No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a similar vein, Monbiot in the Guardian reveals that Serco's "expert clinicians" doing the contact tracing are minimum wage teenagers:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...race-teenagers

Comment

Fuck. 37 deaths reported in Wales today. That's one of the highest numbers ever. It's the 2 week lag on the case spike.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
        Fuck. 37 deaths reported in Wales today. That's one of the highest numbers ever. It's the 2 week lag on the case spike.
        Are they all from yesterday or are there also some from previous days?

Comment

A hint of good news is that there were fewer new cases reported in the UK today than last Wednesday, which is the first week-on-week dip since mid-August (technically there was another one a few weeks ago but that was following that mammoth Excel backlog) - hopefully not just a blip.

Comment

An interesting article about how one man thinks the advice from Sage has gone wrong. It's a bit of a read but worth getting through:

Comment

There's some really dodgy stuff on that homepage, Paul.

Comment

Google Dr Mike Yeadon instead then the story is covered elsewhere as well.

Comment

1,517 deaths in the UK in the last week. 300+ per day for the last two days.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                    Google Dr Mike Yeadon instead then the story is covered elsewhere as well.
                    I did and one of the top hits is an audio blog interview with Climate Denier and general anti-science wanker, James Delingpole. Without wanting to go all ad hominem on this (and having managed to listen to only a few minutes without gagging) I'd say you can tell a lot about a man by the company he keeps.

Edit - Yeadon, not Paul, obvs!
                    Last edited by ChrisJ; 28-10-2020, 18:47.

Comment

What are the 2 errors? (For those of us who don't want to visit conservative woman)

Comment

Anyone going to volunteer to be an unpaid covid marshall on a zero hour contract then?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                          An interesting article about how one man thinks the advice from Sage has gone wrong. It's a bit of a read but worth getting through:
                          I notice that the final paragraph of the article opens with the words "I am not an epidemiologist. I’m not a mathematician".

Perhaps my friend with a doctorate n history could offer an article, as he's worth listening to with a tale or two, or there's my other friend who's a professor (of French). If they aren't enough there's another lad I went to uni with, he has a doctorate in Sports Science and that's a science based subject. They're are all doctors. they can write words, and look at graphs. No problem.
                          Last edited by Kowalski; 28-10-2020, 19:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                            What are the 2 errors? (For those of us who don't want to visit conservative woman)
                            So that others don't have to...
                            • Error 1: Assuming that 100% of the population was susceptible to the virus and that no pre-existing immunity existed.
                            • Error 2: The belief that the percentage of the population that has been infected can be determined by surveying what fraction of the population has antibodies.
                            According to Yeadon, "more likely [than a very high number of new deaths occurring] is that the susceptible population is now sufficiently depleted (now 28%) and the immune population sufficiently large that there will not be another large, national scale outbreak of COVID-19."

Of course, that was published on 17 October and presumably written before both that date and the 300 new deaths per day we've been seeing. So maybe more depletion to come?

Scanning around that site I'd say that it makes the Spectator look rational, reasoned and compassionate.

Comment

Macron announces a second lockdown until December 1st, which oddly enough is when the Irish one is due to end.

Comment

Thanks Chris

That first error isn't an error though. That's just being risk-averse in the face of an unknown virus.

Sounds like poorly timed wishism.

Comment

You can discover those two potential errors, amongst others. in MD's Private Eye Columns on a fortnightly basis. I'm certainly no expert in anything scientific or medical but I'm surprised that anyone can say with any certainty that X leads to Y whilst a novel situation is developing. In Private Eye the other week MD stated that researchers have discovered that Covid doesn't react like the other types of SARS so the effects are slightly different, then there's yesterday's story about Covid antibodies only remaining in your system for a couple of months,

It's disheartening to say the least when I see people I know, or even friends of friends, continue to share their pet theories about our situation. There was protest by the bandstand on Llandudno prom on Sunday afternoon and I had a look at the Facebook comments. There were photos of people holding "muzzling freedom" & "1984" placards, someone I vaguely knew shared his pet theory about it all being a conspiracy, then someone else proudly told us that masks caused increased CO2 concentration in your blood etc et, then told any naysayers that they were "online bullies".

I know people are looking for answers and trying to retain a sense of hope but this rubbish is getting really tiresome, and then I keep forgetting to take my mask with me.
                                  Last edited by Kowalski; 28-10-2020, 20:18.

Comment

Our health district is estimating 4% of the population as Covid positive. It's very worrying.

Comment

625 cases in Ireland, down roughly 100 on yesterday and half of last week's average. 6 deaths though, including a 19 year old. Otherwise it's swings and roundabouts as well, 50 less people in general hospital population but 3 more in ICU, up to 41.

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
                                        You can discover those two potential errors, amongst others. in MD's Private Eye Columns on a fortnightly basis. I'm certainly no expert in anything scientific or medical but I'm surprised that anyone can say with any certainty that X leads to Y whilst a novel situation is developing. In Private Eye the other week MD stated that researchers have discovered that Covid doesn't react like the other types of SARS so the effects are slightly different, then there's yesterday's story about Covid antibodies only remaining in your system for a couple of months,

It's disheartening to say the least when I see people I know, or even friends of friends, continue to share their pet theories about our situation. There was protest by the bandstand on Llandudno prom on Sunday afternoon and I had a look at the Facebook comments. There were photos of people holding "muzzling freedom" & "1984" placards, someone I vaguely knew shared his pet theory about it all being a conspiracy, then someone else proudly told us that masks caused increased CO2 concentration in your blood etc et, then told any naysayers that they were "online bullies".

I know people are looking for answers and trying to retain a sense of hope but this rubbish is getting really tiresome, and then I keep forgetting to take my mask with me.
                                        Tell me about it, I have not dared talk to my ex for months after having to listen for 3 hours of plandemic/hoax nonsense. She is far from being thick either but she he has gobbled up that stuff and there is no turning back...

Comment

On the ITV News at Ten Robert Peston leads in to some disturbing Government worst case estimates with "The Spectator has obtained..." I can't tell you the details as I stopped listening. Fuck the lot of them and their silly games and god help the rest of us.

Comment

If anyone was worried that the three-tier system in England was a little too straight-forward, it would appear that Bristol are now in "Tier 1 plus" and Nottingham in "Tier 3 plus", while some West Midlands councils are working on a "Tier 2 plus" proposal.

Comment

Eyebrows were raised at a hundred million pound public health contract being awarded to Record Collector magazine.

Comment

VG++ joke

Comment

https://twitter.com/tobyontv/status/1321584489341079556?s=21

Comment

The world sees over half-a-million confirmed cases in one day for the first time.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X