No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's now 17:21 in north Wales, after a short consultation period we've decided to start getting tea ready.

At approximately 17:50 we will watch the first episode of the fourth series of Line of Duty.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
      I wonder how the last hour before complete lockdown (at 6pm tonight) will go in Wales. I put BBC news on expecting some reporting from Cardiff but nothing so far. Has it driven everyone out for one last hurrah in the pubs?
      I was actually in the city centre at about 4.30pm. It felt very last days, with shops closing early. Some pubs hadn't bothered opening at all. There were lots of small groups of teenagers, obviously out with their mates for the last time before 2 weeks of not being allowed to hang out with their friends.

Comment

It's now 19:21 in north Wales, we quite enjoyed the first episode of the fourth series of Line of Duty, now waiting for Van der Valk at 9pm on Talking Pictures TV and trying to decide on walking route for tomorrow morning, looks like rain, may start walk at 7am to avoid getting wet.

On a more serious note, I don't suppose this lockdown will feel much different to the last one, or the last 7 months for that matter.

My last football match was played on March 7th, my favourite pub in Rhyl has closed. aside from seeing my sister 4 times, I haven't seen anyone outside of work, my neighbours or my wife's family and I've been to my hometown 5 times, for a precise total of ten hours, and one of the "trips" involved an antibodies test.

On the other hand I've watched Toast of London, the first three series of Gomorrah and Line of Duty, saved Poundssssssss with home haircuts and finally, la creme del la menthe, last night I did discover a method of not steaming my glasses whilst wearing a face covering.
        Last edited by Kowalski; 23-10-2020, 19:44.

Comment

The local shopping centre seems to be ignoring Level 5 restricting retail to Level 5. While Tesco closed their homeware and clothing upstairs, fucking carphone warehouse, dodgy mobile repair shop, euro shop and world's worst bookshop Easons(!) were all brazenly trading. Guess this isn't a what happens when you enter a lockdown but don't have enforcement measures in place till next week. Genius club.

Comment

Slovakia's plan to give antigen tests to its entire population started yesterday. The first wave of tests was carried out in the badly-affected Orava region of northern Slovakia (much of which borders Poland). Nearly 62,000 people were tested, with 2,225 returning positive results.

The rest of the country is to be tested over this and the following two weekends. People still awaiting tests are under fairly strict rules, which will be eased slightly if and when they are able to give evidence of a negative result.

I haven't yet read any in depth of what the politicians, analysts etc have to say about the results so far. Considering how serious the situation in Orava was thought to be, the verdict might be 'could have been worse'. On the other hand, the PM is having to remind everyone that this test only indicates whether a person is currently infectious, not whether they have the virus or not.

Comment

Lots of bad press and social media outrage over supermarkets being restricted in what they can sell during the fire break. The Welsh Conservatives making a lot out of "Labour's power trip". But the Welsh Government would have been slammed either way. If they hadn't restricted supermarkets then there would have been all these rows about how unfair it is that you can't go to a record shop but you can buy a CD in a supermarket or clothes, toys etc.

Still it feels like a misstep and hasn't helped the mood.

Comment

Same over here, small retailers are up in arms over ALDI having a toy sale while they have to stay closed. Bookshop chain Easons are the same. They are allowed to stay open because they sell newspapers, while small independent bookshops have to close.

Comment

One thing that's blowing my mind - nearly 10 months in - is the number of people who continue to think that wearing masks in public aren't good 'because they don't stop you from getting it'.
                  It isn't one or two, they're legion.
                  Just, stay vigilant is what I'm saying, I guess.

Comment

An exemption that the government included in the rules to allow freelancers to work over lunch is being exploited by high-end restaurants encouraging up to 30 people to dine together as long as “the topic is business”.
                    Sadly the people they will be damaging are the waiters, kitchen staff and cleaners

Comment

"Mask-dodging c*nt of the week" goes to a lawyer called Louis Stead who claimed to be exempt from masking up on a plane on medical grounds. He was travelling back to the UK from a scuba-diving holiday. Scuba-diving. But apparently can't wear a mask. Happily his fellow passengers made their collective feelings known and he had to wear one on pain of being kicked off the plane. Apparently he's a self-promoting twat with a history of c*ntery of various other kinds. Apart from the Daily Heil and similar, the story is reported on the frivolous UK lawyer news and gossip website rollonfriday.

Comment

As I've mentioned our head has relented and made mask wearing by staff compulsory in communal areas, it's the same for students. I doubt it'll be enforced as I've already seen staff not wearing them, I've had a word with a few I'm friendly with and ignored those I'm not. It's not worth the hassle of dealing with ignorance.

