No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And Spain has another new high of 12,183 new cases today.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
      My one is an Imperial-Ipsos MORI-NHS joint venture, but it's looking for antibodies rather than the live virus.
      Ah fair enough, no you're right it's not the same one then. Mine is testing for antigens to check if people are currently infected. I saw your picture and wrongly put two and two together.

Comment

175 cases of Covid-19 confirmed in Scotland, including 80 in Greater Glasgow and Clyde area, 39 in Lanarkshire, 24 in Lothian and 12 in Ayrshire & Arran.
        There have been no new reported deaths of people with a positive test.
        Tougher restrictions on home visits have now been extended to Lanarkshire, which means the restrictions now cover more than 1.75 million people in the west of Scotland.

Just as the BBC announce that they will no longer be broadcasting the daily briefings by the Scottish Government, thanks in no small part to lobbying by the Scottish Conservatives and Scottish Labour's George Foulkes & Jackie Baillie that they were effectively SNP party political broadcasts.
        It's little wonder these sh*tebags are doing so badly in the polls.
        https://twitter.com/GeorgeFoulkes/status/1304094222870556672

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
          Ah fair enough, no you're right it's not the same one then. Mine is testing for antigens to check if people are currently infected. I saw your picture and wrongly put two and two together.

Have to say that I was a little surprised at how unpleasant the process was; in particular, I had no idea how strong the gag reflex from swabbing the tonsils would be. Only momentary though.

Comment

In other Covid news, as well as St. Mirrens 1st choice keeper being out of tomorrows game with Hibs, their 2nd choice keeper has now also tested positive, and due to the close proximity during training their 3rd choice keeper has been asked to self-isolate. At the moment the game is still ON, but surely the SPL can't make them play it?
            But don't we all love an outfield player taking the gloves?

Comment

Originally posted by The Red Max View Post
              175 cases of Covid-19 confirmed in Scotland, including 80 in Greater Glasgow and Clyde area, 39 in Lanarkshire, 24 in Lothian and 12 in Ayrshire & Arran.
              There have been no new reported deaths of people with a positive test.
              Tougher restrictions on home visits have now been extended to Lanarkshire, which means the restrictions now cover more than 1.75 million people in the west of Scotland.

Just as the BBC announce that they will no longer be broadcasting the daily briefings by the Scottish Government, thanks in no small part to lobbying by the Scottish Conservatives and Scottish Labour's George Foulkes & Jackie Baillie that they were effectively SNP party political broadcasts.
              It's little wonder these sh*tebags are doing so badly in the polls.
              https://twitter.com/GeorgeFoulkes/status/1304094222870556672

dirty SLab cunts. Everyone still in SLab is a flag waving dog whistling Unionist wank. Except Poor Richard Leonard I suppose.
              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 11-09-2020, 18:28.

Comment

Birmingham is going into lockdown.

Comment

If the new rules had been in place in 1976, our family would've permanently illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                    A record number of new cases and deaths in Argentina today. What the heck's going on Sam ? Argentina's initial response seemed to be tough and effective but something seems to have gone terribly wrong in the last couple of months or so.
                    Sorry, it's been a while (you asked this on the 24th August and I've only just seen it). But basically the initial lockdown was indeed tough and effective, but it went on absolutely fucking forever, and people got tired of it so that by the time we came out of it (sort of) in Buenos Aires it was because the authorities had to accept people weren't complying any more rather than because any decision had really been made. As I think I hinted before, it's felt all along as if the only plan was to try and hold on in a quasi-lockdown state until a vaccine becomes available. We still can't use public transport unless our job is considered essential, and while restaurants, cafes and bars have opened for outdoor service (spring is about to start of course, so that in itself won't be at all unpleasant for a little while, although fuck sitting outside in the sun when it's 40+ Celsius and 80% humidity come January) there's never been any hint of anything like a track and trace system, or, I'd say, any of the ramping up in testing capacity that was needed before starting to do stuff again. More tests are being done now than in April, but not by as great an order as in the UK for instance, and while hospital capacity is hanging on, occupancy is climbing. Also since your post above, the main problem area has stopped being the BA metro area, and there are now outbreaks in the provinces as well.

All in all, I still think the government's initial response was the right one, but the problem seems to be that they didn't have anything beyond that initial response. And not just through lack of imagination in their problem-solving, but through a seeming lack of even looking at what was being done (or, in the case of the UK, what was being claimed as being done) elsewhere.

