Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/jimmfelton/status/1264634124238716932?s=21

Comment

The UK still accounts for more than 10 percent of global Covid-19 deaths.

Comment

So sorry for you and your mam, Paul.

That Twitter video, I didn't catch on at first - I thought it was just people in the street calling him out, I didn't realise it was his bloody neighbours.

Might make Thursday's clap a bit socially awk.

Comment

Condolences Paul

Comment

Thanks for the comments, but I've posted on the dementia thread, let's keep this for covid 19 stuff.

It just makes me angry when I see the sacrifices people have made, staying in one bedroom flats or bedsits for 14 days with no-one for company and then political advisers can't do the same.

Comment

Western Super Mare hospital has had to stop admitting new patients. It is just over 2 weeks since VE Day where in my town people were sitting outside a (closed) pub squashed up together on picnic tables having a drink.

Comment

5.5 million cases globally now.

Comment

Susie Dent's word of the day.

[URL="https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1264821798115446785"]https://twitter.com/susie_dent/statu...21798115446785[/URL]

Comment

On a similar note, posted just after Johnson's press briefing ;

https://twitter.com/cliodiaspora/status/1264608916610134017?s=21

Comment

https://twitter.com/MaxCRoser/status/1264875321905434625?s=20

Comment

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1264961412927049729

Comment

I'm so happy with that. No complacency but just so happy to hear it.

Comment

That's really good news from Ireland.

Strangely Ireland's government still seems to think that not reopening their school until September is the most prudent course of action .

The UK's "government", with their announcements featuring thousands of new cases and hundreds of fatalities a day, still thinks it's prudent to move to stage 2 of the lockdown where covered markets (or whatever they're called), car showrooms and primary schools reopen on 1st June.

I'll be charitable and say that I've suffered from another mishearing, I was sure that out glorious PM said something yesterday about letting us all know about further lockdown easing measures later this week. Far be it from me to take a cynical view but has the overwhelming the prospect of announcing a bit of good news to get good old Blighty back on its feet and dreaming of Ribena stained maps of the world and other better times proved just too tempting?

I see Tories are telling us to forget the other thing of the last few days, whatever that was, to concentrate on the important business at hand. So let's reconnect with the idea that our government's handling of the Virus has been shambolic since February.

Comment

Originally posted by tuckwat View Post
                              Western Super Mare hospital has had to stop admitting new patients. It is just over 2 weeks since VE Day where in my town people were sitting outside a (closed) pub squashed up together on picnic tables having a drink.
                              Apparently the hospital only has 5 critical care beds and a part time A&E department so this may not be the second wave. Just yet.

Comment

Exeter is still building its own Nightingale Hospital in the old Homebase. The expectation is there, and nearby.

Comment

I know a number of people who are sufficiently senior in the NHS in London and Birmingham to know and they are consistent in saying that they are working to prepare for a second peak later in the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
                                    That's really good news from Ireland.

Strangely Ireland's government still seems to think that not reopening their school until September is the most prudent course of action .

The UK's "government", with their announcements featuring thousands of new cases and hundreds of fatalities a day, still thinks it's prudent to move to stage 2 of the lockdown where covered markets (or whatever they're called), car showrooms and primary schools reopen on 1st June.
                                    Irish schools don't do anything much in June. Secondary school finishes for non exam years at the start of june, and the exams were cancelled. So there was nothing for secondary schools to do at all, and primary teachers kind of get the hump that secondary school teachers are already on holidays, so the last month is all long breaktimes, nature walks, and generally arsing around. Also the teachers unions just weren't going to do it. Primary school kids are still getting homework and stuff to do though and that will continue until the end of the month.

The UK govt doing shit like trying to reopen the schools and loosen restrictions, while the disease is still on the fucking rampage terrifies us. Far more than the assorted Brexit bollocks. We know that the UK is going to have to cave on that eventually. You can ignore reality, right up until the moment that the Economic superpower you are pissing off, punches you on the nose. But this coronavirus thing is happening now, and is a serious and immediate threat. All of our efforts will be for aught if it just immediately spreads back into the country from the UK, and it's not clear what is going to be the upshot of this whole Common travel area thing.

Comment

Schools re-open next week here in BC. Parents were asked in advance whether they are going to send their kids or not. Significantly more answered "yes" than "no." This is probably because if they answer "no" there's no option to change their minds, but a "yes" allows them to opt out at any time later. I understand why it was done, but it puts teachers in a real bind as they have no idea what size classes they're going to have.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

Irish schools don't do anything much in June. Secondary school finishes for non exam years at the start of june, and the exams were cancelled. So there was nothing for secondary schools to do at all, and primary teachers kind of get the hump that secondary school teachers are already on holidays, so the last month is all long breaktimes, nature walks, and generally arsing around. Also the teachers unions just weren't going to do it. Primary school kids are still getting homework and stuff to do though and that will continue until the end of the month.

The UK govt doing shit like trying to reopen the schools and loosen restrictions, while the disease is still on the fucking rampage terrifies us. Far more than the assorted Brexit bollocks. We know that the UK is going to have to cave on that eventually. You can ignore reality, right up until the moment that the Economic superpower you are pissing off, punches you on the nose. But this coronavirus thing is happening now, and is a serious and immediate threat. All of our efforts will be for aught if it just immediately spreads back into the country from the UK, and it's not clear what is going to be the upshot of this whole Common travel area thing.
                                        Similar over here with the Nordic Passport Union. I live in the Covid-colony part that everyone else would prefer to keep behind a wall.

Comment

https://twitter.com/devisridhar/status/1264995398961303552

Comment

https://twitter.com/ProfDaveAndress/status/1265185186960080896?s=20

Comment

And this is without factoring in the fact that Great Britain is an island and would therefore be far easier to restrict and monitor the movement of people in or out once control measures are implemented. Germany has nine neighbouring countries to deal with as well.
                                              Last edited by Sean of the Shed; 26-05-2020, 12:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
                                                Mrs P is on a traders meeting call this afternoon, but the overwhelming feeling from people is that they are Very Unhappy with being asked / nudged into doing these events. Social distancing is impossible and trying to protect yourself and your stock is difficult enough without considering that you have to make the display attractive enough to actually sell anything. (And what the hell do you do with items of jewellery. People will want to try them for size etc.)

Comment

I read somewhere (likely in Italian) that some jewelers were using barber-like vats of disinfectant or ultraviolet light boxes for this purpose, but it is clearly sub-optimal.

Another approach in effect at some groceries here is giving all customers a pair of cheap disposable gloves, assuming they can be sourced.

It may be of some comfort to know that it appears that surface transmission appears to be rather less likely than first feared.

Comment

Typical copycats - now NI records its first zero deaths day since March 18th:

https://twitter.com/DarranMarshall/status/1265272508875444224

Comment

Working...
                                                    X