No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Five deaths reported today in Wales - whether they actually occurred in the last 24 hours, or were historical cases, like Ireland last week, is another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
      As a climatic note, Texas isn't especially dry, and the Gulf Coast part is positively humid, so Houston, for example. Arizona, on the other hand, is.
      Indeed, I can confirm that south Texas is a place where serious crotchpot cooking is possible, to use Robin Williams parlance.

Comment

Arizona and Texas and Florida are horrible places at this time of year. Being indoors with AC is really your only choice. Arizona because of the insane heat; Texas and Florida because of the gruesome steamy humidity. But that means almost nobody is dining outdoors or exercising outdoors or, really, doing anything outdoors. I have a very strong suspicion that this is linked to the current outbreaks. It is also a reason that parts of California (central valley, and the Inland Empire counties around LA) are not controlling things too well.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
          Five deaths reported today in Wales - whether they actually occurred in the last 24 hours, or were historical cases, like Ireland last week, is another matter.
          Might be a reporting lag but it's an odd one.

60-70 cases in Wrexham Maelor Hospital. All visiting suspended. Might be a local lockdown coming. (All according to Twitter)

Comment

Ireland goes four days without any deaths, and only one reported in the last week - cases also thankfully down to 14 today.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
              Arizona and Texas and Florida are horrible places at this time of year. Being indoors with AC is really your only choice. Arizona because of the insane heat
              I was in Tucson many years ago in August and it didn't seem too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Might be a reporting lag but it's an odd one.

60-70 cases in Wrexham Maelor Hospital. All visiting suspended. Might be a local lockdown coming. (All according to Twitter)
                https://twitter.com/markhutchings1/status/1288514885085798409

Comment

I saw that tweet but I can't find where the health board said it was hospital acquired. They've released a statement saying there are 60-70 patients in the hospital but not that it's the source of the outbreak, that I can find.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

I was in Tucson many years ago in August and it didn't seem too bad.
                    You were probably lucky.

It is a dry heat that makes it more tolerable, but on Saturday (and for the week afterwards) the high is going to be 105F (41C) which is pretty fucking hot.

Tucson is at about 2000ft elevation that makes it less grim than Phoenix metro - where most Arizonans live. Phoenix is going to be 116F (47C) tomorrow and Friday. Those aren't really outdoor dining conditions.

Comment

Louie Gohmert has it

None more deserving

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

You were probably lucky.

It is a dry heat that makes it more tolerable, but on Saturday (and for the week afterwards) the high is going to be 105F (41C) which is pretty fucking hot.

Tucson is at about 2000ft elevation that makes it less grim than Phoenix metro - where most Arizonans live. Phoenix is going to be 116F (47C) tomorrow and Friday. Those aren't really outdoor dining conditions.
                        I was in Phoenix too. I think I'm just used to heat.

Comment

17 million cases globally. The last million took four days again, or maybe 3.5, hard to be exactly sure.

Comment

The current global death toll of 666,215 is higher than the populations of either Portland, Oregon or Oklahoma City.

Comment

Mexico is the 6th country to report more than 400,000 cases and has recorded nearly 45,000 deaths (4th highest death toll in the world for a country).

Comment

Only 13 people in hospital with Covid in the entire island of Ireland, cross border cooperation on this has been excellent from both sides.

Comment

There was an interesting segment on tonight's Newsnight about the timing of the lockdown in the UK and the now generally-accepted belief that it came a week or two later than it should, and could, have done.

The delay was substantially down to a fear of "behavioural fatigue," the expectation that people would only accept the restrictions for a relatively short period of time. However, the report failed to locate where such advice would have come from or indeed find any academic evidence to back it up. It seems to have been a "hunch" based on "commonsense," possibly from Chris Whitty.

It was also suggested, though I'm slightly less convinced by this, that by "following the science" as slavishly as it did, the Government may have unnecessarily tied its own hands, as the data was coming in slowly and quick decisions were sometimes needed but not provided.

Comment

In a rare concession to the government, it does appear that some countries’ residents have got behavioral fatigue very quickly.

Comment

Heh - yes!

I suppose that it was a reasonable assumption to make. But even at the time the evidence from elsewhere in Western Europe was that there was widespread compliance based upon an understanding of the seriousness of the challenge faced. It looks like some of the scientists underestimated the public's ability to accept the hardships and restrictions imposed.

Comment

Maybe they based it on how long top government advisors could follow restrictions.

Comment

723 new cases in Melbourne/Victoria today.

Obviously all new cases and deaths are terrible, but it's all the more sobering in those places which were so recently held up as "winning", and normalising daily life.

Comment

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1288713197369925632

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                              The delay was substantially down to a fear of "behavioural fatigue," the expectation that people would only accept the restrictions for a relatively short period of time. However, the report failed to locate where such advice would have come from or indeed find any academic evidence to back it up. It seems to have been a "hunch" based on "commonsense," possibly from Chris Whitty.
                                              It is a bit paradoxical, but perhaps the sooner you go into lock down, the sooner you get out of it. You stop the virus before it gets properly embedded in the community. New Zealand's experience would tend to bear this out. Go soon, go short; go late, go long.

Comment

It was most probably the “nudge “ unit. Also known as the ”talking bollocks with no real psychological basis or data” unit
                                                the person to read on the government is Psychologist Stephen Reicher who left the government SAGE team in disgust

Comment

290,459 new cases globally yesterday, another new high.

Comment

Brazil is pretty out of control. 2.5 million+ cases, 90,000+ deaths, and yesterday it had a new high of 70,000+ new cases in one day.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X