It's a fucking good thing Macri isn't still in charge, though, because I honestly think that if he were we'd have gone through 10,000 deaths some time in April, rather than just the other day.

Comment

John McDonnell talking sense

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellMP/status/1304704133585305600?s=20

Comment

India hit 97,654 new cases yesterday, another new high. At this rate it is very likely that India will reach 100,000 new cases a day some point next week.

Comment

Colombia is the sixth country to reach over 700,000 cases and has recorded 22,500+ deaths.

Comment

With 9,406 new cases yesterday, France has overtaken the UK in terms of total number of cases. The UK has still recorded far more deaths though.

Comment

Panama is the 34th country to reach over 100,000 cases and has recorded 2,140 deaths.

Comment

310,678 new cases worldwide yesterday, a new high.

Comment

Europe has reached 4 million+ cases (the fourth continent to do so) and 212,000+ deaths (third worst death total for a continent behind North and South America).

Comment

My part of Dublin is one of the worst affected current areas in Ireland. I'm not complacent but it also includes the vast new housing estates on the west of the city, where I'd say a large amount of people the cases are coming from.

Comment

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...52701?mode=amp

and yet the denialist wanks are given the oxygen of publiciity.

Comment

In terms of deaths per million people, South America is rising grimly through the ranks. The UK used to have the 4th worst rate in the world behind Belgium (using suspected as well as confirmed cases), San Marino and Andorra (both skewed by tiny populations). There are now 5 South American countries that have a death rate worse than the UK: Peru, Chile, Bolivia, Brazil and Ecuador. Part of it is that the UK reclassified some of its previously recorded deaths as "not caused by Covid-19", but mostly it is things going badly in South America.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

Sorry, it's been a while (you asked this on the 24th August and I've only just seen it). But basically the initial lockdown was indeed tough and effective, but it went on absolutely fucking forever, and people got tired of it so that by the time we came out of it (sort of) in Buenos Aires it was because the authorities had to accept people weren't complying any more rather than because any decision had really been made. As I think I hinted before, it's felt all along as if the only plan was to try and hold on in a quasi-lockdown state until a vaccine becomes available. We still can't use public transport unless our job is considered essential, and while restaurants, cafes and bars have opened for outdoor service (spring is about to start of course, so that in itself won't be at all unpleasant for a little while, although fuck sitting outside in the sun when it's 40+ Celsius and 80% humidity come January) there's never been any hint of anything like a track and trace system, or, I'd say, any of the ramping up in testing capacity that was needed before starting to do stuff again. More tests are being done now than in April, but not by as great an order as in the UK for instance, and while hospital capacity is hanging on, occupancy is climbing. Also since your post above, the main problem area has stopped being the BA metro area, and there are now outbreaks in the provinces as well.

All in all, I still think the government's initial response was the right one, but the problem seems to be that they didn't have anything beyond that initial response. And not just through lack of imagination in their problem-solving, but through a seeming lack of even looking at what was being done (or, in the case of the UK, what was being claimed as being done) elsewhere.

It's a fucking good thing Macri isn't still in charge, though, because I honestly think that if he were we'd have gone through 10,000 deaths some time in April, rather than just the other day.

Thanks, Sam. Most illuminating.

Comment

South America is the third continent to reach 7 million+ cases and has reported over 225,000 deaths.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
                                              Just tried to register for a test for my son - no walk-through sites available. No drive-through sites available. No home test kits available.

World beating.
                                              Yep, pretty much the same here.

I'm 99.9% certain I don't have Covid-19 but I've just gotten over a bit of a cold (runny nose and sneezing) and have had a tickly cough for a few days so I thought I'd see if I could get tested but when I logged on there were no postal or walk in tests available although I was offered a drive through test in Edgbaston, I live in Loughborough, so that's over an hour away by car.

Considering the Covid hotspot of Leicester is about 15 miles away from me I'm amazed there's nowhere to get tested closer.

Comment

Another 3,497 new cases for the UK today. The BBC keeps trying to say that back at the peak of the pandemic there were many more untested cases, so this is nowhere near what the peak was like, but the number of people I know of who are struggling to get tests at the moment also suggests that current new cases are an underestimate.

Comment

Yeah, pretty sure my son just has a cold (sore throat isn't an "official" symptom, but is on the list of most commonly reported child symptoms according to the King's College Covid tracker). Would be good to be able to get a test just to be sure though. I even tried filling in the form with official symptoms to see if it made a difference. It didn't.

Comment

https://twitter.com/DrTomFrieden/status/1304820085735989253

Comment

Working...
                                                    X