine trials are not complete, results has yet to be published in a medical journey, and there have been no peer reviews. So how effective the vaccine will be appears, to me, to be not yet proven.

And yet multiple countries are falling over themselves to order this (no doubt to ensure poorer countries can't obtain it). I think it's jumping the gun.
                              It is very much so. Still, it is also inevitable behavior. Too many people want this to be over, to wait for due scientific process.

Comment

https://twitter.com/seatrout/status/1325797809635921921?s=19

Comment

Would 90% effectiveness actually stop a pandemic, especially when you add in the anti-vaxxers?

Comment

Likely dependent on many factors, especially a) how quickly can you roll out a mass vaccination programme and b) how long does immunity last for?

Comment

90‰ is good. Most vaccines are close to that

Comment

If anyone's unquestionably trusting a peer-reviewed journal to be a measure of accuracy I have some beachfront real estate in New Mexico to sell them...
                                        But, in seriousness I think I'd trust this more than a published article because the FDA actually has teeth, and take mis-representing trials results seriously. Still doesn't mean that it's actually correct though, and doesn't address the questions of how long protection lasts and how many mutations the virus would require for protection to be ineffective.

Comment

I'd trust this as far as it goes - that it's shown to be 90% effective compared to placebo in a fairly large population trial over a month or so with no observed side effects yet.

It doesn't have FDA clearance, and nobody's had a chance the peer review the results, and even if it gets cleared it's going to take a long time to distribute. But right now it looks like some pretty fucking great news.

Even better is that - as I understand it - the mechanism at work here is similar to one being used in other trial vaccines, so if this works there's a good chance that they will work too. And with multiple vaccines that makes production and distribution slightly less daunting.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                                            But, in seriousness I think I'd trust this more than a published article because the FDA actually has teeth, and take mis-representing trials results seriously.
                                            I rather suspect that quite a few people in politics and journalism won't be quite so rigorous.

Comment

What does 90% effective mean, for the layman? Don't only around 10% of people test positive for Covid to begin with?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                                What does 90% effective mean, for the layman? Don't only around 10% of people test positive for Covid to begin with?
                                                It means that if 100 people in an unvaccinated population would get the disease normally, then with the same size population vaccinated only 10 people would. It reduces infection rates by 90%.

Comment

Same as those bleach adverts that claim to kill 99% of bacteria?

Edit: in repsonse to Rogin

Comment

Bonus, the Trumpists are convinced the announcement was delayed on purpose...If only it was true...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X