No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nunavut still has yet to record a single case (there was a false positive about three months ago.) It helps, of course, that only 38,780 people live in almost two million sq kms. Nevertheless by slapping a two week quarantine on anyone entering the territory they've done the job.

Comment

The thing about quarantines is that they are different things in different places. The Bergamo quarantine that Jimski refers to on the previous thread, which is actually policed and matches what I understand to be done very effectively in Taiwan is very, very different to the hypothetical 14 day quarantine I was under when I moved to Massachusetts. In Taiwan it's even stricter because you have a GPS tracking app on your phone and the authorities know if you've left your place of quarantine (they also call your phone from time to time to check), as well as police occasionally visiting you.

With proper enforcement, you'll obey the quarantine and the quarantine will work.

It took us 4 days from arriving in Massachusetts to even know there was a quarantine in place (or neg-test), and it was entirely self-policed (or rather not self-policed because we'd already been to get groceries and already had delivery men in our house). There are clearly not specific quarantining hotels, or checks, or any of the things that would actually be needed to have it all work. If you can do what the hell you like during quarantine like we could, or have it defined so vaguely that "essential" trips like going for groceries or going for a drive to check your eyesight are permitted, then it's a pretty useless concept.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
        The thing about quarantines is that they are different things in different places.
        Yes, and I've no idea exactly what the Nunuvut process entails (though one woman I heard interviewed said it deterred her from leaving the territory.)

This, by David Frum, records his experience entering Canada from the US.

When I entered Canada, the single official I encountered wore a high-quality face mask. She asked me to lower my mask briefly so she could inspect my face, then probed with three questions: By what right did I enter Canada? (I was born there.) What was in the truck? (Personal effects.) And what was my plan for quarantine and self-isolation in Canada?

That last topic occupied probably six or seven minutes. She asked where I would stay, who else would be there, how I would get groceries and other necessities. She took my email address and phone number. The entire process—including the wait time for the one vehicle ahead of me when I halted—occupied approximately 15 minutes. Over the following two weeks, I would receive daily messages by text or robocall to confirm that I was complying with quarantine rules. Once, I received an in-person call. I don’t know that there was really any follow-up beyond these contacts, but they reminded me that I had given a promise and that somebody cared whether I honored that promise.

And his return trip:

On the return trip, I was halted at a checkpoint a couple of hundred yards before the inspector booth. I showed my U.S. passport, answered a question about residence, and rolled forward. None of the three officers at the checkpoint wore a mask.

The U.S. station was much larger and busier than the Canadian station, crowded with trucks, and much more heavily staffed. More than one lane was open, and it took me a minute to ascertain the correct one. The officer at the inspection booth also did not wear a mask. He told me to remove my mask and keep it off for as long as we talked. He asked as many questions as his Canadian counterpart, but his focus was very different. We talked in detail about the contents of the truck. Was I carrying marijuana? Cash? Weapons? He did not ask a single question about COVID-19 or quarantine. He then waved me forward to a secondary inspection, an electronic screening of the truck. A police car, its driver unmasked, led me to the station. Two officers there, again unmasked, explained how to drive my truck past an X-ray machine. Afterward, an eighth officer, unmasked like the others, asked me to step out of the cabin so he could look around. Then I was sent on my way. Total time elapsed: 50 minutes.

Comment

Over 16,000 new cases in France today.

Comment

Cardiff is on the brink of lockdown according to the BBC

Comment

A must watch musical message from Newport's finest band, Goldie Lookin' Chain

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...slade-18991666

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
                Any idea why the app is limited to over 16s? We were quite keen on the children having it on their phones too.
                Because if they come into contact with someone infected, they get a text to tell them. This would be very scary for a ten year old, just getting a bald statement from a stranger, rather than being told clearly and responsibly by an adult that they know, so it would not be good for their mental health.

That's just a guess, mind.

Comment

The current global death toll of 988,032 now exceeds the population of Djibouti.

Comment

Yesterday Europe reported more new cases than either North or South America.

Comment

Russia is the 12th country to report more than 20,000 deaths.

Comment

Just in case you thought your pandemic was challenging....

