No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday the USA reported 101,461 new cases, the first country to report more than 100k cases in one day. India got close, but peaked at around 97-98k new cases in one day.

Comment

Maybe they'd be better off allowing essential shops to remain open, and close the non essential shops.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

Maybe they'd be better off allowing essential shops to remain open, and close the non essential shops.
        Define essential and non-essential.

Comment

And now the government is furious at itself for doing the thing that it has been deliberately and constantly doing for the last 9 months:

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1322472470901915648?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Define essential and non-essential.
            That's a whole other debate, but on this occasion I was facetiously pointing out the error in the tweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
              I'm expecting all the gammon Tories who have been screaming at the Welsh Government for killing the economy with its lockdown suddenly becoming very pro-lockdown and supportive of measures to control the virus and encouraging everyone to do the right thing.
              Yes. To "Save Christmas." That's what it's all about.

Do you recall those imaginary "concerned doctors" predicting massive spreading by Muslims ignoring the rules and holding Eid parties? And not the tiniest recognition of the thousands of families who cancelled their celebrations at a couple of day's notice, IIRC? Bet you the same fuckers will be demanding they get to have the rules changed for Christmas.

I. Hate. This. Fucking. Country.

Comment

Not sure where this belongs really - article (in English) from a very good Romanian paper on the unionisation of people (more or less all immigrants, 50% Romanian) working in a sandwich factory in Northampton, as they were affected by the Covid pandemic (and of course like all of these low wage, on-the-edge-of-poverty-workforces, an environment rich in super spreader potential) https://www.dor.ro/how-the-pandemic-...t-of-the-cold/

Comment

The global death toll hit over 7,500 yesterday, for the first time since April 17th.

Comment

Balders, do you know why "your" US case figure (presumably from Hopkins) is about 4K higher than that reported by the COVID Tracking Project (see my post about six above yours)?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                      Balders, do you know why "your" US case figure (presumably from Hopkins) is about 4K higher than that reported by the COVID Tracking Project (see my post about six above yours)?
                      I'm not 100% sure. I think it might be to do with where the 24 hours are sliced. Worldometer is using GMT, whereas I suspect the Covid tracking project is using EST or something similar.

Comment

Ta

I thought it was likely something like that. The Tracking Project usually reports around 19h00 New York time.

Comment

Yesterday Europe was 75 cases shy of reporting 300,000 new cases in one day. Which is roughly how many cases were being reported globally a month or two ago.

Comment

Andorra has reached 60,000+ cases per million population, or more than 6% of the population confirmed to have been infected with Covid-19, the highest percentage in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              Ta

I thought it was likely something like that. The Tracking Project usually reports around 19h00 New York time.
                              A report I saw (don't recall where now) described it as "passed 100k cases reported in a 24-hour period for the first time".

Comment

I think Xmas is another bread and circuses thing, as with football.

Comment

4 confirmed cases in our school but it's all OK as they happened in half term so nobody was infected in school.

That's the gist of the email we've just received.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post

A report I saw (don't recall where now) described it as "passed 100k cases reported in a 24-hour period for the first time".
                                    Perhaps today's Reuters report, which has a figure between that of the Tracking Project and Worldometer

Comment

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1322527556126605313

Comment

https://twitter.com/abiwilks/status/1322567879007571971?s=21

Comment

The head of the Police Federation of England and Wales even tweeted (ironically enough) that the Government should stop briefing this way as it is making their job harder. But OTOH, how are Ministers in charge of this supposed to find out what they are doing if not from Cummings bagmen?

Comment

Peston really is a dreadful Tory stooge.

He went into quite a bit of detail, it would be interesting to see if he got anything wrong. I presume not as it was dictated word for word to him.
                                            Last edited by Mr Beast; 31-10-2020, 16:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Beast View Post
                                              Peston really is a dreadful Tory stooge.

He went into quite a bit of detail, it would be interesting to see if he got anything wrong. I presume not as it was dictated word for word to him.
                                              They are operating his Twitter account, no need for dictation at all.

Has Laura K been silenced?

Comment

Month-long lockdown in England ahoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                                  It'll all be over by Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                                    It isn't a national lockdown. They have said, repeatedly, that it isn't a national lockdown.

It is a "putting the country into Tier 4".

Comment

Working...
                                                    X