Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    The "fire break" in Wales may prevent I'm a Celebrity from being filmed.
    Every cloud ...

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
      KLF earworm
      Not really the place for this moan, but it's always annoyed me that Scarborough is the northernest place mentioned in that song. It's grim halfway up North, more like.

Comment

Aha, my former colleague wrote a paper on that. https://aip.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1063/5.0008834

His conclusion: Linear regression extrapolations based on log data are a mess. The R values are meaningless.

Comment

Perhaps he should send it to Professor van Schaik

can we agree on this, anyway?

https://twitter.com/malorieblackman/status/1318618195595583490?s=21

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
            Not really the place for this moan, but it's always annoyed me that Scarborough is the northernest place mentioned in that song. It's grim halfway up North, more like.
            At least it has made me realise that Barrow is further south than Scarborough - in the unlikely event of having to bet on it I would have had it the other way round.

Comment

Some big numbers announced by the FM of Scotland today:

1739 people test positive for Covid-19 in last 24 hours in Scotland,19.8% of those tested. This takes the total number of positive cases in Scotland since the beginning of the pandemic to 50,903.
              873 people in hospital with a confirmed case (+49), 73 being treated in intensive care (+3).
              28 deaths recorded in the last 24 hours. That is the highest number of deaths in a single day since 21st May.

Todays numbers in the central belt -
              Greater Glasgow & Clyde: 605
              Lanarkshire: 520
              Lothian: 250
              Ayrshire and Arran: 105

As a result, the current hospitality restrictions in Scotland (particularly strict in the central belt where pubs and restaurants are closed) are to be extended for a further week until 2nd November.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                Perhaps he should send it to Professor van Schaik
                His conclusions at the time were actually that things could be *worse* than conservative models were predicting.

But in any case, his main point is that extrapolating log data is sketchy.

Comment

Netherlands has exceeded 250,000 cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

At least it has made me realise that Barrow is further south than Scarborough - in the unlikely event of having to bet on it I would have had it the other way round.
                    In the same way that Liverpool is further east than Edinburgh.

Comment

Hungary has exceeded 50,000 cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post

Huh, so it is. I must have a mental image of Britain lying on a North-South axis where it's actually leaning a bit towards the NW-SE.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                          California had fewer than 2,000 reported cases yesterday, the first time since May 27.
                          Well that didn't last long, two days later and back over 4,000 yesterday for the first time since September 25th.

Comment

Originally posted by The Red Max View Post
                            19.8% of those tested
                            Yiiikes

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                              I'm usually more aware of these ones (Cardiff is further east than Edinburgh as well) - in this case it was more my mistaken picturing of Scarborough being "just across from York" rather than a fairly clear north-east, even though I did the drive quite recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                Yiiikes
                                21% in Switzerland on Monday...

Comment

1,167 cases in Ireland and 3 deaths, intensive care is stable at 34 cases. Dublin city centre was like Christmas eve as full lockdown starts again tomorrow. We've been told that we have to wear masks everywhere except at our desk, even crossing the floor to make a cup of tea. TBH, it's becoming clearer that the politicians and experts don't have a clue how to stop this, apart from a vaccine.

Comment

They had four months to get the tracking and tracing up to scratch, and even now the Irish Times are reporting that 1,000 cases are being asked to do their own contact tracing by text, which doesn't augur well for 2021.

Comment

26,688 new cases in the UK today. Unless they do a full lockdown, these numbers are only going to increase. Even if they did a full lockdown, numbers would likely increase for the next week or two because of the lag between infection and onset of symptoms.

Comment

2,251 new cases in Canada yesterday, 16 deaths. BC had 167 new cases, and one death over the same period. Things seem to leveling off at the moment but that of course could change very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                          1,167 cases in Ireland and 3 deaths, intensive care is stable at 34 cases. Dublin city centre was like Christmas eve as full lockdown starts again tomorrow. We've been told that we have to wear masks everywhere except at our desk, even crossing the floor to make a cup of tea. TBH, it's becoming clearer that the politicians and experts don't have a clue how to stop this, apart from a vaccine.
                                          Wear a mask at your desk too if they won't let you wfh, unless your office is one of the few outside the shiny empty blocks built for tech or finance brexit refugees with modern ventilation that doesn't recycle heated air around the building.

Comment

There are ways to mitigate this if not stop it, but the lessons of South Korea or even Japan are too "instructable" for our short term bollocks Open The Schools politicians and the useless bastards running the HSE who've ignored public health funding for decades.

Comment

191 deaths in the UK today.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post

21% in Switzerland on Monday...
                                                Czechia is running at 26%+ I think.

Comment

Even Covid has become the fault of themmuns:

https://twitter.com/SJAMcBride/status/1318901463222018048

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                                    26,688 new cases in the UK today.
                                                    Despite the UK government's claims to the contrary, it looks like there have been problems with capacity at the Glasgow Lighthouse lab so the number of positive cases for Scotland, North East England and Cumbria collapsed over the weekend (much more so than on a normal weekend, and that huge dip didn't happen in other regions) then suddenly shot back up over the last couple of days, presumably when a backlog of tests were processed. Which might partly explains today's jump.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X