Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    Is that a less deadly strain?
    The current death rates possibly suggest this or did the most vulnerable get killed off in the first wave?

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

The current death rates possibly suggest this or did the most vulnerable get killed off in the first wave?
      I think a better job is being done of keeping it out of care homes. For example, patients aren't being discharged into care homes without being tested for covid. Also we are doing thousands more tests. We are having more daily positive results in Wales than we were actually running tests in March so the death rate is tiny compared to the tests being done and the tests returning positive. I'd like to say that infection control has got better in hospitals but yesterday I read that the rise in hospitalised covid cases was attributable to in-hospital infection.

Covid deaths have gone up in Wales the last couple of days from single digits to about 30. We are on about a two week lag from the spike in infections so it seems to correlate along the same pattern as last time. We'll have to wait and see if the death rates get as high this time.

Comment

Armenia now has more cases than China and 1,300 deaths.

Comment

France has reported 283,726 cases in the last week. If those were the only cases it had reported in the whole pandemic, that would still place France in the top 30 in terms of countries with most confirmed cases of Covid-19, ahead of Romania.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

This suggests that they don't really know what it does.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02544-6

Comment

11 deaths in Wales today but over 1700 positive tests.

Comment

This paper estimates that 8-17% of new cases in the UK in August were a direct result of "eat out to help out"
                https://twitter.com/fetzert/status/1322078576133525504

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                  This paper estimates that 8-17% of new cases in the UK in August were a direct result of "eat out to help out"
                  https://twitter.com/fetzert/status/1322078576133525504
                  And the Treasury are rejecting the findings...
                  https://www.theguardian.com/business...-rise-in-covid

Following the science...

Comment

772 cases and 6 deaths, ICU up 1 to 42. Dr. Tony says he can't say if it has peaked adding to the many things he doesn't know.

Comment

In case anyone wonders why I get hacked off at the denialist twaddle/ comparisons to flu/ "died with" hairsplitting and so on

https://twitter.com/NursingNotesUK/status/1322115825357172736?s=19

Comment

With the global death toll at 1.19 million+, more people have now died from Covid-19 this year than people who died due to tuberculosis in 2017 (1.18 million).

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

I think a better job is being done of keeping it out of care homes. For example, patients aren't being discharged into care homes without being tested for covid. Also we are doing thousands more tests. We are having more daily positive results in Wales than we were actually running tests in March so the death rate is tiny compared to the tests being done and the tests returning positive. I'd like to say that infection control has got better in hospitals but yesterday I read that the rise in hospitalised covid cases was attributable to in-hospital infection.

Covid deaths have gone up in Wales the last couple of days from single digits to about 30. We are on about a two week lag from the spike in infections so it seems to correlate along the same pattern as last time. We'll have to wait and see if the death rates get as high this time.
                          This is pretty much the experience in ireland as well. We sent loads of asymptomatic old people out into carehomes in the absence of tests. An absence of PPE and poor design, and all the fucking problems that we had ignored in nursing homes over the years .... lead to it running rampant. and this is where most of our deaths came from. The median age of death was 83. There was a small fraction of the number of tests being carried out that there are now, until quite late in the first wave.

It will be interesting to see how this maps out this time, and if the assorted changes that have been made behind the scenes lead to substantial improvements. So far the signs are good. Infection rates seem to have peaked last week and have come down substantially and the R number is at 1, but as they keep pointing out, every hospital system is at best only a couple of bad weeks away from being overwhelmed, and there's a long way to go. and given the trajectory of the rest of europe any improvement might only be temporary. But this is an iterative process, all we can really hope for is signs that we learned from the last time, and that this leads to improvements, and we learn from where we fucked up this time, as we inevitably will, because that's just how complex systems work, so we're better prepared for the inevitable third wave.

This is why I'm very sceptical about people looking at the examples of how China, japan and south korea are doing with this. This is their third airborne respiratorydisease outbreak in the last decade, and they've had to think long and hard about dealing with these things, and it's worth noting that the main thing that south korea learned from their second such outbreak was that a lot of the things they had done to prepare for it were completely ineffective. So this time around they were much more ready and better able to deal with it. It's not so much a cultural thing as a practice thing. I think it may also be a being able to seal your borders thing to a certain extent as well.

One thing that is sure and for certain though, the better the irish govt does at limiting the scale of this disaster, the louder will be the screams that the steps taken were unnecessary and pointlessly harsh. The level of rage on social media, largely driven by dirty Provo scummers would have you believe that we had Northern Ireland's infection rate

Comment

545 deaths in France today. 2,057 deaths in France in the last week.

Comment

Third day in a row of more than 500,000 new cases daily worldwide.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1322294630906503171

Comment

Schools to stay open, all education settings to stay open, this is no lockdown.

France have made mask wearing in schools compulsory for the over 6s. We're still fucking about with making them compulsory and enforcing this.

Comment

Government by briefing

https://twitter.com/SophyRidgeSky/status/1322300519856115724?s=20

Comment

https://twitter.com/martin_oneill/status/1322315621812588545?s=20

Comment

https://twitter.com/COVID19Tracking/status/1322315688116019200

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                          "it was the only way to save Christmas" - cancel the fucking thing for one year, ffs.

Comment

Who are the dirty Provo scum era, Berba? I'm seeing the gammon and BizNews tendency getting to air their grievances in the Irish Times (fucking evil McDowell, that Mark Paul cunt, the cunt herd immunity fan Doctor, also the fucking Trust accepting that fucking ad) to an alarming degree that makes me think someone on the Trust is a Mask Sceptic, but I haven't been trawling Provo Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

"it was the only way to save Christmas" - cancel the fucking thing for one year, ffs.
                                              Saving Christmas will be driving all the lockdowns around Europe almost as much as ICU capacity. I fear we'll mostly be back half locked down mid January. Traffic through the main st here in Dublin's edgelands today suggests most fuckers aren't listening to the essential journeys only advice, let alone the 5km travel "limit", was busier than a normal Friday. And unlike March/April no performative ineffectual roadblocks by the useless Gards either. A fucking traffic jam outside the copshop this avo, guess there were bacon rolls to be eaten. Probably bought them in Spar with their masks under their fuckin noses as well.
                                              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 31-10-2020, 00:14.

Comment

Loving Ralph Biden's jumper. Hopefully the Times thought to ask him where he got it from, among their other inane questions.

Comment

I'm expecting all the gammon Tories who have been screaming at the Welsh Government for killing the economy with its lockdown suddenly becoming very pro-lockdown and supportive of measures to control the virus and encouraging everyone to do the right thing.

Comment

head of the Wellcome Trust and member of SAGE

https://twitter.com/JeremyFarrar/status/1322247432080601090?s=20

Comment

Working...
                                                    X