A friend of mine went to Nepal to visit friends in March. After she'd been there a couple of weeks, the country went into lockdown, and she was basically stuck staying with a friend (a very hospitable and understanding friend) in Kathmandu for 6 months. The airport was totally closed and there was basically no way of leaving the country. Some repatriation flights were put on for tourists, but her passport is Colombian and clearly there was no such option for Colombians. Her visa technically expired in June, but the government gave a visa amnesty for people stuck (this has happened all over the place, here in Romania too) . Finally the airport was opened up a couple of weeks ago, but the visa holiday was only valid up until mid August so everyone had to pay a top up fee of 3 USD per day from that date until they left (seems like a good earner). Her added problem was that as a Colombian passport holder there aren't that many countries for which you don't need a visa to enter, and of course you can't get a visa easily when the chances of leaving again are uncertain. Colombia is more or less closed, so she can;t go there (and anyway, she doesn't really have any reason to go there, she has no family there). Eventually last night she got on a plane to Istanbul, arriving this morning. She's allowed to stay 90 days in Turkey, which she will probably pretty much max out in the hope that at some stage in a couple of months the next place she'll be allowed to go to becomes obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
                          Any idea why the app is limited to over 16s? We were quite keen on the children having it on their phones too.
                          Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                          Because if they come into contact with someone infected, they get a text to tell them. This would be very scary for a ten year old, just getting a bald statement from a stranger, rather than being told clearly and responsibly by an adult that they know, so it would not be good for their mental health.That's just a guess, mind.
                          Possibly, but I think it's more likely to be due to GDPR/data privacy reasons. The rules are more stringent where children are concerned, and under GDPR a child under 16 can't consent to having their data shared (though I think that's been lowered to 13 in the UK)

Comment

My own Covid concern has ended today, my wife had to leave work on Wednesday, she had a cold but also developed a slight temp. Got tested yesterday and got result just now (a reminder she is NHS so test results can be checked a bit quicker on system...) a negative...

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
                              My own Covid concern has ended today, my wife had to leave work on Wednesday, she had a cold but also developed a slight temp. Got tested yesterday and got result just now (a reminder she is NHS so test results can be checked a bit quicker on system...) a negative...
                              Good news Y. Must be a weight off

Comment

Yep, had to let work know as I was in the office on Tuesday which caused a bit of anxiety...

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                  Just in case you thought your pandemic was challenging....

A friend of mine went to Nepal to visit friends in March. After she'd been there a couple of weeks, the country went into lockdown, and she was basically stuck staying with a friend (a very hospitable and understanding friend) in Kathmandu for 6 months. The airport was totally closed and there was basically no way of leaving the country. Some repatriation flights were put on for tourists, but her passport is Colombian and clearly there was no such option for Colombians. Her visa technically expired in June, but the government gave a visa amnesty for people stuck (this has happened all over the place, here in Romania too) . Finally the airport was opened up a couple of weeks ago, but the visa holiday was only valid up until mid August so everyone had to pay a top up fee of 3 USD per day from that date until they left (seems like a good earner). Her added problem was that as a Colombian passport holder there aren't that many countries for which you don't need a visa to enter, and of course you can't get a visa easily when the chances of leaving again are uncertain. Colombia is more or less closed, so she can;t go there (and anyway, she doesn't really have any reason to go there, she has no family there). Eventually last night she got on a plane to Istanbul, arriving this morning. She's allowed to stay 90 days in Turkey, which she will probably pretty much max out in the hope that at some stage in a couple of months the next place she'll be allowed to go to becomes obvious.

So, does she actually "live" somewhere or is she fairly nomadic?

Comment

It looks as though reported virus rates are an underestimate by a factor of about three: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/54296475

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                      Cardiff is on the brink of lockdown according to the BBC
                                      As are Swansea and Llanelli, which would seem particularly relevant to the new Pro14 season.

Comment

https://twitter.com/RBlackPA/status/1309193476949659648

Comment

Interesting to notice an increasing amount of Comms by supermarket and shops that wearing a mask will start to be more strictly enforced...

My employer has also introduced a rule similar to that of restaurants for masks in office, you got to wear one when not at your desk...not that many people will be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

So, does she actually "live" somewhere or is she fairly nomadic?
                                            She has a flat in France, in the Alps. But she travels a lot for work (mostly for the UN). She is not a resident of France (legally)

Comment

She has a flat in France, in the Alps. But she travels a lot for work (mostly for the UN). She is not a resident of France (legally)

Oh, OK. Why doesn't she just head to France now that she's out of Nepal, then?

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Oh, OK. Why doesn't she just head to France now that she's out of Nepal, then?
                                                Because they won;t let her in. The borders (as with many European countries) are not open to all nationalities at the moment

Comment

Because they won;t let her in. The borders (as with many European countries) are not open to all nationalities at the moment

Really. I didn't know that, not that I've been really keeping up with that side of things. I assumed that most countries would have some sort of quarantine system in place. I presume that your friend's non-resident status doesn't help when it comes to getting back into France.

Comment

Take it up with Priti Patel, you dickhead.

Edit: SW, not DR.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X