No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We booked a flu shot yesterday. Or rather we're on the list for them. Apparently the phone's been ringing off the hook and pharmacies haven't even received their supplies yet.

Comment

Kids got theirs, I haven't got one yet as I wasn't going to do that while I was on antibiotics. Now I'm off those I'll need to get mine done.

Comment

India is the second country to exceed 7 million cases.

Comment

Brazil is the second country to exceed 150,000 deaths.

Comment

Nearly 27,000 new cases recorded in France today, bringing France's total number of cases to over 700,000, the tenth country to reach that milestone.

Comment

Yesterday Europe recorded 110,000+ new cases, more than any other continent.

Comment

Romania has exceeded 150,000 cases and reported 5,358 deaths.

Comment

Portugal has now reported more cases than China and 2,000+ deaths.

Comment

France has exceeded 500 deaths per million population.

Comment

Colombia is the 5th country to exceed 900,000 cases and has recorded 27,660 deaths.

Comment

I got my flu vaccine (free through work) last week, though I now feel a little guilty as apparently there are major shortages. Our kids can't have theirs at school until December, reportedly because of supply problems.

Comment

Iraq is the 15th country to exceed 400,000 cases and has recorded 9,790 deaths.

Comment

I got my flu vaccine a couple of weeks ago. But it was my third attempt because they were out of stock the first time and the pharmacy shut for unstated, might have been covid, reasons the second time.

Comment

Another 15,000+ new cases in the UK yesterday, meaning there have been 95,848 new cases in the last week.

I've seen studies that suggest up to a third of people who are not hospitalised with Covid-19 still have lingering, and often debilitating, symptoms six months later. This is going to massively increase the number of people who are off work sick for extended periods of time.

Comment

Iran is the 13th country to officially exceed 500,000 cases and has reported 28,544 deaths though both cases and deaths are believed to be significantly higher in reality.

Comment

Poland has exceeded 125,000 cases and 3,000 deaths.

Comment

The four worst affected countries in terms of total numbers of deaths, USA, Brazil, India and Mexico, account for more than half the total deaths from Covid-19.

Comment

The ten worst affected countries account for more than three quarters of total deaths from Covid-19.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...droidApp_Other

Country at tipping point, look at the graph and you can see we're way past that point.

Comment

Another nearly 13,000 new cases in the UK today, means the UK is the 12th country to exceed 600,000 cases.

Comment

And that means that the UK has reported over 100,000 new cases in the last week. 100,739 to be exact.

Comment

Slightly alarming, this, though potency might be much reduced, I suppose: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54500673

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                                                Unfortunately I'm not seeing any reason why the UK's not turning into a covid disaster zone again.
                                                If I could write that on September 5th, you'd think someone with actual expertise or authority might have noticed in the last 5 weeks (or longer, really) that things weren't going well, and to say now that the UK's at the "tipping point" is utterly ridiculous.
                                                Some fine British evasion from calling someone a total idiot by Professor Martin McKee midway through that Guardian article there.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                                  https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...droidApp_Other

Country at tipping point, look at the graph and you can see we're way past that point.
                                                  The Financial Times had this not-at-all alarming graph of hospital occupancy yesterday:

Comment

I have been wondering over these past few days what has happened to the Nightingale hospitals.

Just found this article from a few days ago. Seems that they can be called into action fairly quickly.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...gale-hospitals
                                                    Last edited by Jon; 11-10-2020, 20:03.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X