However children are still banned from wearing masks in the classroom, teachers are still telling them to take them off. If parents come in, hold a meeting, and agree a care plan then they'll be allowed to wear them in the classroom.

I shit you not. This is the policy.

Comment

I'm slowly noticing more people wearing masks in the local supermarkets, there are still those that don't and those that have them over there mouth but not there nose.

The pattern I've noticed is that if a person uses the Costa machine they are much more likely not to be wearing a mask.

Comment

Well, the lowest daily increase in California for a while post that I made 5 days ago really didn't age well, as yesterday we reported almost 6,000 new ones, the highest since August.
                            We've now more than compensated for the two low days earlier in the week.

Comment

16 deaths reported in Wales today. 1,400 cases.

A colleague I'm friends with on Facebook is updating regularly about her symptoms. 2 weeks in and she is experiencing all kinds of mad shit that sounds like nerve damage more than anything else.

Without the fire break, the extrapolation was more ICU cases at the end of November than we had back in April. If that's true then the situation in England might get very shitty indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                Same over here, small retailers are up in arms over ALDI having a toy sale while they have to stay closed. Bookshop chain Easons are the same. They are allowed to stay open because they sell newspapers, while small independent bookshops have to close.
                                Damned either way. The Welsh Government were going to be either "power mad" or "destroying small businesses" by the political point scorer Tory scum and their awful media machine.

Comment

Someone in my step-daughter's year group (year 9) has tested positive. Even though the entire year is a bubble, apparently only those who have been in "close contact" will have to self-isolate. This apparently is *not* even the full set of people who have shared a classroom with this child. (Highly suspect decision given how easily it spreads indoors.) And what exactly is the point of a "bubble" if you don't treat it as an all-or-nothing group?

Bloody hell. Thank goodness it's half-term, so they'll be away from school for 10 days anyway.
                                  Last edited by Jimski; 24-10-2020, 16:55.

Comment

857 cases in Ireland today. Second day in a row that the numbers are below 1,000. 4 deaths however, which is a worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
                                      Someone in my step-daughter's year group (year 9) has tested positive. Even though the entire year is a bubble, apparently only those who have been in "close contact" will have to self-isolate. This apparently is *not* even the full set of people who have shared a classroom with this child. (Highly suspect decision given how easily it spreads indoors.) And what exactly is the point of a "bubble" if you don't treat it as an all-or-nothing group?

Bloody hell. Thank goodness it's half-term, so they'll be away from school for 10 days anyway.
                                      This is why we suspect we had to submit seating plans to our line managers as they had never been requested before.

Despite being told not to we've also been holding year group assemblies.

Comment

BBC radio 5 news earlier led with 26000 people signing a petition demanding to be able to buy whatever they want in supermarkets in Wales. This has been a PR cock up by Welsh Government. (The BBC taking the Tory spin, of course)

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                          26000 people signing a petition demanding to be able to buy whatever they want in supermarkets in Wales
                                          Tragic.

Comment

"Largest COVID-19 contact tracing study to date finds children key to spread"

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2020/...pread-evidence

Comment

Trump's Chief of Staff

https://twitter.com/ToluseO/status/1320352247759441920

Comment

Le sigh.

Comment

24th September:
                                                  Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                                                  San Mateo County continues with the next step in the dance of death as it's moved up into the "red" tier, "This means restaurants, shopping centers, museums, places of worship, movie theaters and gyms can open indoors with limited capacity".
                                                  "Hallelujah, we are out of the purple and into the red," San Mateo County Supervisor David Canepa said in a statement. "Now we can eat indoors again, go see a movie and get some exercise at the gym."
                                                  So we'll be back in the "purple" (or completely fucked) tier again in a month.
                                                  Not coincidentally I got texts yesterday from both my and my kids' dentists reminding me hat we were overdue for our teeth cleanings.
                                                  If anyone's interested, we've had 400 new cases in the past week, or 52/100,000 population.
                                                  Cases here have worryingly started creeping up again over the past 10 days - last week around 250/week, up to 332 in the past 7 days.
                                                  It's too soon to say if this is just noise, though given the timing relative to the easing of restrictions I'm concerned.

Comment

A more hopeful conclusion from that paper is the following:

Our analysis suggests substantial variation in individuals’ likelihood of transmitting: no secondary infections were linked to 71% of cases whose contacts were traced and tested.
                                                    So the majority of infected people actually do not spread the disease any further. It would be interesting to find out why.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X